XP
Country
Finland
reddin said:
Ravte said:
reddin said:
I couldn't help myself and downloaded the ROM this morning
shy.gif

Spent some quality time with it during my train ride today, and I'm loving every minute of it!
I'm nearly two hours in and did the first real boss fight (during which I died the first couple of times
smile.gif
My fears of the game being too easy were luckily unfounded) and have entered the second 'kingdom'.
I've had to do some backtracking but nothing major, and traversal is quick enough that it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Raising Chomp looks like it's going to be even deeper that I thought, which is awesome.

Quick tip: At the start screen press: up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, select. You should hear Ellie yell something, and now you have an alternative color palette and a discount in the stores. To disable this enter the code again. This was the pre-order bonus from GameStop.

P.S. Is it possible to transfer saves to retail carts? Because I'd prefer to play on my retail copy when it comes in.

Edit:
I'm also starting to get the hang of the combo system, and that really helps to make some money quickly.

How does the combo system work? Is it the same as spamming melee strikes and the blue counter rises on the down right corner of your upper screen?
I've only tested it on an tougher monster because the other ones die from one strike heh. So I thought it might've been that the lowbies just are meant to drop 1 coins.

Anyone know a site with a Chomp guide on it? Would be fun to see the whole evolving map, or if someone has cheated the game for the full map, please post a pic.
Once you get the 'launcher' ability (up+melee) you can juggle enemies, even after they died. It seems that every hit it has a chance to drop some stuff, after a number of hits (15? 20?) the rewards seem to get better (e.g. large coins in stead of small ones).
I find myself almost exclusively using melee attacks because of this, and because I find it more fun than shooting them
smile.gif

Another thing: While I like raising the different Chomp forms, he doesn't seem very useful to me as Ellie gets more and more abilities. I can see the different elements playing more of a role in the later in the game, but for now I can just beat the crap out of everything
smile.gif

I haven't seen any evo-charts, but the game has just come out, so that doesn't surprise me really. I'd like one though..

Yeah just got the 5 strike combo and the upper cut last night. Didn't think bout adding the upper cut on my combos to get the enemy back higher up in the air.

After thinking bout the "Boost Melee Power" ability I decided to not to buy it since it allows me to get to even higher combos since the monster won't die on the first 3 strikes, but is it worth it? I'm on my way to the second boss and so far no monsters are resistant to flinching so I am able to just pound em away 24/7 and do the combo, but I wonder if the end game - monsters will not be like this....

Sylar1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully the cheat database gets update specifically for Unlimited money or maybe 3000 coins roughly, i;m not about to **** grind to get money just to open a door after upgrading my health, it's stupid.

TheViolentOne

Trophies
XP
Country
yeah game is amazing but the "go there tkae that come back then go here" thing makes me sick
dry.gif
but still evoluting our monster is pretty damn good
smile.gif

reddin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ravte said:
reddin said:
Ravte said:
reddin said:
shy.gif

Spent some quality time with it during my train ride today, and I'm loving every minute of it!
I'm nearly two hours in and did the first real boss fight (during which I died the first couple of times
smile.gif
My fears of the game being too easy were luckily unfounded) and have entered the second 'kingdom'.
I've had to do some backtracking but nothing major, and traversal is quick enough that it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Raising Chomp looks like it's going to be even deeper that I thought, which is awesome.

Quick tip: At the start screen press: up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, select. You should hear Ellie yell something, and now you have an alternative color palette and a discount in the stores. To disable this enter the code again. This was the pre-order bonus from GameStop.

P.S. Is it possible to transfer saves to retail carts? Because I'd prefer to play on my retail copy when it comes in.

Edit:
I'm also starting to get the hang of the combo system, and that really helps to make some money quickly.

How does the combo system work? Is it the same as spamming melee strikes and the blue counter rises on the down right corner of your upper screen?
I've only tested it on an tougher monster because the other ones die from one strike heh. So I thought it might've been that the lowbies just are meant to drop 1 coins.

Anyone know a site with a Chomp guide on it? Would be fun to see the whole evolving map, or if someone has cheated the game for the full map, please post a pic.
Once you get the 'launcher' ability (up+melee) you can juggle enemies, even after they died. It seems that every hit it has a chance to drop some stuff, after a number of hits (15? 20?) the rewards seem to get better (e.g. large coins in stead of small ones).
I find myself almost exclusively using melee attacks because of this, and because I find it more fun than shooting them
smile.gif

Another thing: While I like raising the different Chomp forms, he doesn't seem very useful to me as Ellie gets more and more abilities. I can see the different elements playing more of a role in the later in the game, but for now I can just beat the crap out of everything
smile.gif

I haven't seen any evo-charts, but the game has just come out, so that doesn't surprise me really. I'd like one though..

Yeah just got the 5 strike combo and the upper cut last night. Didn't think bout adding the upper cut on my combos to get the enemy back higher up in the air.

After thinking bout the "Boost Melee Power" ability I decided to not to buy it since it allows me to get to even higher combos since the monster won't die on the first 3 strikes, but is it worth it? I'm on my way to the second boss and so far no monsters are resistant to flinching so I am able to just pound em away 24/7 and do the combo, but I wonder if the end game - monsters will not be like this....
I say it's worth it, because enemies only start dropping stuff after they died. I also found a way to make Chomp useful during all this. I don't remember who learned this, but the skill is called 'Drill 'Em, Mister', it's water based, and it's a multi-hit straight forward attack that also launches the enemies a bit. Using this I can easily do 45-50 hit combos
laugh.gif

I currently have all the 'foundling' and 'ballista' forms unlocked, but only four of the sentinel forms. To unlock the others I need presents (I think. It says "Likes surprises") and I don't know where I can reliably get them. Anyone have any ideas?

Just beat the 4th boss and I'm going to spend some time leveling the different forms to get some more traits.
Still thoroughly in love with this game
smile.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TheViolentOne said:
yeah game is amazing but the "go there tkae that come back then go here" thing makes me sick
dry.gif
smile.gif

Pretty much my sentiments exactly. I love the gameplay, but if they had made quick-travel options at each library, a la Castlevania, it would have been so much better. It's not a game breaker, but it is annoying. Maybe that was there way of forcing you to grind for money.
unsure.gif

Ravte

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
reddin said:
Ravte said:
reddin said:
Ravte said:
reddin said:
shy.gif

smile.gif

Edit:

smile.gif

smile.gif

I say it's worth it, because enemies only start dropping stuff after they died. I also found a way to make Chomp useful during all this. I don't remember who learned this, but the skill is called 'Drill 'Em, Mister', it's water based, and it's a multi-hit straight forward attack that also launches the enemies a bit. Using this I can easily do 45-50 hit combos
laugh.gif

I currently have all the 'foundling' and 'ballista' forms unlocked, but only four of the sentinel forms. To unlock the others I need presents (I think. It says "Likes surprises") and I don't know where I can reliably get them. Anyone have any ideas?

Just beat the 4th boss and I'm going to spend some time leveling the different forms to get some more traits.
smile.gif

Maybe try find some monsters who drop treasure chests/gift boxes? I mean, that's what I understand since opening the chest/box leads to the discovery of something you can't expect, hence the surprise.

Anyway I need your guys help, I'm trying to level the Ballista form called Petdozer (the one with the Drill em Mister ability, assoome for combos
biggrin.gif
) to the ultimate dark form. The dark form requires cookies, video games and inflicting/receiving dmg. I've fed it already with cookies but the meter goes only up to half. So anyone know where I can find monsters who drop videogames or what does the inflicting/receiving damage means? I've tried giving it exercise items, frisbees and that stuff which do damage to enemy monsters and also I've tried to let Chomp himself do the damage and take hit from some monsters....but the meter hasn't gone up a bit. =/

reddin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ravte said:
reddin said:
laugh.gif

smile.gif

Maybe try find some monsters who drop treasure chests/gift boxes? I mean, that's what I understand since opening the chest/box leads to the discovery of something you can't expect, hence the surprise.

Anyway I need your guys help, I'm trying to level the Ballista form called Petdozer (the one with the Drill em Mister ability, assoome for combos
biggrin.gif
) to the ultimate dark form. The dark form requires cookies, video games and inflicting/receiving dmg. I've fed it already with cookies but the meter goes only up to half. So anyone know where I can find monsters who drop videogames or what does the inflicting/receiving damage means? I've tried giving it exercise items, frisbees and that stuff which do damage to enemy monsters and also I've tried to let Chomp himself do the damage and take hit from some monsters....but the meter hasn't gone up a bit. =/
I remember coming across some monsters that dropped gift boxes but I can't remember where. Other place I could think of was the third boss, but I'm way past that, and didn't really have a use for it at the time.
frown.gif

I unlocked the dark and light forms yesterday. At some point the shop will sell the videogames, and you'll just need to use him in battle (skills count I believe). Try to unlock the dark form before Petdozer reaches lvl30, because I've read that you're screwed otherwise.

Edit:
Found out that the Magic Hat item seems to work for 'Likes Surprises', which is an item you can buy! Now I can continue unlocking all the forms.
smile.gif

The Magic Hat is expensive though
frown.gif

Edit 2:
Now I need jump rope..

reddin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
GeekyGuy said:
TheViolentOne said:
dry.gif
smile.gif

Pretty much my sentiments exactly. I love the gameplay, but if they had made quick-travel options at each library, a la Castlevania, it would have been so much better. It's not a game breaker, but it is annoying. Maybe that was there way of forcing you to grind for money.
unsure.gif

The backtracking can get a little silly at some points, but traversal is pretty quick usually. I kept hoping the shops would turn into warp portals, but it doesn't seem like it.

QUOTE(Blizziz @ Mar 22 2011, 06:48 PM)
Im not getting any further with springing over the wall
A little more info might help us understand where you are exactly, because I don't have a clue what part you are talking about
smile.gif

Freek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i picked this game up yesterday after knowing nothing about it other than seeing it mentioned here on the Temp

i must say...i really really like this game...very easy to pick up and play and very much like an old school side scroller e.g. Metroid or Castlevaina and with the little pet it adds a nice little mix

now im only like 11% into the game but i dont have any issues with having to backtrack to finish objectives...but that maybe cause im old school and grew up playing games where thats how you had to play

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Freek said:
i picked this game up yesterday after knowing nothing about it other than seeing it mentioned here on the Temp

i must say...i really really like this game...very easy to pick up and play and very much like an old school side scroller i.e. Metroid or Castlevaina and with the little pet it adds a nice little mix

now im only like 11% into the game but i dont have any issues with having to backtrack to finish objectives...but that maybe cause im old school and grew up playing games where thats how you had to play
Well when your near the end, there is a crapload of backtracking. Even for a Retro gamer such as myself it gets a little annoying, but because this game is so easy it's no big deal.

Sylar1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
God i'm getting so damn sick of the damn last stage.

Just got the stone blast destroyer attack. Went through i think a purple portal, eventually i go into a room after an item room near 2 diamonds where i have to fight a lot of enemies, the floating strong red ones, the purple ones, the mace alligators, etc. I cannot get past this room, the difficulty curve has become stupid, the boss before this was a piece of cake and now i have go through teleporters, fight these stupid enemies, etc?

I've used the attack from my monster that shoots the blue homing attacks, even then and trying to heal i eventually keep dying.

I have to go through 8 rooms just to get back to this part just to die again, stupid stupid ****** difficulty curve.

Ravte

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Is there a "special form" for the adult version of Chomp, like the Light and Dark for baby/teenaged Chomp?

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
GeekyGuy said:
TheViolentOne said:
dry.gif
smile.gif

unsure.gif

It's just a cheap trick to give the illusion of being bigger than it really is. The game in its whole is very short, hence the backtracking and no teleports to make it appear 'bigger'.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, finished it this morning, clocking in at right around eight hours. Kinda short, even for this type of game, but I'll probably replay it. The backtracking is certainly a drag, but now that know exactly where to go, I don't have to dilly dally. Besides, I want to see what some of the other monster forms are. Anyone have a map for the evo tree?

Ringo619

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pretty good game i was expecting it was gonna be bad but it is a good game but what pisses of me if you have to visit places you already have to unlock stuff kinda a pain

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: After my shower +1