Hardware Mobidapter, the ultimate solution for Gamecube USB Loading ?

QueenKong

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi there !

I'm really interessed (like everyone here in I guess) in playing my Gamecube games from USB. Unfortunatly, the only ways to play NGC games from an external device are WODE (but with audio problems...) and Swiss, which allows to play games from SD Gecko or an HDD via an (awful) IDE-EXI adapter...

But I've found something that may be interesting. It's called Mobidapter and is an micro-SD to USB adapter ! Here's the link of the product :

http://www.elandigitalsystems.com/adapter/mobidapter.php

sdmb1000.jpg

It works with almost every USB key, although I haven't found anything about a HDD compatibility. But I think it should work if the HDD isn't self-powered. (information to be confirmed)
Does anyone already have this adapter ? I think that, connected to an SD Gecko, it can be the ultimate solution for Gamecube USB Loading. What do you think about that ?

Another video, showing that the adapter works with the Nintendo DS :

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwqPouoT7AA[/youtube]

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Are you sure that spending 30+ bucks on this are a better investment than good 16 GB sdhc card for 20 bucks? 16 GB should be enough for 11 full GC discs, and some more if you shrink the games. Also, if you do your research, then you would have a card that is guaranteed to work well, while this Mobidapter and the used HDD would be 2 different sources for complications.

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this looks like a total scam, every one knows the front sd card reader is cut off when you switch to game cube mode. so this would not work on the front sd card reader. that is why we have to use the sd gecko card. not unless there is an update from mod mii or other devp. that lets the front sd card reader stay active. but i don't think so. this is why the ide hdd needs it own power source to work.

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not a scam what this person is proposing is to connect this adapter to an SD gecko using an SD micro to SD adapter and then connecting a USB drive to that. There has been none to try this but hey go ahead and try. it's not really that big a thing you still have to use swiss or the early version SDboot. It's not really worthwhile unless you are certain the investment will work. if you have reason to try this SD on your stuff go ahead. I'd advise using a self powered drive though as I doubt the device provides enough power to sustain a USB drive. Not to mention that this will also have a potential for a rediculous speed reduction. there is so much hardware doing so many different things that there is an untold amount of things that can and likely will go wrong here. If it works great. if not well too bad.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
shortz1994 said:
this looks like a total scam, every one knows the front sd card reader is cut off when you switch to game cube mode. so this would not work on the front sd card reader. that is why we have to use the sd gecko card. not unless there is an update from mod mii or other devp. that lets the front sd card reader stay active. but i don't think so. this is why the ide hdd needs it own power source to work.
He is talking about plugging this into an SD Gecko. If you could not work that out, you are fairly stupid IMO. And "ModMii" isn't a developer. It is a program. Made by a person who is NEVER going to make any useful contribution to GC USB loading (because he is not a hacker, he just wrote a "useful" batch script - not flamming here, just point out he isn't a hacker).

Just had to get that off my chest. As for the OP, I'm not interested in any sort of USB loading. I wonder if that thing would work with DS flash carts though, and if it requires a micro SDHC slot?

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SD Gecko talks to SD cards using SPI mode. It is not mandatory for micro SD cards to support SPI. Maybe this device supports it, maybe it doesn't; I know I definitely wouldn't count on it.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
It might be easier to use a USB Gecko and some kind of USB Serial to mass storage adapter. I believe something similar was done for the TI-86/TI-89 graphing calculators (see below). Either that, or hope someone comes up with a real USB Host adapter for the gamecube slot.

EDIT- found it, it is called the Expander 2 and more info can be found here http://www.ticalc.org/hardware/expanders/ though the Expander 2 home page is no longer up. Perhaps something similar could be done for the USB Gecko (which is also a serial device)?

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
um du. i know what mod mii is. i was just saying that this is a scam, not the person posting it is a scam, but the product is. if it works great, i'll be the first one to eat my own words. you'll still need sd gecko an a separate port for hdd. not unless swiss could be put on hdd only..

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
shortz1994 said:
um du. i know what mod mii is. i was just saying that this is a scam, not the person posting it is a scam, but the product is. if it works great, i'll be the first one to eat my own words. you'll still need sd gecko an a separate port for hdd. not unless swiss could be put on hdd only..
The product is not sold for use with GC ISO loaders, so it can hardly be a scam. The author of this thread does not promise anything to you as a reward for something you give or do for him, so the post is no scam either. It is only an idea, which might work, or might not.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
shortz1994 said:
Well you don't seem to know seeing as you said "modmii or some other developer" as if modmii were a developer, and also seeing as you suggested modmii would come up with a solution for GC USB loading which is just plain stupid. If anything, the developer of ModMii (xflak40) would come up with the solution, but that ain't gonna happen either. If GC USB loading were to happen properly, it'd be by a proper hacker, not someone who writes batch scripts.

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's highly unlikely that anyone anywhere will come up with a solution that uses the USB ports of the wii to load games for Gamecube that actually works and isn't just a POC.... It's just too complicated to fix at this time given the memory limitations of the wii... There are options that let people conect a hard drive and load already and the IDE-EXI isn't really easy to get. Your best bet is a Wiikey fusion running from SD or a Wode running a USB drive. Either way it's not going to be a solution that works without opening the system up.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
SifJar said:
shortz1994 said:
Well you don't seem to know seeing as you said "modmii or some other developer" as if modmii were a developer, and also seeing as you suggested modmii would come up with a solution for GC USB loading which is just plain stupid. If anything, the developer of ModMii (xflak40) would come up with the solution, but that ain't gonna happen either. If GC USB loading were to happen properly, it'd be by a proper hacker, not someone who writes batch scripts.
It's true, I am probably the last person who would be able to come up with a GC USB-Loader... but then again, it wouldn't even matter if I was an elite dev, if crediar gave up on dios mios, I'd say its beyond the capabilities of even the most "proper hackers". But you can bet your ass if someone ever does figure it out, I'll find a way to add support for it to ModMii.

Also, I'm not claiming to be in the same league as the most elite wii hackers out there, far from it (very very far), but I am a hacker none the less. I've made small contributions to apps that run on the Wii like the d2x cIOS installer, yawmm, the shoplifting channel (it was also at my suggestion that this app was never released). I made Internet Favourites Forwarder Channels all by myself (mind u it wasn't that complicated). I've made modifications of neogamma (autoboot mod), nusfilegrabber and probably more that I'm forgetting. I've beta tested more apps than I can count for dozens of different devs; and many features added to those apps were based on my ideas (of course they did all the work, lol). Anyways, at best all the above makes me a novice wii hacker, not a pro like giantpune, WiiPower, cwstjdenobs, etc. But just because a batch script (ie. ModMii) is my greatest contribution to the scene doesn't mean all I am is "someone who writes batch scripts". Besides, I know a fair amount of shit that isn't related to Wii hacking but is still hacking... and I'd rather not go into the details publicly... but lets just say I've managed to learn a few tricks from the many friends I've made since joining the Wii Scene
biggrin.gif

Don't get me wrong, you and I go way back and I'm not disagreeing with your statements... I just don't like how you phrased it.

Peace

PS. It's just "XFlak" now, not "xflak40"
biggrin.gif

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
SifJar said:
Sorry if I offended you, I merely meant that such a task is far beyond (almost?) everyone in the Wii scene.

I have to agree with you there. How many people are capable of testing even this unlikely theory:
SD card access is not shutdown in GC mode, front sd is just not accessed by anything in GC mode. And since there's no IOS running, you need pure ppc code to access it, like the one from BootMii(the GUI thingy not boot2 or IOS).

PS: Yes, sometimes i like flame wars

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
WiiBricker said:
Why waste money for this? There is just no point.

If it was a micro sd card with wifi adapter with a conterpart which you can connect a usb hdd, then we would be talking. Or accessing a folder on your PC. And that is something kinda realistic considering there are sd cards with wifi adapter already.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I think I've seen this idea mentioned in the swiss thread as well. And I said it then, and I say it now: I just love the idea.

wii -> SD gecko -> SD to microSD slot -> mobidapter -> USB drive. It'll be like having an electronic leaning tower of Pisa on your table.
tongue.gif

...and I don't get why WODE gets such a bad rap about not having the streaming audio stuff. It's not like it ruins gameplay. Or, for that matter, that swiss doesn't have the exact same "issue" with it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1