EXTERMINATE!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,

I have some MKVs that i'd like to make 360 compatible... i suppose AVI would be the best option?

Are there any good free methods?
Also, what are some of the better programs to do that (paid or free - along with other conversions, for random formats to .avi).
Are there any programs that are faster (paid or free)?

I just like getting what info i can, and google is no help, thanks to all the ads and BS fake forum posts that can be found.

Thanks!

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Converting video is a VERY CPU-intensive process, there's not much you can do outside of buying a faster processor to speed it up. Even on the fastest computers out now converting a video will take time.

SUPER is a free video converter that converts... everything I've seen.
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_so...oders/super.cfm
It takes a bit to load and the GUI can be overwhelming, though.

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/nxe/...laybackFAQ.aspx

That lists which types of AVI files the 360 will play. If you want to play it safe, use the guide linked in the post above, or use SUPER to convert it to WMV.

mrSmiles

Dundunduuuun
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PharaohsVizier said:
Personally I love alltoavi, has rather simplistic menu with all the important options.

+1 alltoavi

if youre looking for something thats fairly easy to use and allows you to convert mkv to avi, this is good although the others mentioned are also options for converting needs.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
From experience, its best to convert to WMV and you can play all your Videos with relative ease on your 360

There are many programs you could use, alltoavi is great

yet i personally use Xilisoft Ultimate Video Converter.

Best of Luck.
smile.gif

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Rydian said:
Converting video is a VERY CPU-intensive process, there's not much you can do outside of buying a faster processor to speed it up. Even on the fastest computers out now converting a video will take time.

SUPER is a free video converter that converts... everything I've seen.
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_so...oders/super.cfm
It takes a bit to load and the GUI can be overwhelming, though.

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/nxe/...laybackFAQ.aspx

That lists which types of AVI files the 360 will play. If you want to play it safe, use the guide linked in the post above, or use SUPER to convert it to WMV.
This.

I don't think there is any better option then SUPER

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always use this utility
GOTSent
It automates the process described in one of the previous posts.
I have been using it for a few months and have had good results. Perfect for converting Anime collections.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First what is in your MKV file- while it may be something that needs converting it still may be XVID or something nice.

If it is then use MKVextract (part of MKVtoolnix http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/ and you might want a GUI for it http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVExtractGUI )
There are then any number of AVI muxers, avidemux works well for me if you are not wanting a high end tool.

On the other hand it can get complex- MKV is used for a reason and that reason is that it is very flexible and highly featured unlike AVI which is useless for anything slightly more exotic. Flexible entails things like variable frame rate which is horrific to try and convert well.

The 360 does support H264 as well although I am not sure how well (there are many things that only good decoders support but they do make the video that much better), you can then pile it into an MP4 with something like YAMB:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/YAMB

I suggest trying this before trying to convert as it will only be limited by the speed of your hard drive and also will look better for not having been converted.

After that pretty much everything people have linked uses one of a handful of deservedly popular open source media encoding/decoding platforms of some form as the backend (usually FFmpeg) so have at whatever you like, just do not pay for anything.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you, everyone, for your replies. I have a few options to check
smile.gif

Mantis41 said:
I always use this utility
GOTSent
It automates the process described in one of the previous posts.
I have been using it for a few months and have had good results. Perfect for converting Anime collections.

Well you may have hit what i need on the head. I've stumbled across the process while doing searching, but it looks daunting due to the number of steps. And, that last sentence may or may not be exactly what i'm looking to convert
ninja.gif

mew512

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i am right now converting some rmvb files to mp4 hd for my ps3 with xilisoft ultimate converter it does everything including ds and wii and nearly every format of video and audio

if you get a trial version it only does 3% of your files so i would get the full version one way or another

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If you have a fast enough cpu you could use TVersity. It'll stream your mkv files to your 360 using your LAN and transcode them on the fly.

The 360 supports H.264 also with certain restrictions and in an mp4 container. It's worth checking out if you can simple put it in an mp4 container as FAST6191 has said. You'll also have to make sure the audio is in the required format below for the 360 to accept it in an mp4 container.

QUOTE said:
Xbox 360 provides the following H.264 support:
• File name extensions: .mp4, .m4v, mp4v, .mov
• Containers: MPEG-4, QuickTime
• Video profiles: Baseline, main, and high (up to level 4.1) profiles
• Video bitrate: 10 Mbps with resolutions of 1920 x 1080 at 30 fps
• Audio profiles: two-channel AAC low complexity (LC)
• Audio max bitrate: No restrictions

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GOTSent errored out on the AAC conversion.

Gonna try a different piece of software.

Not using tversity (i've used it in the past) because i have a media external HD for all thing 360 watchable. I'm working on some TV series right now. This anime is in MKV and i want to throw it onto the HD.

Thanks again, for the help guys
smile.gif

EDIT:
Now trying- AllToAVI

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WildWon said:
GOTSent errored out on the AAC conversion.

Gonna try a different piece of software.

Not using tversity (i've used it in the past) because i have a media external HD for all thing 360 watchable. I'm working on some TV series right now. This anime is in MKV and i want to throw it onto the HD.

Thanks again, for the help guys
smile.gif

EDIT:
Now trying- AllToAVI

Sorry, I only gave you half of the instructions. I already had the AC3 filter and Haali Medi splitter installed on mine as part of the codec pack I use.
Read the following link and Gotsent should work fine.
Gotsent required filters
rolleyes.gif

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, i must be an idiot. AllToAVI converted em all to 5-8 min long.

I know i'm not taking the time i should to use these properly, its just such a minimally needed task, and my learning time in extremely limited (time in general, that is).

I'll give Gotsent another try w/ the new filters.

Thanks
smile.gif

EDIT: also snagging SUPER to test that beast out as well
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ckbBpSKhw