1. VitaType

VitaType GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    They didn't tried it for a along time to be fair. Since when did MS become so "google" in killing a project after a short while if it dosn't meeting astronomic high expactations? Guess FB just had a extremly good offer :rolleyes:

Last edited by VitaType, Jun 23, 2020
    Ryccardo likes this.
  2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Edited highlights are still constrained by TV formats. Doing this internet lark then someone can trim a play session from 2 hours to 20 minutes or 53 as the needs of the thing dictate, not to mention I can watch it at 2x speed.

Also see NFL RedZone. Basically a service that will flick between things live as it looks like interesting plays are about to happen. Rather popular.

As far as live comments and chat... watched the occasion stream after the fact (at double speed of course) some of the various film commentary types, building types, history types and the like have done. Never really seen anything added vs a prebaked FAQ (indeed most of the time the minor curation of a prebaked FAQ makes for a tighter setup even if the result is scarcely edited.
    Most of the time the break to deal with the paid donation chat things just interrupts flow pointlessly or drags out the end of such things.

Length is not a problem for me. 4 hours (though practically 2 because I watch everything at 2x speed, even managed to crack being able to watch the most rural of your countrymen at such a clip a little while back) if it is an interesting conversation is fine by me. Cut out the dead air, go nowhere lines of conversation, maybe shove in a little overlay if you can't do it live (though even the most technically inept have provisions for that now) and I have some compelling stuff to watch.

Also "polished youtube video"... still shocked such a thing exists, though I suppose it is a new type of editing in many ways (in TV world most things being padded or cut down to fit a TV time slot and pander to whatever it deems baseline vs as long as it needs to be with "as much detail as I would want if I watched it").

Edit
    Microsoft has been a bit better in recent years but they used to do it well.

Of if you prefer if the Simpsons have parodied you doing just that...

15th February 1998 for that one https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/Das_Bus

Last edited by FAST6191, Jun 23, 2020
  3. BrandonCD

BrandonCD Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Overkill.

4. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    The problem is partially storage space. In order for them to host videos they need a lot of space, or they can use P2P, but that invites some other issues.

Then there's also other things to consider like infrastructure, staff (moderators and the like), and associated costs (whether they run their own servers, or rent them and pay for a domain name).

Last edited by RedBlueGreen, Jun 23, 2020
    Silent_Gunner and RichardTheKing like this.
  5. Dominator211

Dominator211 JFK's Jelly Donut

United States
    Damn it Microsoft they just lost big time, I'm sure the Zuck man is having some form of euphoria right now, I don't trust Facebook not even a little bit so the fact that Microsoft is partnering with them is making me sick. Facebook is a huge privacy concern and deserves to be tried in a court of law... but that's not for this thread.

Ryccardo likes this.
  6. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    I don't exactly trust Microsoft either. I'm only using Windows until all of my software can be run on Ubuntu

7. CrAzYLiFe

CrAzYLiFe Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Australia
    I feel like mixers biggest issue was marketing, outside of my Xbox eco system I would never have really known mixer existed, I feel it was a better platform for viewers however.

And how I use my Xbox I rarely even saw much mixer content on my home screen, mainly because I avoided community stuff and pushed it way down the bottom.

8. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

United States
    Yeah, MatPat's ego is his downfall. But that's besides the point. At least when it came to his video about the situation regarding Mixer signing Ninja, he still made some good points that while it was great for Ninja to accept, it obviously wasn't to the long term health of the platform.

9. dude1

dude1 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    not saying Mixer had good brand caché but facebook gaming will be worse it conjours thoughts of grandma playing farmville not "serious gaming" which is what they'd want.

IMO they would be better doing the reverse (still merge but keep the mixer name instead of facebook gaming) or better yet do a complete rebrand with xbox in the name

10. sleepstart

sleepstart Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I didn't even know Facebook Gaming existed. I don't think many former Mixer streamers are gonna go there instead of Twitch, at least...

11. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal GBAtemp Guru

Portugal
    I never actually touched Mixer.

12. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Cubi™ :P

Antarctica
    I like how Microsoft has a history of basically just throwing a lot of money at something and then it all falls apart in like a year or two because Microsoft basically has underpants gnome logic.
    Step 1: Throw money at something
    Step 2:
    Step 3: Profit!

13. Shalashaska98

Shalashaska98 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Mixer sounds like a dating app

14. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Probably more venture capitalist logic.

You see something making someone a lot of money or looking like it will be the next big thing.
    You could develop it but you are a lumbering dinosaur that would take months of committees to approve it.
    Assuming you can't just buy out the something from the first line you buy a competitor already starting it, and see if you can boost them with your brand or your money to buy press attention, possibly even pretend to be down with the kids and their struggles (how many things started as broadcast your thoughts, share your thoughts, sell what you like as long as it is not illegal and eventually ended up being that but also if we don't like it and our reasons are arbitrary).
    If your venture pops absolutely massive (150% profits is nothing, you want thousands. You might settle for market domination as that brings other things like adverts, eyeballs and in Microsoft's case then retention for their other products) then you win, if not then dispose of it and move on to the next thing.

15. MeAndHax

MeAndHax Impolite person wtih some modding knowledge.

Germany
    A thing where you put fruits or other crap and it shakes it for 10 minutes to give you juice

16. MrShawnTRods

MrShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Everyone that streamed on there always had multi stream on twitch and YouTube.

I don't know of many people who exclusively steamed on mixer.

17. StrayGuitarist

StrayGuitarist A genuine feline disaster.

United States
    Gross. As if Facebook wasn't a conglomerate enough. Just another platform to avoid like the modern plague.

18. WhiteMaze

WhiteMaze GBAtemp Maniac

Portugal
    I made an account on mixer 2 days ago, as I was planning on migrating my stream from Twitch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. huma_dawii

huma_dawii GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    The question here is, what does it means for Xbox streamers? What app will shop up on Xbox One now?

20. nikeymikey

nikeymikey This is now a Spiderman thread.........

United Kingdom
    Personally couldnt give two shits about anything streaming related, when did the world become populated by lazy sheep who just wanna watch someone playing the latest game fad rather than actually playing it themselves. Its all just following the crowd. BORING!!!!!
    I have never watched a gaming stream of any kind and doubt i ever will.

IMO gaming is dying, its just becoming more about watching people make money plus 95% of all games nowadays are crap anyway.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - shutting, Facebook, merged