1. MrCokeacola

MrCokeacola Xbox Connoisseur

Canada
    As a Xbox fan and Mixer streamer myself in the past. I can safely say nothing of value will be lost here.

2. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

United States
    Only really payed attention to it when it was Beam and only because some of my streamers used to use it.

3. Fisherman765

Fisherman765 Member
    Newcomer

Mexico
    I think being merged into Facebook Gaming is a fate worse than death.

4. RichardTheKing

RichardTheKing GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Something you use while cooking? IDK

banjo2 likes this.
  5. Digs

Digs GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Too bad Facebook video and streams are garbage. They have so much stolen and unregulated content on the platform that any one who streams there should be embarrassed. Not that I'm rooting for Twitch either. They both have their major issues going on, but they're at least not as sad as Facebook.

Though, at least my mom would watch my streams if I streamed on Facebook. =]

Silent_Gunner and RichardTheKing like this.
  6. RichardTheKing

Australia
    The only "stream" I'd put on Facebook and Twitch is of a certain golden colour.

7. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

United States
    While they Skype call each other during Minecraft.

Silent_Gunner likes this.
  8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Still never got the appeal of streaming when I could have nice edited video, possible to similar lengths, but somewhat curious to see Facebook picking up Microsoft's table scraps when they already have their own tech and install base.

I know they had farmville et al a few years back and I suppose they own oculus VR goggles. I am however not seeing where this one fits in with either their tech expansion, investment strategy, anti competition or their data gobbling.

Silent_Gunner and RichardTheKing like this.
  9. RichardTheKing

Australia
    Exactly why I've never once watched a stream. It's never as polished as a YouTube video, and most streams are far too long for me to even consider. On rare occasions I will watch a video that's over 50 min; watching something unedited and unpolished 2 h 50 min, or even longer? Hell no.

10. Dax_Fame

Dax_Fame Annoying Member

United States
    I'd say I can't believe it but I absolutely can...

Facebook gaming? I hate this world...

11. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Russia
    Are there even all that many youngster gamers who actively use Facebook at this point? Seems like a weird move, if anything.

12. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

United States
    Yeah, signing just Ninja on a big deal was not the way to really build a viable alternative to Twitch.

Even MatPat said the more viable plan for Mixer to have at least been able to stick around, was to foster a bunch of independents, rather than blow their cash on a single big entity.

13. RichardTheKing

Australia
    People still care what Mat thinks? I stopped caring about him and his channel a few years ago, because it just stopped being enjoyable.

14. Kadji

Kadji GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    It's more about communicating and building a community I think?
    Sure, watching someone play some game for 2 hours seems boring, but if the participation in the chat is good it can still be enjoyable, especially if you don't watch tryhards / pros.

It's more about the streamer you are watching and less about the game / the length of the session is what I want to say.

Pipistrele likes this.
  15. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    shutting down what? another lame streaming service oh well no loss there! if only this happened to youtube :P

16. 3DSBricker

3DSBricker Daily Active Member

Netherlands
    Was Mixer from Microsoft? Or from Facebook.

17. LightBeam

LightBeam GBAtemp Regular

France
    Tbh has a great service. The fastest streaming available with the least lag, the "hotzone" or "hypezone" where you would switch from stream to stream just to see only good moments (like when streamers were almost doing top 1 on Apex for example), liked the XP system and being able to buy things to interact on the stream
    Overall it was really good, I know this since it was called beam.pro and it was great, but it's hard to compete against Twitch that is supported by Amazon.
    Also YouTube did a better job having a contract with the Overwatch League, it's a way better deal than just having streamers doing their stuff on your platform. Maybe they should have done that.

Overall I think Mixer was just underrated and maybe had a better service than Twitch, but more people are there so eh, who cares, you just can't compete.

Tho Facebook Gaming seriously need to rebrand themselves cuz the name is horrendous.

Last edited by LightBeam, Jun 23, 2020
  18. RivenMain

RivenMain GBAtemp Regular

United States
    facebook has a gaming stream? If you can tell I haven't used Facebook in years. lol

19. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    I guess it's similar to sports. Some people might enjoy watching the "sportsballgame (tm)" live on "sportscablenetwork", others will be happy with watching the edited highlights later on.
    I know people pay 80€ per month for a sky subscription only to watch the football socer league games live.

Last edited by Localhorst86, Jun 23, 2020
    Kadji likes this.
  20. RichardTheKing

Australia
    *Soccer, otherwise known as "association football" with "er" added to the end because it was the fashion at the time to add "er" to contractions.

There's also those people who couldn't care less about either live sports or sports highlights.

nikeymikey likes this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - shutting, Facebook, merged