MiniSD Cards

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by aqsg72, Jun 4, 2006.

Jun 4, 2006

MiniSD Cards by aqsg72 at 11:42 AM (2,458 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. aqsg72
    OP

Newcomer aqsg72 Newbie

United Kingdom
    Hello

I've been lurking in these forums for a little while now, and I was hoping to get a little advice regarding MiniSD cards. I have now decided to buy a DS Lite, SuperCard MiniSD, Max Media Launcher and a 1GB MiniSD Card (and perhaps flash the firmware when I build up the confidence [​IMG])

However, I have read a few threads around that have looked at the difference of various MiniSD cards - brands and speeds. I decided that my best option would be to purchase both the SC and MiniSD at winsunx.com; so I am wondering, of the 3 MiniSD cards they list on their site, which is the best? (I suppose price doesn't really matter since they are within 4USD [​IMG])

KingMAX 1GB Mini Secure Digital Card US$ 36
    Kingston 1GB Mini SecureDigital Card US$ 32
    Eagletec 1GB Mini Secure Digital Card (Out of stock) No listed price
    [They have a SanDisk, but only in 2GB]

Also, none of the pages listing those cards seem to display the same notation I have seen used, such as 30X and 150X, which makes it difficult to gauge how good each card is.

I imagine I would be looking to try out NDS and GBA roms on the system; if this would affect which card would be best.

Many thanks

2. badger

Newcomer badger Member

United States
    I've come to the same purchasing conclusion as you, but I found slightly cheaper prices if you order from these US websites:

realhotstuff.com
    Supercard miniSD - $55

newegg.com
    RITEK 1GB MiniSD Flash Media Model MSDCR1G- SILV - $28

These prices include shipping (which may be faster than from china with winsunx) and the RITEK card has 5/5 M3 compatibility. I think the same combo from winsunx was $89 inc shipping to the US.

I don't know about how good the RITEK (or any other mini SD card) compatibility with the supercard is though - anyone else know?

Let us know how you find the compatibility if you go ahead with this combo!

3. mikehammerX9

Member mikehammerX9 GBAtemp Regular

Greece
    Hm, are newegg selling packages to the Europe?

4. yuwing

Member yuwing GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    i bought the kingmax 1gig, i would have gone for kingston because of the "name brand" but i got it becuase it was packaged with M3 mini sd package... so i just stuck with it. Since it was packaged, it can only hope it is compatible [​IMG]. it'll come in a week maybe.

5. mikehammerX9

Greece
    Can someone tell me one store, which has Ritek SD Mini 150x SD Mini 1GB or Kingston SD Mini 1GB, and they sell to Europe? If the store is in Europe, even better. Thanks.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Jackbauerx

Member Jackbauerx GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Kingston

in Europe Ritek cards are sold under the label "Traxdata":

Traxdata

7. mikehammerX9

Greece
    I didn't know that [​IMG] So it is the same card? Traxdata = Ritek? And both cards have 5 points in Castelvania test?

8. Jackbauerx

Member Jackbauerx GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Traxdata Mini SD x150

9. usurper77

Member usurper77 Advanced Member

United States
    Ritek Reviews

Click that link and if you scroll down a bit there is a review that says supercard compatibility is 100%. I ordered one of these late last week and am expecting it anyday. I was thinking about making a mini-documentary about getting my new supercard and mini sd card working. Sounds gay, don't it?

10. faceless

Member faceless pink sugar heart attack

United States
    the ritek mini's work great with supercard, my friend has one

11. aqsg72
    OP

Newcomer aqsg72 Newbie

United Kingdom
    I was thinking I would probably go for the Kingston, but after reading this post http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=325...ndpost&p=430917 I'm thinking the KingMax would be better, even if he's using the M3. I see that on winsunx they are reported as up to 7.5MB/s and 10MB/s respectively, as he comments....so I may just go for Kingmax now instead.

Also, on winsunx they have a bundle of the SC MiniSD and KingMax 1GB for $67.5, which is nice [​IMG]

12. badger

Newcomer badger Member

United States
    But after shipping (to the US) it actually works out slightly cheaper to buy them separately from newegg.com (ridata 1GB mini SD card) and realhotstuff.com, so if you are in the US that may be a better option.

13. aqsg72
    OP

Newcomer aqsg72 Newbie

United Kingdom
    Unfortunately I'm in the UK so I think I'm best off with winsunx for everything - unless there is a good site that ships to UK with that Ridata card (and at a good price).

14. CorruptJon

Member CorruptJon :)

United States
  15. mikehammerX9

Greece
    Yes.... and i still can't find a store, which have Ritek Ridata SD Mini 150x memory card and posting them in Europe... ahhhhhh [​IMG]

16. shaoranm

Newcomer shaoranm Advanced Member

Philippines
    Guys, I dont know if I just misread it but...

I was viewing the winsunx site, and I decided to compare the supercard set (with the sandisk, the only available set) and the separate purchase. When I compared it, the separate purchase is cheaper (purchasing them at the same time but not at as a set) by $1. Can someone else check this? I mean, what's the point of making a set of it wouldn't be cheaper than the separate purchase price?

This is the price I saw at the site:
    SuperCard Mini SD Adapter with 1GB Mini SD Card (SanDisk) -
    Price : USD$67.5 ~0.25 Kg

SanDisk 1GB Mini Secure Digital Card -
    Price : USD$29.5 ~0.1 Kg
    SuperCard Mini SD Adapter -
    Price : USD$37 ~0.1 Kg
    Total Price : USD$66.5

Just thinking...

17. yuwing

Member yuwing GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    it doesn't matter, just get it separately. the set might be old and they forgot to adjust the price, and mini SD or supercard decreased in price to compete with EZflash or G6 lite.

18. shaoranm

Newcomer shaoranm Advanced Member

Philippines
    That makes sense... Thanks! [​IMG]

19. aqsg72
    OP

Newcomer aqsg72 Newbie

United Kingdom
    Yeah the set used to involve the KingMax 1GB MiniSD which is $36 alone, I guess they'll adjust the price soon.

Btw, I decided to go with Eagletec MiniSD - now they seem to be listed as 'out of stock'. I hope it works well!

20. ChaosTheorySD

Member ChaosTheorySD GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I ordered a Ritek 1gb from Newegg. Only ~$30 shipped. Should probably be here tomorrow.