Homebrew Mini vMac for 3DS

LarBob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure it is case sensitive as it didn't work for me until I made it "vMac.ROM" exactly.

By the way, I made a video of it running here if anyone wants to see it in action. It runs at full speed with no issues on my N3DS.

Reactions: TarableCode
D

Deleted User

I got System 1.1b working this time.
9d983810442181295f1a0f61ef16aaf6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

TarableCode

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm pretty sure it is case sensitive as it didn't work for me until I made it "vMac.ROM" exactly.

By the way, I made a video of it running here if anyone wants to see it in action. It runs at full speed with no issues on my N3DS.

Awesome :D
It looks like the circle pad is being a bit of a pain so I'll have to put that on the list of things to do/fix.

Biovirulent

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Found some files, they were in .image. Apparently just rewriting the files to .dsk works! I thought it wouldn't. :P

Fazana

Professional Trashposter
Trophies
XP
Country
Could you also make it so the mouse can be controlled purely by touch? Rather than move the cursor with touch movement, just tap the screen to left click then touch and hold to click and drag? Feel it would be a lot less fiddly that way.

TarableCode

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Could you also make it so the mouse can be controlled purely by touch? Rather than move the cursor with touch movement, just tap the screen to left click then touch and hold to click and drag? Feel it would be a lot less fiddly that way.

It can, as long as the on screen keyboard is not being shown you can drag on the touch screen with the stylus to move the mouse.
It's relative movement though so.

Fazana

Professional Trashposter
Trophies
XP
Country
It can, as long as the on screen keyboard is not being shown you can drag on the touch screen with the stylus to move the mouse.
It's relative movement though so.
Yeah, meant absolute movement, so basically how touchscreens work today.

So instead of dragging the mouse into the top left then holding R, I could just tap and hold at the top left and drag down to whatever menu and holding it down would act as holding the mouse button down

D

Deleted User

I find it amazing how we can now run Windows, Mac, and Linux on a Nintendo 3DS. This is some of the most insane, brilliant shit I've ever seen. Excellent work devs, and thank you so much for your efforts in porting these OS's.

Reactions: Deleted User

TarableCode

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You said you could play Oregon Trail?
What file format does it have to be, and do I name it dskX, too?

You have to copy it to the disk image, not gonna lie it's a pain in the ass to do on anything but a Mac.
Basically:

Download archive containing game.
Copy archive to disk image using HFV Explorer.
Copy stuffit expander to disk image using HFV Explorer.
Open Mini vMac on your desktop.
Install stuffit expander.
Expand game.

I think there's a link to stuffit expander on the main Mini vMac site.

Yeah, meant absolute movement, so basically how touchscreens work today.

So instead of dragging the mouse into the top left then holding R, I could just tap and hold at the top left and drag down to whatever menu and holding it down would act as holding the mouse button down

I'll see how I can add this into the next release, maybe as a toggle or something.

Last edited by TarableCode,
Reactions: Biovirulent

TarableCode

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
System Tools, I believe.

What you need to do is make a proper disk image and install an operating system to it.
Check the mini vmac page http://www.gryphel.com/c/minivmac/ for guides on how to do this.

You must use the desktop version of Mini vMac to install the OS because the 3DS version doesn't support swapping disks at runtime.
Yet :P

Reactions: Biovirulent

link270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome work! For everyone struggling to get this running, it's not super simple, but not too hard if you're willing to do a little research and tests.

Here is a nice site that had some really good info that helped me get it running. It's not 3ds specific, but it details everything that you'd need.

http://www.gryphel.com/c/minivmac/start.html

Edit: Totally got ninjad. haha

Last edited by link270,

Biovirulent

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"The document "OREGON.EXE" could not be opened, because the application program that created it could not be found." :blink:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: hi