Homebrew Mini vMac for 3DS

TarableCode

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi.
This is the 2nd release of my port of Paul C. Pratt's Mini vMac emulator to the Nintendo 3DS and New Nintendo 3DS.

Github page: https://github.com/TaraHoleInIt/minivmac-3ds

More information about Mini vMac in general can be found at the author's site:
http://www.gryphel.com/c/minivmac/

Notes
Disk images must be auto loaded at runtime so make sure they're named diskX.dsk where X is 1 to how many images you want to load.
Have your OS image already to go before copying your disks to your 3DS as you cannot swap disks to complete the install on the 3DS.
There is no sound, and I haven't attempted to look into it yet.
Macintosh II emulation on the o3ds is SLOW, especially in 256colors
If you're getting a black screen with the Macintosh II builds be patient, it just takes a bit to load (ESPECIALLY o3ds)

Keys:
DPAD Is mapped to arrow keys
Select switches between scale modes on the upper screen
Start toggles the Mini vMac control mode interface
L and R Shoulder buttons are the mouse button
Y Toggles the on screen keyboard
Circle pad and Circle stick move the mouse
Touchscreen moves the mouse
After shutting MacOS down properly, press L + R + Start to exit or use the control mode interface

Screenshots:
ZVf3SmO.jpg

X0FV2xN.jpg

If you are getting a flashing disk and nothing else, make sure your first disk image (disk1.dsk) is a valid bootable Mac System disk.
It's best to verify your disk images in the desktop version of Mini vMac before copying your disk images over to your 3ds.

Release page: https://github.com/TaraHoleInIt/minivmac-3ds/releases

changes said:

Added:
Support for Macintosh II @16 colours
Support for Macintosh II @256 colours
Support for circle stick on n3ds
Mouse on the touchscreen is now an absolute pointer
CPad and CStick mouse speed move in relation to how far you move the stick
Pressing X will now dismiss Mini vMac messages

Updates:
Mini vMac source base 3.5.1 beta
1BPP Framebuffer conversion should be just under 3x faster on o3ds
Updated partial framebuffer updates to accept left/right box

Fixed:
Probably a bunch of stuff.

Last edited by TarableCode,

TarableCode

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Great!

Cia version?

I was going to make one but I kept screwing up when trying to add it to the build process, then when I tried to make it manually it just showed up as a blank icon with no text.
I'll get around to figuring it out eventually, but in the meantime I'm sorry for leaving it out :(

D

Deleted User

Oh shit, I gotta find my 3DS charger so I can try this out.
Great work, by the way!

Reactions: SSQ

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im not asking where to get one, in fact i know a few places, but if i did find one, what is the rom named?

EDIT: Also, i think i found the rom. It was named mac-plus.rom so i think thats right. Anyway naming it vmac.rom and putting it in the vmac folder launches a blank screen with a floppy disk with a question mark on it in the center of the screen. What should i do?

Last edited by Giodude,
Reactions: Xiphiidae

SMVB64

Now your playing with power! Super power!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nice work! I'm going to give this a go. I loved fooling around with an DS version on my flashcard years ago

D

Deleted User

im not asking where to get one, in fact i know a few places, but if i did find one, what is the rom named?

EDIT: Also, i think i found the rom. It was named mac-plus.rom so i think thats right. Anyway naming it vmac.rom and putting it in the vmac folder launches a blank screen with a floppy disk with a question mark on it in the center of the screen. What should i do?
I get that too even though I have everything on my SD card.
roEsd6w.png

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Giodude

TarableCode

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Try them in Mini vMac for the PC, they must be bootable disk images containing a MacOS installation.
System 6.0.8 is the best version for Macintosh Plus IIRC.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

Try them in Mini vMac for the PC, they must be bootable disk images containing a MacOS installation.
System 6.0.8 is the best version for Macintosh Plus IIRC.
Same thing on Mini vMac for PC, I guess it may be because the ROM I was using was a System 7 ROM. I'll go get a System 6 one.

TarableCode

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Downloading now. This is awesome! Will it be getting more features in later releases?

A lot of the code to build the Macintosh II variant with colour display is already in the code, so that will be available in the future.
I'm going to look into sound once I've done some tests to see how fast the emulator is running.

I've found the o3ds to be mostly full speed with the exception of skipped frames and rarely the emulator core will run too slow.
Lots more work to do but if you have requests feel free to let me know.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Same thing on Mini vMac for PC, I guess it may be because the ROM I was using was a System 7 ROM. I'll go get a System 6 one.

The proper file is "vMac.ROM" and is 128KB IIRC, if you got to the flashing ? that means the ROM is good but the disk is not bootable.

Fazana

Professional Trashposter
Trophies
XP
Country
Got it up and running on 7.5.5.

Is it possible to knock the screen res down or is it stuck as is? Would prefer a lower res than to fit the current one to the screen, looks too blurry.

Nice work though, it's pretty neat.

TarableCode

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Fazana: It's possible in theory, but no Macs existed with a screen size below 512x342 so lots of things are likely to break.

great! now i can ... ... ... :blink: ?

(lol, seriously it's cool though - impressive)

There are a bunch of old games you can play, I played a quick round of Oregon Trail while cooling down after a shower.
:D

Reactions: SLiV3R and cearp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.