Homebrew Minecraft DS (in 3D !)

TheDreamLord

Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
Bmcs said:
@smealum: More stuff happening, this time i noticed that, when i was traveling in the map, i found one block corrupted, and by that i mean, i could see trough it... i reported that already.
Then (and i know this also happened with another beta tester), there was one zone in the map that only was streaming when i was in top of it....and i mean, really on top of it...same ahppened to em but havent reported it yet
Also, I've noticed that, in the item bar, some blocks are not well rendered, like the "dirt with grass" block and the 8th square is empty, and when selecting it, the block appears (in the hand) half visible.thats water lol, maybe change it to a bucket smealum?
And about that Guru Meditation error, here:

pc: 0202252C addr: 1616161A

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Not knowing that was water screwed me up pretty badly. Especially because there is no way to remove the water, and the physics aren't perfect, so it doesn't drain right. Also, you can literally climb up through pillars of water and waterfalls you create. I made a pillar of water (the cursor seems to get stuck a little more often now), then I just went inside of it and held the up button and made it up to the top. Though, that may be right. I'm not sure what your goals with the water are.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:
Not knowing that was water screwed me up pretty badly. Especially because there is no way to remove the water, and the physics aren't perfect, so it doesn't drain right. Also, you can literally climb up through pillars of water and waterfalls you create. I made a pillar of water (the cursor seems to get stuck a little more often now), then I just went inside of it and held the up button and made it up to the top. Though, that may be right. I'm not sure what your goals with the water are.
Minecraft water can be climbed as well.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Sora de Eclaune said:
Nathan Drake said:

Can it? I was never able to go straight up it from what I can remember.

Sir_Voe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hope Smealum is enjoying his vacation. In the meantime here's another creation I made while testing:

SCR_00001.jpg

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Almost 800 posts -- for a homebrew game. For a 7 year old system. Truly amazing! And that's after many people have pronounced the scene dead.

Hopefully the 2012 Homebrew Bounty will start before smealum is done with this.

Long live the homebrew scene!

TheDreamLord

Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
THank you so much smealum for this gem that i sbeing added to our homebrew collecction on ds's
biggrin.gif

Second: Enjoy ur vacation! stop working and enjoy it XD

Nathan Drake said:
Sora de Eclaune said:
Nathan Drake said:

Can it? I was never able to go straight up it from what I can remember.
Yeah it can
tongue.gif
i was playin it earlier (comparing lol)

Shiro09

AAI2 Localisation Team
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Snailface said:
Almost 800 posts -- for a homebrew game. For a 7 year old system. Truly amazing! And that's after many people have pronounced the scene dead.

Hopefully the 2012 Homebrew Bounty will start before smealum is done with this.

Long live the homebrew scene!
Yes, smealum must get something from a project so amazing

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
homunkulus said:
QUOTE said:
QUOTE said:
QUOTE(homunkulus @ Aug 12 2011, 04:14 PM) *
Great job smealum! These Pictures of dscraft are great. bow.gif I think it would be amazing, when you add local multiplayer support to dscraft without Wifi. So, we could play multiplayer without internet connection like in Mario Kart or something like that.
I searched for homebrew with this option, but i haven't senn many of them. But in Laser Hockey DS and walkietalkie 0v3 you can transfer data between two ds.
Maybe you could make it like they did in these homebrews. That would be pretty cool. smile.gif

one problem. not many people will have this piece of homebrew. Wi-Fi would be better tongue.gif
homunkulus Posted Today, 05:14 PM

I think you get me wrong. I just wanted to say that local multiplayer support in dscraft would be cool. These homebrews above are just an example that it would be possible. You wouldn't need them to play dscraft in local multiplayer mode
wink.gif
It would be cool but it is unworkable unless both DSes have a copy of the exact same map. SD card transfer rates coupled with the DS's WiFi would make it nigh on impossible to stream a map into RAM all the time. As well as this the DS is being stretched to its limit doing the creative single-player that Smealum is creating right now. With 2 players antics it means double the load on the DS to be able to figure everything out and update it on the other person's screen.

QUOTE(dicamarques @ Aug 12 2011, 06:55 PM)
maybe using a computer as a server and then the others will connect to it, of corse this for the wifi version but thats too much i think.
This is a much more workable solution but still difficult. The Server is taking the load of figuring out what's going on in the world and the DSes are just rendering and sending position and block updates to the server for processing. Don't get me wrong it'd still be bloody hard to make work and would require a lot of Server-side coding as well as (probably) a dedicated WiFi version of DScraft.

Basically: DSCraft will probably always be a single player game.

Sir_Voe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TheDreamLord said:
Here. Replace the black screen with water XD then it'd look REALLY epic. Im makin a red ds lite in dscraft
tongue.gif

Edit: water was watter XD

I thought about doing something cool with the screens, but copped out in the end and left them black. As they are, they're not wide enough so it looks a little silly, but that's probably for the better: leaving the great DS statues for after the official release when everyone can take a crack at it. The main cool feature on mine is that you can enter the cartridge slot, and explore the inside. Oh, and there's a torch at where the battery light would be.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
dicamarques said:
who knows in the future the ds wifi for homebrew will get updated and this might happen.
Its actually a limitation of the hardware more than anything. Most multiplayer on the DS works because the DS is just sending position data and animation commands to the other DSes. All the required files etc. are on the DS cart in the other machines to be loaded and used, mostly already in the RAM by that point. Map files aren't being editted, large chunks don't have to be loaded into RAM via WiFi etc. Minecraft requires a decent speed of connection to work.

As for download play (before you mention it) all the aforementioned files are loaded into the RAM in the initial download which takes a long time. Imagine that being done every second while trying to run an engine as well. Yeah its not gonna happen.

Dann Woolf

Deadpan Snarker
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm just wondering, and feel free to insult me if this has already been asked, but I'd like to know if there any plans to include any features from the PC version, like monsters, and, you know, crafting (since it's called DScraft.)

Smealum, I understand that you probably want to get the basic features working properly first, don't want to put too much on your plate at once, but once that's all going right, will you be adding more stuff from Minecraft?

dicamarques

Definitely not Bruce Wayne.
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
Jamstruth said:
dicamarques said:
who knows in the future the ds wifi for homebrew will get updated and this might happen.
Its actually a limitation of the hardware more than anything. Most multiplayer on the DS works because the DS is just sending position data and animation commands to the other DSes. All the required files etc. are on the DS cart in the other machines to be loaded and used, mostly already in the RAM by that point. Map files aren't being editted, large chunks don't have to be loaded into RAM via WiFi etc. Minecraft requires a decent speed of connection to work.

As for download play (before you mention it) all the aforementioned files are loaded into the RAM in the initial download which takes a long time. Imagine that being done every second while trying to run an engine as well. Yeah its not gonna happen.
lol im not that noob XD
So as this game is a homebrew it will have to be run in flashcart, so if the pc/ds would have only to send the all map, and then keep it in a temporary folder.Then the guests ds just need to send their positions what they changed (where and block id).
So seeing this i think it might be possible. This for wifi.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The map files are very big, between 32 and 512MB, you think it will take how many time to broadcast it?
I'm on 1024k connection, I send around 20KB/s (I always have other programs running on my computer, or my sister using her computer). Even the 32MB map would take few minutes.

512*512= 32MB
1024*1024 = 128MB
2048*2048 = 512MB

Though once compressed it shrinks to 1MB, so the DS could send compressed map
tongue.gif

Smealum said about Wifi:
QUOTE said:
Maybe. Handling multiplayer on classic mode and on small maps (meaning 128*128, the size of the latest demo's map) would be very easy. Bigger maps I don't think I could do though.

So, first receiving the full map file, synch with the other DS (or a server, but I think DS to DS over wifi would be easier, and could use the same game protocol than local wifi), load maps and send each other positions/changes every specific time ?
It doesn't have to be every second, as long as the players are not playing/modifying the same area. It could be updated when they are near only (near enough to show the new modified blocks on screen).
Has the rendered area been modified since the last time I visited ? yes > ask an updated map chunks> write the log file > compress it > send to players (Well, I don't know how it works internally to render map, maybe you can send only the visible over wifi, maybe all the log
tongue.gif
).
It could even display "Updating Map's data, please wait..." for few seconds.

If the Map compress very well, I suppose changed log is too. sending compressed change log/position could be enough, and save changes immediately to the player's map on SD card, and start a new log file.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    hunter x hunter
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    he has not allowed anyone to continue it for him for example
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, theres a dragon ball af mod for budokai 3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might download rayman revolution for my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right ram
    for it tho. Edit- no it uses floppy Ram, just like @AncientBoi
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aeiou
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And sometimes Z
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
    NinStar @ NinStar: people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious