IDaNL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@Sir_Voe MINING
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Sir_Voe why did you replace your post with the word "delete"?

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
BreafingBread said:
And Smealum at the first post you posted that it has no saving capabilities, but then on what you have done so far you say that has saving, i see a contraction right there.
Heh, my bad, fixed. Thanks.
smile.gif

lucasade said:
Would the best way to test the game on multiple cards not be to have a release with 'Please report bugs on this forum topic:' followed by the link to here, on the bottom of the top screen? And put the same in the download description.

My point along with most people biting our nails off waiting for a release is that we dont mind if it is glitchy or slow, we (me at least
tongue.gif
) really just want to play the game!
smile.gif

And so i BEG you...please give us an update version. It will be like Aperture Labretories, testing made fun
smile.gif
So dont do a Glados and do release it! Please.
No, it's not that easy, it's just not how it works. I need some very specific data, and the builds I need tested are potentially unstable/dangerous for the filesystem (hopefully not, but you never know). I can't just release something like that in the wild and hope for the best; no matter how many warnings I put, most people won't read them. Same goes for that data I need, you can bet almost none of the people who try it will actually report back, and of those who do only a few will give enough detail for it to be useful.
So no, there won't be any public releases until everything's been tested and fixed, and begging's not going to change that, sorry.

lucasade said:
On a different note: the water spreading system. Is it possible to check for bricks on each face of a water block. If water is detected, it can stop bothering to check that face ever again, but if something else is detected, it will scan it.
However, if no brick is detected, the game will create a water block on the corresponding face.
As for when it should scan for changes, i think a good idea is check if player is in proximity/close enough to actually modify a brick that would affect the water. That should reduce lag surely.
Thanks for trying to help me, but it's not that easy.
tongue.gif
I can't go scanning all blocks every frame for something like that. Do you have any idea how slow that would be ?
The most viable option would be scanning the blocks when I stream them in, then make list them and then process them individually on a frame by frame basis. Unfortunately, this would end up requiring loads of memory and at least *some* processing power to get working. (basically what I'd be doing is a spread algorithm, so that list would by all accounts be growing exponentially)
Of course this could be solved by simply limiting how far the water can spread. But that brings another problem, how do I store such data ? I can't make the map files any bigger (well, I can't make each individual block cluster column any bigger), so I can't store any more information than I already am. An idea I had was to make different water blocks, each with a different "spreading factor" (I actually had this idea just now, as I was typing this
tongue.gif
), this way I wouldn't need to store any extra data, but I'm not sure this would reduce the memory requirements enough in extreme situations.
So in short : maybe, I'll have to run some tests.
tongue.gif

QUOTE(Sir_Voe @ Aug 4 2011, 02:01 AM)
I had second thoughts about introducing irrelevant discussion.
Don't worry, what you posted wasn't off topic, this doesn't have to be all serious.
tongue.gif
I'm not sure you realize how big 1/4th of the map is though. If you mean 1/4th of the old demo's map (which is 128*128) then sure, but 1/4th of 512*512 or 1024*1024 (I could probably allow 2048*2048, but then the map files would be enormous
tongue.gif
) is waaaaay bigger.
biggrin.gif

On another note : if you feel confident you can be a good beta tester (meaning you're not just here to try out the game before everyone else and actually are going to try to answer my questions about how well it runs on your flashcart and gather the data I need), then post your "application" in this thread. Don't forget to mention what flashcart you'll be using, maybe what firmware and size/brand of SD card (if applicable).
(better brands tend to be faster, so yeah, I do need to know
tongue.gif
)

Sir_Voe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would be happy to be a tester, and don't have much going on from day to day so I most likely would be able to respond to any questions promptly.

Flashcart: Supercard DSTwo
Firmware: v1.11
SD: 1GB SanDisk

No worries if I don't suit your criteria though
smile.gif

IDaNL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I want to help testing it:

Flashcard: DSTwo and DSTTi
Firmware: DSTwo 1.11 DSTTi 1.18
SD: 2GB Kingston, 4GB Sandisk 32GB Sandisk Class 5

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@smealum : I can test it in DSi mode on my iEvo if you wish to make an enhanced version later, just drop me a PM (i can read french too).

Also got some slot 2 expansion : ez 3in1 v1, v2 and plus. M3 gba expansion, 2in1 ttds expansion, eziv

Bmcs

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm here to help in everything, so:

Flashcard - Acekard 2i
System - Nintendo DSi
Firmware - Akaio 1.8.7
Micro SD - Kingston 8gb class 4

lucasade

m1cr0man
Trophies
XP
Country
I know my cart is already owned by Nathan Drake, and you probably think I just want to play, but I'd would like to test
smile.gif

Flascard: R4 Original
Firmware: Wood R4 v1.33
SD: Sandisk MicroSD 2GB

I still have my old flashcart that didnt support NitroFS:
Flascard: R4 III Upgrade (R4 clone)
Firmware: Official 1.13
SD: Sandisk MicroSD 2GB

Plus, for those that like DS games but only have emulators, you may want to test it on iDeaS and DeSmumE.

EDIT:
TheDreamLord said:
I can test:
Flashcard - R4 - TTDS - TTDSi - Cyclods
System - Nintendo DS Lite
Firmware - R4 Wood 1.30 - YSMeunu 6.53 - 1.18 - B8
Micro SD - Kingston 2gb - Sandisk 4gb - Sandisk 2gb - Sandisk 2gb
OMG your Irish! I thought I was the only one here
tongue.gif

LDE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll be happy to give testing a go
smile.gif

Flashcard - SCDS2, EDGE
System - Nintendo DS and 3DS
Firmware - EDGE v2.3, SCDS2 v1.11
Micro SD - EDGE 4GB Kingston, SCDS2 Kingston 8GB

corenting

Trophies
Website
www.corenting.fr
XP
Country
France
Very cool project ! I can beta test it (but not, in 3 weeks, because I'm in vacation).
I have a EDGE, a Iplayer, a iEDGE, a Acekard2i, a iEvo (so I could test a DSi version in the future).
I have a DS phat, a DSi and a 3DS.
I have a sandisk 4go class 4 and a transcend 8go class 6 as microSD for them.
All my linkers are running their latest OS and the latest version of HBmenu.

I can also speak french, because i'm french
biggrin.gif
PM me if you are interrested.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
You probably won't accept me now that you've had all these other application but I would be more than happy to help test it. (I'm already beta testing a few other games atm as well, so I'm kinda in the mood for it over the next few weeks).

R4 Original (or 1:1 clone no-way of telling....)
Wood R4 v1.34 (I always have the latest)
2GB Micro SD SanDisk
2GB Micro SD Kingston
DS Lite

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Alright everyone, thanks, I think we can stop here.
smile.gif

I'll be uploading a new version in a few moments and I'll send you each a link with instructions right after that, so keep an eye out for PMs.

Mr.Guy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got a question that may already be answered. Will there be any online functionality? BTW I LOVE what you've done with this. Really above and beyond work.

lucasade

m1cr0man
Trophies
XP
Country
Mr.Guy said:
I've got a question that may already be answered. Will there be any online functionality? BTW I LOVE what you've done with this. Really above and beyond work.
It has been suggested and I think the straight forward answer was: Not yet
tongue.gif
Slightly too early in development to be starting servers and wifi and what not.

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Mr.Guy said:
Thanks.
smile.gif
Might be possible in the future, but not right now; also, if I *do* make it, it'll be a very limited version.

Anyway, PMs sent !

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol