Microsoft's rare for Nintendo's Banjo Kazooie

nintendoom

Nintendoom
OP
Trophies
XP
At first RARE is for nintendo right??
we first saw banjo at DIDDY KONG RACING with diddy which is licensed by NINTENDO
and after that banjo got a game banjo kazooie which is for the nintendo 64
and now he gets a place for xbox360??
hows that happening if rare is in nintendo before? and the banjo kazooie title is for nintendo..
and now i see this
File:GogglesMole.jpg

(just open the picture thing in a new tab if you cant see it

ShaDeFinale

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rare was sold to Microsoft, except for the IP's of Donkey Kong and 1 other series I believe (Starfox? No idea).

This happened a long time ago as well.

nintendoom

Nintendoom
OP
Trophies
XP
ShaDeFinale said:
Rare was sold to Microsoft, except for the IP's of Donkey Kong and 1 other series I believe (Starfox? No idea).

This happened a long time ago as well.
yes i know that but
why did rare took the banjo kazooie if its a part of the donkey kong??

ShaDeFinale

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know much about it, but this is my understanding of the sale to rare.

Nintendo sold their 49% steak in rare after the stamper brothers sold their 51% steak in rare.

The reason why Banjo is showing up on xbox is because the Banjo Series and it's intellectual properties was developed by Rare, and thus when they left nintendo they took banjo with them.

You say that Banjo is a part of Donkey Kong, but it's like coming up with an idea with a friend: When your friend leaves, they're free to take their ideas with them, while you're stuck with whatever you come up with.

nintendoom

Nintendoom
OP
Trophies
XP
ShaDeFinale said:
I don't know much about it, but this is my understanding of the sale to rare.

Nintendo sold their 49% steak in rare after the stamper brothers sold their 51% steak in rare.

The reason why Banjo is showing up on xbox is because the Banjo Series and it's intellectual properties was developed by Rare, and thus when they left nintendo they took banjo with them.

You say that Banjo is a part of Donkey Kong, but it's like coming up with an idea with a friend: When your friend leaves, they're free to take their ideas with them, while you're stuck with whatever you come up with.
uhh.. so that means rare is such a traitor..
uhmm BTW why did microsoft need to but rare...
well anyway thanks!

ShaDeFinale

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uh... No?

Rare is a corporation. The games it develops adhere solely to what the shareholders want. If they got sold to Microsoft, it's not like the developers and others who make the games had much of a choice, it is just business that they were bought by Microsoft.

ShaDeFinale

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah yeah, rare steak. Rare's made pretty good games anyway, so you could say that they're like a rare steak. Though I really prefer medium-rare steak.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rare doesn't make very many games. No wonder Nintendo dumped them and has a different party doing Donkey Kong on Wii. And yet another different company doing Goldeneye on Wii. Too bad Nintendo has so much control over the Goldeneye IP.. it is a total shame tbh... could be a great fantastic game on xbox360.

ShaDeFinale

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm really excited actually hearing that the new Donkey Kong is being made by Retro Studios. The Prime series was a really nice way to have another look at the Metroid series in general, so hopefully the new Donkey Kong will also refresh how we've seen it in comparison to the old games.

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Easy.

Nintendo owns Donkey Kong.

Rare owns Banjo Kazooie.

Rare use to make games with Donkey Kong in them for the SNES & N64, but Rare can no longer do this.

Rare owns Bano Kazooie, so wherever Rare goes, Banjo Kazooie goes.

nintendoom

Nintendoom
OP
Trophies
XP
ohh yeeah i remember!
diddy kong racing ds is a redo of the 64 version right
and microsoft bought rare 2002 or 2001
how did nintendo managed to publish it
if it was released at 2007??
Banjo's Right there, right??

Range-TE said:
didn't some of Rare's original Staff (that did DKC and Banjo) left when Microsoft bought them?

so i doubt they're as good as they were back in the Ninty days
yeah.. they left.. maybe for some good reasons..
they want to get back to nintendo

rich333

Trophies
XP
Country
i'm pretty sure that most/some of the old rare devs that made the old DKC on SNES are in the new company thats making DKC4 (at least the music guy for sure)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Range-TE said:
didn't some of Rare's original Staff (that did DKC and Banjo) left when Microsoft bought them?

so i doubt they're as good as they were back in the Ninty days

Rare was pretty much a dead dev after Microsoft bought them. They haven't made a single game that surpasses their N64 era games and they probably never will. Most of the Rare devs did go to form Free Radical Design (now Crytek UK) which did TimeSplitters and are making Crysis 2's multiplayer. Rare's still alive and they do even make stuff for Nintendo platforms (they did Viva Pinata: Pocket Paradise), but they're a completely worthless dev outside of their name being associated with some of the best games ever made.

As for Banjo, he's still an original character. Banjo Kazooie has no association with Donkey Kong, whether it be in trademarked characters or the like.

QUOTE(rich333 @ Jun 30 2010, 08:58 AM) i'm pretty sure that most/some of the old rare devs that made the old DKC on SNES are in the new company thats making DKC4 (at least the music guy for sure)

Doubt it. I'm sure most Rare devs have retired from video games as a whole. They made great games in the past but in today's age, they wouldn't sell. You sent out a game like Perfect Dark to today's kids and they'll think it's shitty as hell. They want more "serious" and "realistic" crap. Retro Studios is doing the new DKC and they've never been associated with Rare.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The deal of this is quite simple. As was said Nintendo owned just 49% and Rare(Stampers)51%. The writing started going on the wall that the ship was sinking on the inside only. Nintendo having been bleeding cash for years paying them to produce NOTHING for years on end they got fed up and sold their part of it. Originally Rare earlier on the N64 and before pushed out a good quality game a year roughly, but they got sloppy, lazy, overly perfectionist whatever you want to call it. The point is suddenly games that were meant to appear say in 1997 mid ended up going out like Christmas of 1999. Stuff was showing up 1-2 years late, Conker showed up over 3 1/2 years late and got a cuteness to crude facelift. Each 6mo if you remember history there were stories of Nintendo injects cash into Rare (I think I remember like 50Mil USD sums at a time or whatever was needed, large sums though) regularly. They got fed up with the bullshit, excuses, and huge delays and when MS stupidly came along and offered them something like 400Mil USD to buy their stake Nintendo laughed their asses all the way to the bank around 2001-2 and took it. Rare at that rate finished Starfox Adventures for GC, then converted Kameo and other projects over to the xbox.

I think around that time the Stampers saw it was going bad, Nintendo bailed on them so their stream of easy sucker money was dried up, and they for whatever reasons bailed. When they went and over time all those who made the excellent stuff like the DKC titles(and 64), Jet Force Gemini, Conker, Banjo, Goldeneye/Perfect Dark, all them from the mid to high tier end jobs quit and some went to do the Timesplitters series, others formed up Zoonami, and others went random places. The Rare MS ultimately bought was all their newbies and B-team left overs and a shiny golden R emblem name for nearly a half billion dollars. Since then the games started on GC went ok, Grabbed by the Ghoulies their first total non-Nintendo starter product tanked and sucked hard. From there they did a few decent and some lame DS and GBA games, and of course you have the downgrade(gfx/audio aside) port of Conker to the 360, and the mediocre PD Zero. Rare sucks, rare died years ago, and MS bought a hollowed out husk of former talent.

Rare was never a traitor, they just got bought out by some morons at MS who didn't have a clue, or figured they could pump cash enough into it to make something great which still has yet to happen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1