Microsoft Removes Mandatory Kinect Connection

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
With the Kinect you don't have to get a headset to call someone's mom something inappropriate. As the console can be used Offline, the mandatory Kinect shouldn't be (and IMO in a way, isn't) as bad as people seem to think.

Somehow I feel kinda mixed with the idea of referring Microsoft as the Devil and all his relatives as some seem to think. Just as well considering the Kinect as a gimmick and something that can't add value is just like a flashback from the Wii launch with "Motion control is a gimmick and Nintendo should feel bad for themselves". Microsoft's gaming division is almost as a hobby for the corporation, almost like AppleTV division is for Apple. Adds revenue, but may not be anywhere near profitable, possibly a zero profit. Just a nice service or something that could add value to people (and drive them to other MS services).

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Just for the record, I think Kinect being bundled with every Xbox is a good thing, despite driving up the price. It lends itself to some cool games that are (mostly) traditional in control, but still operate under the pretense that everyone has a Kinect, adding required little Kinect goodies to the experience. Not to mention this means that more AAA games will make use of the Kinect, instead of just casual party games (Kinect sports) or extra optional gimmicks (Dead Space 3).

The problem I have is simply with the required use of Kinect for the OS. It wouldn't bother me personally, but there's no reason to force it on people who don't want it when traditional input methods are just fine. Heck, even the Wii and Wii U, which are entirely built around the concept of motion and second/touch screen controls, have options for navigating the OS through traditional input (sure, some of those options require an additional purchase, but that's beside the point).

Lestworth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Somehow I feel kinda mixed with the idea of referring Microsoft as the Devil and all his relatives as some seem to think. Just as well considering the Kinect as a gimmick and something that can't add value is just like a flashback from the Wii launch with "Motion control is a gimmick and Nintendo should feel bad for themselves".

Wii's Motion Control was a gimmick ... They didn't even get it correct until the end of its lifecycle, and very little games actually had it nailed down besides First Party. Wii was able to get away with it, because they marketed it so heavy towards the casual market. Id point you towards the wii sales, but thats been abused so dam much. You can find a handfull of games that the "hardcore" market considered good. and another 1200 games that were garbage, or a cash-in.

Microsofts market is a 180 (pun intended) of that market. Their are way more hardcore gamers who support Microsoft, and when the kinetic came out as an attempt to cash in on that market Nintendo death gripped almost everyone groaned. Now we are being forced feed it. Look at the Kinetic games for the 360. As well as the games for PS3. Now remove the remakes of games that were given those functionalists (Example: Heavy rain ( &%$* YOU, SHOULD OF MADE THE 3 REMAINING DLCS!!!!!!) *cough* ) That library SUCKS! So you can understand the skepticism over it.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Upon first glance, I thought you ended that post with "If you're this paranoid about the fuckin' Kinect then put some tape over your webcam slut!"...
Hey, I've seen what you do on the weekends. Your makeup needs some serious work before I start calling you that.

Aqua1234

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wait. Why are we all mad again? The Kinect thing wasn't even that bad...

It isn't about the Kinect thing, they tried shoving it down our throats. And we reacted, they decided to ignore us then. But now, they realize their mistakes, and try fixing them up..

Aqua1234

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Which is bad..?

Eh, they knew in the first place, how the customers didn't want Kinect. Since it wasn't doing that so well during the Xbox 360 days. Yet, they ignored this and continued. It was obvious that doing this, they would get negative feedback.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh, they knew in the first place, how the customers didn't want Kinect. Since it wasn't doing that so well during the Xbox 360 days. Yet, they ignored this and continued. It was obvious that doing this, they would get negative feedback.

So... doing what people ask... is bad?

Standing behind your product is bad?

I'm legit confused.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

"Not doing so well," you say? Yeah, no. Approximately one third of all 360 owners have a Kinect.

You don't have to like the Kinect (for what it's worth, the Kinect is cool technology that's just horribly misapplied as a game peripheral) to recognize that the thing sold pretty damn well. It's easy to see why Microsoft would want to keep pushing it.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Kinect Reminds me a lot of the wii u game pad in terms of how it's poorly utilized. A lot of Devs probably just don't want to try to implement some kind of Kinect function into their games, as much as most Devs don't want to try and come up with some kind of function for the gamepad.
Nowadays, the Kinect is usually used for Voice control stuff whenever it's not being used for a fitness game, and the wii u tablet is mostly used for maps and crap instead of finding a lot of functions for it.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Kinect Reminds me a lot of the wii u game pad in terms of how it's poorly utilized. A lot of Devs probably just don't want to try to implement some kind of Kinect function into their games, as much as most Devs don't want to try and come up with some kind of function for the gamepad.
Nowadays, the Kinect is usually used for Voice control stuff whenever it's not being used for a fitness game, and the wii u tablet is mostly used for maps and crap instead of finding a lot of functions for it.

And the Kinect 2.0 will handle quite a bit for us without any effort on our part. Knowing who is holding the controller and signing them into their profile, loading specific user settings, the potential for the player's physical state (heart rate, etc) to be recognized by the game they're playing, removing the need for a headset to communicate online (though one is still packaged). The original Kinect, as Gahars said, is pretty interesting tech but not nearly accurate enough to be utilized in any meaningful way.

I bought the original Kinect once I found a refurb on sale for like $70 a while back. It was neat and all, but noisy and a little inaccurate. It also didn't help that my previous living room was fairly small so I was positioned too damn close to the thing...

Of course, it's still up to the devs to make it useful for gaming.

takieda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just read the five pages of this, and frankly, I'm kind of appalled. I've seen a lot of MS haters, and MS supporters on both sides of the fence, and the only arguments have been, "MS made a mistake, and they fixed it" with the basic, "YAY, or BOO" response.

Why was it a mistake? Why was the DRM and the "draconian" online every twenty four hours thing such a massive problem? The problem was never MS's policies, and despite popular opinion, they didn't try to FORCE any horrible thing upon us.

What noone here seems to have realized is that they were trying to get ahead of the curve and do things that noone else was doing, and not only do it first, but do it the best way that was reasonably feasible, given the current state of the market.

I think the biggest problem is that MS' marketing wasn't able to (or really wasn't given the ability to) properly explain the benefits of why they were adding these seemingly horrible policies. Believe it or not, there are a large group of people (I count myself amongst them) that have petitioned to have MS reinstate these original policies, to give us back the original features that the Xboxone originally had.

1) Once installed, no game disc ever had to be swapped out. You could simply switch to the next game you wanted to play (kind of like how XBLA already is). While still giving you the sense of owning a real product, they were giving you the ability to use it like a digital download. Face it people, digital distribution is the way of the future, and MS was spearheading this one. in 10 years time we'll all be doing this. And really, on that note, anyone here HATE apple or google for FORCING us to not have a physical copy of the apps/software we bought for their mobile products, or not forcing us to do some dirty physical work to switch between apps and games, etc.?

2) Owner of game unlimited able to play the game from anywhere, regardless of physical location of copy. You could sign onto your own account and begin to start playing the game on someone else's console without having to worry about the original disc, or bringing it anywhere for that matter.

3) Free lending of games in a virtual space. Yes, it required you be a friend to someone for at least 30 days, but it would still allow you to lend someone a game, and that person would be able to play it without you ever having to physically go to them. As simple as sending a text message, your friend could be playing your game while you're not (and there was talk of limited multiplayer capability to go along with this, which would have allowed the owner, plus the receiver of a lent game to play the same game together - think online split screen).

It's late and my brain is starting to hurt from seeing the sheer uninformed vitriol (and frankly unwarranted) cast about here. Some people are being at least honest about things, others are just being plain hipocritical, praising Sony for changing their policies and system between the problems of the PS3 and making the PS4 better, and now MS is doing it in one generation (i.e. seeing what people perceive as problems on the Xbox one and bending to their wishes to make consumers happy), and somehow MS is horrible but Sony is not?

But I will say this... Kinect. I LOVE the kinect - yes, even the first one. The problem isn't so much the device, it's the unfortunate lack of real support for it. For people saying the first one is a failure, someone else mentioned it, but I'll state it again to help to reinforce this fact - the Kinect garnered roughly 30% of the ENTIRE Xbox 360 market. That's one of the largest percentages of a non required peripheral of any console ever (may be the highest, but I'll have to check).

But I bought a Kinect day one, and I've played a few games for it, and frankly, doing some research, finding the games that actually got GOOD reviews and only getting those - I've never had a bad experience with the game, and Yoostar 2 is, perhaps, the most fun party game I've ever played - not properly doable without Kinect.

Now let's take that idea into the next generation. Any of the hardware problems with the first gen have all but been eliminated, and now we're left with a system that requires it to be bought with every system. It is now going to be in 100% of the hands of Xbox one owners. Devs will take this seriously. Devs will give us better games for it. Imagine a real time strategy game that plays like the control system in Minority Report.

Let me say that again. Command and Conquer, or Xcom, or Sid Meier's Civilization, or bloody Total War being controlled with just hand motions (and done well)... This will get me to throw my hard earned cash, en masse, in the general direction of any developer that pulls this off with even half a decent level of accuracy.

How about a boxing game like Ready 2 Rumble, or hell Punch Out, in a pseudo first person perspective? Remember playing Punch Out on NES (or Ready 2 Rumble on Dreamcast or Gamecube), and flinching to one side or the other, and, well, looking completely silly doing it (because it had no real effect). What if you could play a boxing game that is enhanced with Kinect, and you dodging to one side or the other allows a real time dodge. People's reactions can be faster in the physical world, than translating it to the button mashes that we do while playing these games. Or full bore boxing, using the Kinect 2 entirely. I know I'd play it. It just takes triple A devs to take the peripheral seriously to finally push the quality of games using it in the right direction.

And for those of you who have a Kinect and AREN'T enjoying it right now. Play Yoostar 2, Gunstringer, or Child of Eden, for pure Kinect goodness. Or just hook it up to play Skyrim and finally be able to do the real shouts without having to swap between them, etc.).

takieda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you buy an object and it has a feature and you cannot turn that feature off, then it's a feature that's always-on and forced.

Then I suppose the Playstation 1's CD drive was always on and forced. Prior to that, two other consoles had CD drives (TG-16 and Sega CD) but never gained mass market adoption. Playstation came out with it by default, and Nintendo's response was that cartridge's load faster, noone will want to wait on CD's... hence part of the reason Sony's and Nintendo's relationship floundered in the first place. Someone had to MAKE it mandatory for it to be the defacto standard that it is today.

Digital Distribution is the way it's going to be, no matter how much we may whine or cry about it, 10 years from now (maybe less, maybe a little more) there really won't be a need for discs for consoles. Look at the Ouya. As an Android platform all games for it are downloads, no discs at all. Look at the popularity of Steam - all the benefits of the system Microsoft was trying to spearhead in the Xbox One, with about the same downsides - draconian DRMs and all. It's the method ALL phones and tablets use. This is not a "feature" we can just stop. Enough people cried about it so that it's been slowed, but it will happen.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Then I suppose the Playstation 1's CD drive was always on and forced.
Correct. For official use of the PS1, you loaded games off of discs. Didn't like discs? Oh well.

Digital Distribution is the way it's going to be, no matter how much we may whine or cry about it, 10 years from now (maybe less, maybe a little more) there really won't be a need for discs for consoles.
I don't think you understand the complaints. People are not complaining about digital distribution. People were complaining about the DRM.

Look at the popularity of Steam - all the benefits of the system Microsoft was trying to spearhead in the Xbox One, with about the same downsides - draconian DRMs and all.
You might want to try using Steam before repeating the crap that other people have been telling you.

shot.png

Offline mode disconnects Steam from the network indefinitely.

Steam (and other existing methods of digital game distribution) function just fine, including features like installing the same games to multiple machines... without always-online and mandatory check-ins.

When Microsoft said it was "required", they really meant "We don't trust the user to have these features without invasive and restrictive DRM".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)