Microsoft Removes Mandatory Kinect Connection

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by IBNobody, Aug 13, 2013.

1. IBNobody
    OP

IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

Nov 16, 2006
    United States
    Texas, Hang 'Em High
    In another episode of back-peddling, Microsoft is no longer requiring the Kinect to be connected. It will still be packaged with the XBox One, but now consumers can just leave the thing in the box.
    Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/12/xbox-one-no-longer-requires-kinect-to-function

chavosaur likes this.
  2. Black-Ice

Black-Ice Founder of the Church of Renamon

Oct 31, 2011
    London
    I don't respect them, first for launching loads of crappy policies then crumbling under pressure and copping out.

3. J-Machine

J-Machine Self proclaimed Pog champion

Aug 25, 2011
    Canada
    A concrete Igloo
    That's worse then. So now we don't need the kinect but we have to pay for it regardless? so those who don't want it are getting the middle finger still but now in a more insulting way...

4. stanleyopar2000

stanleyopar2000 The Official GBATEMP Thread Killer. No Mercy.

Jun 22, 2007
    United States
    too late ;)

luigiman1928 likes this.
  5. IBNobody
    OP

Nov 16, 2006
    United States
    Texas, Hang 'Em High

They can now come out with a SKU that doesn't have the Kinect and is priced closer to the PS4. Too bad for the launch day buyers, though.

SuzieJoeBob likes this.
  6. J-Machine

Aug 25, 2011
    Canada
    A concrete Igloo
    they won't though cause ultimately they want people to use the kinect and since the install base is 100% developers will integrate features that will entice users to plugging the device in. otherwise you got an inferior ps4 with a different os

7. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Did anyone scroll down in the comments section on there? Here's what I saw: "With all this hate on X1, people supporting it at the same time, and it dominating the news... I come to one conclusion. X1 has officially became the Justin Beiber of the gaming world." This is the greatest statement to hit the news since the invention of Smucker's creamy peanut butter. :D (*Bieber* and *become* as corrected by me.)

Edit: sorry for the weird font: my reformatting attempts... failed... miserably.

SuzieJoeBob likes this.
  8. IBNobody
    OP

Nov 16, 2006
    United States
    Texas, Hang 'Em High

I don't disagree with your logic. They DO want to see a 100% install base. However, it could end up being like the X360's HDD. For the longest time, they sold the X360's without the HDD. Maybe Microsoft will back-pedal far enough to reach the point of selling a Kinectless XBox One.

9. J-Machine

Aug 25, 2011
    Canada
    A concrete Igloo
    Personally I was going to wait till a price drop but if they back peddle any more then only the exclusives will make me want it and I'll buy it used to ensure no new money comes to them as I can't stand how submissive they are to the point their console really isn't unique to the competition.

again thats my opinion but I bought the wiiu solely for the gamepad. I wanted to get the xbox1 so I could access my library of games anywhere without having to bring them with me. PS4 was for its social network and the integration of letting others play your game from another location. Oh and I guess the vita part is nice too... But ya each console next gen had it's place in a way I felt I could benifit from having them all. Now I gotta let exclusives alone dictate that which could takes years of waiting to make a sound decision.

10. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Once again, it's a feature they can easily re-add again through just an update.
    Not to mention that means I am going to be paying for a feature I won't be using.

11. Clarky

Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

Oct 4, 2007
    United States
    without the mandatory Kinect the Xbox 180 is looking better but the fact at this point you have to buy the Kinect regardless is still a pain

12. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    They won't.
    It's still weird that they are not considering a SKU without the Kinect.

SuzieJoeBob likes this.
  13. Chaossaturn

Chaossaturn ローレンス

Jan 22, 2007
    I predict, there will be a lower cost xbox one with out a Kinect... that will be 100 cheaper.

14. wrettcaughn

wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Previously on GBAtemp:
    "I hate MS new DRM!"
    "I hate daily check-ins!"
    "I hate having big brother MS's kinect always on!"
    "I hate that kinect even needs to be plugged in!"

And now:
    "I hate that MS back peddled on all of the features I hated!"

For real though, at this point it'll require a day one system update to remove the Kinect requirement. Six months down the road, no matter what they're claiming now, there will be a Kinect-less XBone sold in stores and Craigslist will be loaded with Kinect 2.0s

SuzieJoeBob likes this.
  15. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    The reason that people are upset with Microsoft changing, is that they look flaky, taking away everything people hated. And don't say that they are being a good company listening to the consumers. If they were listening to the consumers, Microsoft wouldn't have made such crappy decisions in the first place. All that Microsoft wanted to do, was to cash in on the Kinect fad while trying to be as secure and rigid as they could with their policies.

16. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

Wait, so listening to consumer feedback is "copping out" now? How is this in any way, shape, or form a bad thing? Are we really prioritizing keeping face over doing what's best for the console here?

There are really no downsides to this decision. You don't have to go about inventing your own.

17. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    I partially agree with the above. Notice that Microsoft didn't backpedal on jack shit until preorders started and it became clear that nobody actually wanted the Xbone. The obvious conclusion is that Microsoft is only listening when it's negatively-impacting their potential profit.

So it's quite obvious even to people without much experience in these matters that Microsoft doesn't care about the consumer, but profit. Not that they're alone or that it's not how most businesses run, but holy crap it was obvious this time, and that's why they're getting so much backlash over it.

... kind of like when the waitress directly asks you for a good tip (opposed to making you happy enough to give one naturally). You just want say "no, fuck you".

The Catboy likes this.
  18. andy249901

andy249901 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Hillsburrito
    If Microsoft is doing what their fans want, Plz add Wii U and PS4 compatibility.

xwatchmanx likes this.
  19. Dork

Dork Newbie

"Th-thanks guys for showing us the error of our ways."
    Everyone runs back to Microsoft. Once they have their consumers by the balls the flip the DRM right back on just like that.

20. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    [​IMG]

Now they can't watch us in our sleep. Now drop the price and I'll get one.

Satangel and tbgtbg like this.