I try to keep myself amused.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
In another episode of back-peddling, Microsoft is no longer requiring the Kinect to be connected. It will still be packaged with the XBox One, but now consumers can just leave the thing in the box.
In our latest Ask Microsoft Anything, Xbox Corporate Vice President Marc Whitten revealed that Xbox One owners will be able to use all of the console's core functions regardless of whether the new Kinect sensor is connected. Naturally, many of the tentpole features of the new Kinect, such as player identification, voice commands, etc., will be disabled as a result, but players will still be able to play games and access entertainment content.

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/12/xbox-one-no-longer-requires-kinect-to-function

Reactions: chavosaur

IBNobody

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That's worse then. So now we don't need the kinect but we have to pay for it regardless? so those who don't want it are getting the middle finger still but now in a more insulting way...

They can now come out with a SKU that doesn't have the Kinect and is priced closer to the PS4. Too bad for the launch day buyers, though.

Reactions: SuzieJoeBob

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They can now come out with a SKU that doesn't have the Kinect and is priced closer to the PS4. Too bad for the launch day buyers, though.
they won't though cause ultimately they want people to use the kinect and since the install base is 100% developers will integrate features that will entice users to plugging the device in. otherwise you got an inferior ps4 with a different os

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did anyone scroll down in the comments section on there? Here's what I saw: "With all this hate on X1, people supporting it at the same time, and it dominating the news... I come to one conclusion. X1 has officially became the Justin Beiber of the gaming world." This is the greatest statement to hit the news since the invention of Smucker's creamy peanut butter. :D (*Bieber* and *become* as corrected by me.)

Edit: sorry for the weird font: my reformatting attempts... failed... miserably.

IBNobody

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
they won't though cause ultimately they want people to use the kinect and since the install base is 100% developers will integrate features that will entice users to plugging the device in. otherwise you got an inferior ps4 with a different os

I don't disagree with your logic. They DO want to see a 100% install base. However, it could end up being like the X360's HDD. For the longest time, they sold the X360's without the HDD. Maybe Microsoft will back-pedal far enough to reach the point of selling a Kinectless XBox One.

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't disagree with your logic. They DO want to see a 100% install base. However, it could end up being like the X360's HDD. For the longest time, they sold the X360's without the HDD. Maybe Microsoft will back-pedal far enough to reach the point of selling a Kinectless XBox One.
Personally I was going to wait till a price drop but if they back peddle any more then only the exclusives will make me want it and I'll buy it used to ensure no new money comes to them as I can't stand how submissive they are to the point their console really isn't unique to the competition.

again thats my opinion but I bought the wiiu solely for the gamepad. I wanted to get the xbox1 so I could access my library of games anywhere without having to bring them with me. PS4 was for its social network and the integration of letting others play your game from another location. Oh and I guess the vita part is nice too... But ya each console next gen had it's place in a way I felt I could benifit from having them all. Now I gotta let exclusives alone dictate that which could takes years of waiting to make a sound decision.

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
without the mandatory Kinect the Xbox 180 is looking better but the fact at this point you have to buy the Kinect regardless is still a pain

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Previously on GBAtemp:
"I hate MS new DRM!"
"I hate daily check-ins!"
"I hate having big brother MS's kinect always on!"
"I hate that kinect even needs to be plugged in!"

And now:
"I hate that MS back peddled on all of the features I hated!"

For real though, at this point it'll require a day one system update to remove the Kinect requirement. Six months down the road, no matter what they're claiming now, there will be a Kinect-less XBone sold in stores and Craigslist will be loaded with Kinect 2.0s

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
The reason that people are upset with Microsoft changing, is that they look flaky, taking away everything people hated. And don't say that they are being a good company listening to the consumers. If they were listening to the consumers, Microsoft wouldn't have made such crappy decisions in the first place. All that Microsoft wanted to do, was to cash in on the Kinect fad while trying to be as secure and rigid as they could with their policies.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't respect them, first for launching loads of crappy policies then crumbling under pressure and copping out.

Wait, so listening to consumer feedback is "copping out" now? How is this in any way, shape, or form a bad thing? Are we really prioritizing keeping face over doing what's best for the console here?

There are really no downsides to this decision. You don't have to go about inventing your own.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I partially agree with the above. Notice that Microsoft didn't backpedal on jack shit until preorders started and it became clear that nobody actually wanted the Xbone. The obvious conclusion is that Microsoft is only listening when it's negatively-impacting their potential profit.

So it's quite obvious even to people without much experience in these matters that Microsoft doesn't care about the consumer, but profit. Not that they're alone or that it's not how most businesses run, but holy crap it was obvious this time, and that's why they're getting so much backlash over it.

... kind of like when the waitress directly asks you for a good tip (opposed to making you happy enough to give one naturally). You just want say "no, fuck you".

Reactions: The Catboy
D

Dork

"Th-thanks guys for showing us the error of our ways."
Everyone runs back to Microsoft. Once they have their consumers by the balls the flip the DRM right back on just like that.

loco365

Trophies
XP
Yes_gif_by_kimminjung-d4avb4j.gif

Now they can't watch us in our sleep. Now drop the price and I'll get one.

Reactions: Satangel and tbgtbg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself