Microsoft locks certain Intel processors out of updating to Windows 11

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Following yesterday's announcement, Microsoft added this to the Windows Hardware documentation.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...pported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

Isn't this literally just planned obsolescence? Most Intel processors like the i7-6700k can already run Windows 11 fine based on what people tested from the leak.
These are just the processors officially supported. You'll notice the Windows 10 (and even the Windows 8.x) lists missing notable processors that definitely work fine with the aforementioned operating systems. This list isn't anything to worry about.

The TPM 2.0 (it's probably 2.0 and not 1.2 like some are reporting) requirement is what's potentially problematic.

Last edited by Lacius,
Reactions: mewtek

mewtek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These are just the processors officially supported. You'll notice the Windows 10 (and even the Windows 8.x) lists missing notable processors that definitely work fine with the aforementioned operating systems. This list isn't anything to worry about.

The TPM 2.0 (it's probably 2.0 and not 1.2 like some are reporting) requirement is what's potentially problematic.

From experience with the leak it does run fine with 1.2, and actually installs just fine.

To be honest, the reason why I'm worried about this is because Microsoft's PC Health Checker application brings this up with my CPU
unknown.png

Even though my processor is suitable according to the system requirements

zennoux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes the i7 6700k can run Windows 11. The site you linked is the Windows Hardware Developer site designed for OEMs to reference, not for end users.

Reactions: mewtek

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From experience with the leak it does run fine with 1.2, and actually installs just fine.

To be honest, the reason why I'm worried about this is because Microsoft's PC Health Checker application brings this up with my CPU
unknown.png

Even though my processor is suitable according to the system requirements
Microsoft is updating all their system requirement pages to explicitly require TPM 2.0, erasing the TPM 1.2 "hard floor" information previously reported on.
https://www.crn.com/news/applicatio...windows-11-tpm-requirement-is-for-version-2-0
The requirement will be TPM 2.0, unless they change their minds at a later date. Whether or not this requirement will be bypassable (right now in the leaked build, it's 100% bypassable) has yet to be seen.

The PC Health Checker should only be used for entertainment purposes. It's buggy, vague, only reports one reason for incompatibility even if there are more than one, marks any CPU that can run Windows 11 as incompatible if it isn't on the aforementioned list, and seems to misreport information about your system (check which version of Windows 10 you're running using the PC Health Checker, for example. There's a good chance it's wrong).

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone made a tool called WhyNotWin11 that will tell you why the tool says it's not compatible.
Those using it should know that it still includes the outdated TPM 1.2 "hard floor" requirement that has since been revealed to not be the case. TPM 2.0 will apparently be the "hard floor" requirement.

D

Deleted User

That's a list of supported processors, even some i3's work so unless your computer is really old there shouldn't be a problem.

Windows 11 Supported Intel Processors

Last edited by ,

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sucks about tpm 2.0 (my amd laptop can run win 11 as it has tpm 2.0) however my workstation/gaming rig (an HP Z weed edition :tpi: (z420) ) has tpm 1.2 and no official tpm update was made to 2.0 and i bet W11 will have few anti bootloader/tpm bypass mesures to prevent anyone to try to bypass that requirement my processor is a Xeon E5-1620 translated to an I that would be a sandy bridge or w/e 4th gen I's were funny note I have the same processor used in most Macpro 6,1's (trashcan model)

Last edited by chrisrlink,

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sucks about tpm 2.0 (my amd laptop can run win 11 as it has tpm 2.0) however my workstation/gaming rig (an HP Z weed edition :tpi: (z420) ) has tpm 1.2 and no official tpm update was made to 2.0 and i bet W11 will have few anti bootloader/tpm bypass mesures to prevent anyone to try to bypass that requirement my processor is a Xeon E5-1620 translated to an I that would be a sandy bridge or w/e 4th gen I's were funny note I have the same processor used in most Macpro 6,1's (trashcan model)
I can see those measures being bypassed by OS modders eventually, but if this is the route MS is going i probably will just end up not using windows 11 at all.
I am running a X79 platform as my main rig also, have a overclocked Xeon 1680 v2, i can install a TPM 1.2 module to my motherboard, that said if 2.0 is now the new hard floor. think i will be getting back into Linux. my 4 year old MSI Laptop with a i7 6700HQ cpu isn't even supported. i don't se any legit reason to update especially with the cost vs performance of newer hardware, just gonna ride out the 5 years on win 10 and just use Linux again, i will probably get back into Arch.

Last edited by wolffangalchemist,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==