Windows 11 requiring TPM 2.0 is kinda rediculous.

Ryab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you didn't know Windows 11 will require TPM 2.0 in order to run. At first this didn't seem like it would be a problem until I started checking my computers. I tested 5 different computers of mine and not a single one of them support it. I find this kinda ridiculous because 2 of those PC's are from the past 2 years. So I started asking around to some friends and they are having the same problem. One friend of mine who just bought his new PC just found out that he will not be able to run Windows 11. It's obviously something kinda questionable to require when from what I can tell a lot of computers do not support. What is your opinion on this? Does your computer support TMP 2.0?

edit: ignore the typo in the title.

Last edited by Ryab,
Reactions: Magnus87 and Lacius

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
i ran the PC health check on one of my Laptops. it has TMP 2.0 but still fails the check. so i wouldn't worry too much yet.

Reactions: Y0shII

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Windows 11 doesn't require TPM 2.0, it's simply recommended. MS has already clarified that TPM 1.2 is their hard minimum, news sites just CBA to actually read documentation and correct their stories.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/windows-11/ <

Any CPU in the last decade has a software TPM version of at least 1.2, which can simply be enabled in most manufacturer's BIOS, no need for any separate module or chip required. Intel's is called Intel PTT, AMD uses fTPM.

Don't trust Window's "Compatibility checker", because just like with Windows 10 it's not actually accurate at all and should be taken with a huge grain of salt. Rest assured, if your PC was made at all in the last decade it should run just fine.

Ryab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows 11 doesn't require TPM 2.0, it's simply recommended. MS has already clarified that TPM 1.2 is their hard minimum, news sites just CBA to actually read documentation and correct their stories.

Any CPU in the last decade has a software TPM version of at least 1.2, which can simply be enabled in most manufacturer's BIOS, no need for any separate module or chip required. Intel's is called Intel PTT, AMD uses fTPM.

Don't trust Window's "Compatibility checker", because just like with Windows 10 it's not actually accurate at all and should be taken with a huge grain of salt. Rest assured, if your PC was made at all in the last decade it should run just fine.
Kinda odd that on this page they specifically state TPM 2.0 is required at the bottom.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i ran the PC health check on one of my Laptops. it has TMP 2.0 but still fails the check. so i wouldn't worry too much yet.
See even if it is all going to be fine in the end. The fact that its a BIOS setting that has to be changed will for sure complicate this update heavily. I have a feeling the end user may struggle with it.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, MS is just doing their usual shit job at providing information. They do say they will warn you not to upgrade if you're using TPM 1.2, but it's not a hard requirement that you must have 2.0 only.

Windows 11 is definitely going to flop on release because of this for sure though, especially for anyone who wants to try and upgrade themselves but isn't very computer literate. I suspect we'll be seeing a lot of "Windows 11 upgrade service!!" things from PC repair shops and such that'll charge people too much money to enable one setting and do the upgrade for them. That or people will just buy new "Windows 11 Ready!!" PCs like the Vista era :tpi:

mewtek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The requirement is kinda weird, I agree, but tbh at least it doesn't completely hard lock PCs out of using Windows 11, given the bare minimum requirement is TPM 1.2, which is pretty much on any CPU made within the last 10 - 12 years. Honestly I find it more annoying that it requires UEFI Secure Boot to be enabled for it to even install, which is an absolute pain in the ass imo.

Also, for some reason, my PC actually completely supports TPM 2.0, and I'm well within the requirements for Win11, yet for some reason, everywhere I look it says my PC isn't compatible with it?? Honestly I know its a bug but its kinda hilarious when even Microsoft's own devices like the surface don't support the new OS lmao

Regardless, I'm on the Dev Channel right now and I'm really excited for next week :3

Ryab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The requirement is kinda weird, I agree, but tbh at least it doesn't completely hard lock PCs out of using Windows 11, given the bare minimum requirement is TPM 1.2, which is pretty much on any CPU made within the last 10 - 12 years. Honestly I find it more annoying that it requires UEFI Secure Boot to be enabled for it to even install, which is an absolute pain in the ass imo.

Also, for some reason, my PC actually completely supports TPM 2.0, and I'm well within the requirements for Win11, yet for some reason, everywhere I look it says my PC isn't compatible with it?? Honestly I know its a bug but its kinda hilarious when even Microsoft's own devices like the surface don't support the new OS lmao

Regardless, I'm on the Dev Channel right now and I'm really excited for next week :3
I agree secure boot being required is kinda a bit of a fuck you to anybody who boots from USB frequently. And my main thing when it comes to TPM and this is likely your issue. You need to enable it in your BIOS settings. Generally its either under CPU Settings or Security Settings. Honestly the fact of it being disabled on a majority of processors is going to make this update very difficult for the average user.

D

Deleted User

Will there be any way to run unsigned drivers? Or will secure boot prevent that? I have a lightgun that is old but it's still good and I use it on lightgun games. Not going to be surprised if it doesn't work anymore on 11.

Ryab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will there be any way to run unsigned drivers? Or will secure boot prevent that? I have a lightgun that is old but it's still good and I use it on lightgun games. Not going to be surprised if it doesn't work anymore on 11.
Secure Boot only affects boot devices. Meaning if anything will be blocked by it, it will be on PC startup

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
You can bypass the tpm issue by using virtualization

Screenshot_20210703-114220.png
Screenshot_20210703-114230.png

Last edited by Deleted member 668561,

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

MS has since updated the link to clarify that TPM 2.0 will be required. However, it will most likely still be able to be bypassed in the public release.

This is why it’s a “free update,” because ya gonna need a new PC :tpi:

Might have been funny if it were accurate.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay