Microsoft Buys Nokia Mobile Business for $7.2 Billion

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might remember Nokia for producing some of the most popular (and durable) cell phones of the early 2000s. You should also remember Microsoft, because they're Microsoft, and if you've somehow forgotten about them I'd be very worried about the state of your memory.

Anyway...

According to Nokia, Microsoft willpurchase "substantially" all of Nokia's device and service arms as well as licensing the phone maker's patents and mapping know-how. The Redmond company will pay Nokia a cool 3.79 billion euros ($4.99 billion) for the business, and 1.65 billion euros ($2.18 billion) for its patent armory.

Microsoft hopes that allying with its biggest Windows Phone manufacturer will speed up growth (and improve its smartphone market share) -- the company is already promising "increased synergies." CEO Steve Ballmer added: "It's a bold step into the future - a win-win for employees, shareholders and consumers of both companies. Bringing these great teams together will accelerate Microsoft's share and profits in phones, and strengthen the overall opportunities for both Microsoft and our partners across our entire family of devices and services."
:arrow:Engadget

Note: Now, it seems that there will be a tiny wait for approval. It'll take until early 2014 before Microsoft gets the all clear... or rather, okay-dokey... or rather, the okia-dokia.

So yeah, this is a pretty huge deal. Microsoft has been having a good amount of trouble getting its foot in the door of the smartphone business. A $7.2 billion dollar purchase like this is pretty clear proof that they're absolutely dead set on this market. Will it be enough to dethrone iOS and Android? Ha ha, no, you kidding me? Only time will tell.

In the words of Steve Ballin'-mer, "Nokia, no problems."

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
That's one huge-ass deal. But I still have my doubts on the impact. Nokia didn't exactly built the best smartphones*, and microsoft isn't known for stability products either (though that's certainly improved since before). :unsure:
And more importantly: iOS and android aren't going to make it easy on them.

*we have/had them at our office...user's who used it to check for e-mails pretty much always end up with a locked account after they changed their windows password.

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It was a obvious move, expected since the partnership started .. ..don't know how good for Nokia this whole story is being though ..Hope it gets better, since I still like those durable devices..

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just send nokia to to the grave with whatever dignity they had left
I dont think they need more failing windows 8 phones

but I will always remember them for what they were
The-Nokia-3310-is-in-some-ways-better-than-the-Samsung-Galaxy-S4-heres-why.jpg

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This deal is pretty much a formality at this point. Previous Microsoft employees have been running the ship at Nokia for some time now.

Nokia has been making fantastic Windows phones for a while, and I'm sure they will continue to do so.

Windows Phone is finally starting to get some traction in the market, and will only continue to improve. A number of my friends have jumped the Android ship and switched to Windows phones with their latest renewal because they were tired of the issues that seem to continually crop up with Android devices.

Here's to competition!

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The problem with Windows Phone 8 is what it claims to be one of their strengths. Their different, in a world where the home screen is ever present Microsoft done something stupid and reinvented it, ok so sometimes this works but in this instance people are just so comfortable with what they've known for at least the last 4-5 years, Microsoft spiced that up to much and it obviously wasnt what the majority wanted

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't really pay attention to their partnership, but now I see why we haven't had any android phones from them.

I think the Nokia Lumia 1020 is a good phone, especially if it had android on it.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
How is Windows Phone doing compared to Android/iOS? Okay or just bad and waiting to completely get shut down?
I'll always remember Nokia for their absolute classic phones, it's a shame they are gone now but it's just another sign that no company can live forever....

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How is Windows Phone doing compared to Android/iOS?

Though I take a "meh" or "get that locked down nonsense out of my face" approach to mobile phones and related devices I do have to note it was not so long ago that Android was the weaker also ran compared to IOS if comments sections of various places are to be believed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E