Hacking Micro SD cards?

Leein

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I've gather a good opinion on what flashcard I want, now I'm searching for an SD card. On DX, I can only find a Kingston JP 2GB for $7, but I would kind of like something bigger. On meritline.com, found me a PQI Micro SDHC 4GB Class 6 for $16. Anyone know if PQI cards have any problems, or am I good to go?

Thanks for the help.

-Leein

jabjab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
looks like its 12.49 to me and adata is 15.49
for 3 dollars id go for the known (and great) brand if you dont get any reassurances about pqi (never heard of em)

have you looked on newegg? the adata is 10.99 there (pqi is 14.35 so other way round in prices)
seems to be 6.99 shipping but not sure how delivery works eg if there are cheaper options etc (i think egg saver may depend on area but random florida zip i tried gave 3.99 shipping)

Bootsum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You would want to get MicroSDHC (not MicroSD) because MicroSDHC is a new technology and is better in terms of speed and capacity.

Speed Guide:
Class 2 < Class 4 < Class 6

About brand, I don't know much to objectively judge the quality of memory card.
As long as they work everything else may be impression or psychology only.
Here is just my subjective comments.
It appears memory card from Japan is of better quality. People seem like to get them more.
Toshiba and Kingston is great.
Sandisk isn't good overall. Some are but some not.
A-data produces good and cheap computing RAM. I hope the same applies to memory card too.

Note: When a memory card says it is 4GB, it doesn't express in binary data size that the computer uses. The actual (binary) size is smaller. What a shameless marketing gimmick

dan92

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
never heard of pqi so i cant tell you if it works fine or not but i had a 2gb pny micro sd and stopped working, so i bought a sandisc and never gives me problem and works fast, i have a 2gb kingston for music and it works very good too

jabjab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bootsum said:
You would want to get MicroSDHC (not MicroSD) because MicroSDHC is a new technology and is better in terms of speed and capacity.

Speed Guide:
Class 2 < Class 4 < Class 6

About brand, I don't know much to objectively judge the quality of memory card.
As long as they work everything else may be impression or psychology only.
Here is just my subjective comments.
It appears memory card from Japan is of better quality. People seem like to get them more.
Toshiba and Kingston is great.
Sandisk isn't good overall. Some are but some not.
A-data produces good and cheap computing RAM. I hope the same applies to memory card too.

Note: When a memory card says it is 4GB, it doesn't express in binary data size that the computer uses. The actual (binary) size is smaller. What a shameless marketing gimmick
1gb jap kingston is a faster card than most sdhc cards iirc - sdhc only really (reliably) means its got a higher capacity amd that it wont work on old flashcarts.
When a memory card says ANY capacity its not quite the same as displayed on your computer - basically the same for all cards so irrelevant.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yea is pretty good