Mico SD card size

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by klein, Aug 21, 2008.

Aug 21, 2008

Mico SD card size by klein at 6:28 PM (1,800 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. klein
    OP

Member klein GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hello everyone, I am new here and I just ordered a DSTT. It will be arriving in a few days and I am wondering what size my Micro SD card should be. Someone on another forum suggested I should just get a 2gig and I should have enough room for games and emulators and the such, but my computer doesn't have very much memory left so I don't want to keep a lot of games on there.

So, what would you suggest I get in terms of Micro SD card size? I am leaning towards a 4gig card but I just don't want to put junk on there to fill it up. Do emulators take up a lot of space or would I not have to worry about them?

2. IOwnAndPwnU

Member IOwnAndPwnU GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    From playing GB/GBC games, they require minimum memory. Its Nintendo DS games which require the most memory. If you don't want to backup stuff on your computer, think about a 8GB, or atleast 4GB. Sandisk should do fine for both of these but for 1GB or 2GB, get Kingston (Japan).

3. klein
    OP

United States
    Alright, well I decided to go with the 4gig just to be safe and so I don't have to worry about games. Thanks for the help.

4. IOwnAndPwnU

Canada
    No problem. [​IMG]

5. ciper

Member ciper GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Consider buying a better card reader. The reader that came with my DSTT corrupted two SDHC cards. Its strange because the standard SD (non hc) worked fine. Luckily I was able to exchange the damaged cards and buy an SDHC reader for 6$

6. IOwnAndPwnU

Canada
    I didn't even try the reader that came with the DSTT. It was so "bad". I resorted to my SanDisk reader.

7. klein
    OP

United States
    Well with the card I have I can put it into a SD card and then put it in my computer. If my card does somehow get corrupted is there any way to just erase everything on there so I can still use it?

8. IOwnAndPwnU

Canada
    You could try formatting it or the Panasonic formatter.

9. Searinox

Member Searinox Just a taste~ ;3

Romania
    Here's a personal experience. I have 30 of trimmed ROMs and they take up 1.50GB with savegames and all. Through a simple operation this means an average of 50MB per ROM. How many games do you want to have on your memory? From that figure out your requirements. I'd say 4GB will get you some 70 ROMs on there. And yes do remember to trim them, it saves up some 30% space. Take note that memory sizes aren't EXACT, just like harddrives - a 4GB memory will actually be 3.8 real GB, an 8GB will be 7.6 real GB etc.

1GB - 18 ROMs
    2GB - 37 ROMs
    4GB - 75 ROMs
    8GB - 150 ROMs

Emulators will take as much space as the ROMs. The programs themselves take up an average of 300KB and 40 Gameboy ROMs will take up as little as 18MB. What do you want to emulate? Emulators for SNES, NES, and Gameboy take up less than 1MB together.

10. klein
    OP

United States
    I plan on Emulating a lot of Nes and GBC games, with just a a few Genisis and Snes games. Can you explain how to trim down these roms, I have never heard of that term before. I know a fair bit of knowledge about ROMS and emulators, but I haven't really kept up these last few years.

11. ENDscape

Member ENDscape REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!

Philippines
    Rom trimming is actually saving space in your microsd. It takes out unneccesary files from a rom and turn it into a dummy 0kb file.

12. klein
    OP

United States
    Ah ok. I just looked and I found a rom trimmer off this site. Thanks a lot, now I should be able to play more games.

13. miketh2005

Member miketh2005 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    klein, most ppl here haven't given you the info neccesary. First I have no idea what kinda games Searinox has on his card but my 4GB card ran out at 50 roms which wasn't enough for me! If you like homerew which is awesome you'll want tome homebrew too and music. Also if your going on a trip you'll want to add a movie or 2 so I had to order andother 4GB worth! So think about that, your getting the games for FREE! You'd want all the games you can get! So you can get 4GBs for 14$ on newegg.com 2X 2GBs Kingston Twin pack. Or you can get a 4GB A-Data (despite the claims that A-Datas aren't good, I haven't experienced any trouble) for 16$... Also the best rom trimmer is "Rominator" that is what you should get. But some sites trim the roms before you get them, so that you don't need to. So I got my trimmer for nothing... But the best is to get 2 4GB, 4 2GB, or an 8GB card...Also the SD card adapters ARE NOT readers / writers, I thought the same thing when I got it, but with the Adapters that come with the card can only READ the content and put it on your computer or device, but you can't put stuff on the card with it...Also sorry to burst your bubble but DSTT sucks, you should have looked around on here to see which is the best flashcard, if you can send it back, do that, and get a CycloDS, its the best and you won't regret buying it. If you ABSOLETLEY CANNOT buy a CycloDS get the Acekard 2 or Supercard, they are the best. Pick the one that fits your needs. Look at the cards side by side and compare them with my chart found here. Click here.

- Mike

14. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    Your Micro SD card should be iiiiiiiiiitttyy bitty teeny tiny.
    Otherwise it's just not gonna fit....

15. klein
    OP

United States
    Well, I hardly ever play a game after I beat it, so even 50 games won't even be necassary. Also, I did peak a gander at that list but I decided to go with the along with a friends recommendation. GUI isn't really a problem for me at all, and I do plan on getting Ysmenu to at least have it looking better. Anyway, thanks again everyone for all your help. Now hopefully my stuff doesn't end up lost/turns out to be fake.

16. Searinox

Member Searinox Just a taste~ ;3

Romania
    Even if you've decided on what memory you're gonna use, you would still need a trimmer. For trimming, use a program like EZtrim, it can allow you to select all the ROMs in a folder even while they're still archived and trim them(be sure to check the permanent trim option) with as little hassle as possible.

I can't find EZtrim anywhere on GBAtemp, has it not been uploaded? Such a shame for the excellent program that it is... I have uploaded it for you here. http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=3168 I have named the author to '???' if anyone here knows who made this program do tell me.

Trimming is a process that makes a ROM smaller, imagine if books had fixed sizes like 100 pages, 300 pages, 500 pages, no matter how many pages long the text actually is, they would have a lot of blank pages at the end(300 pages written, 200 empty pages) in the same way ROMs are fixed with sizes of 32MB 64MB 128MB and trimmers "cut out" this unnecessary empty space. They are very good space savers. The problem is that some trimmers "cut" too much data out of the ROM and break Wifi compatibility, EZtrim doesn't do that.

17. klein
    OP

United States
    I think I may have found a site htat has them trimmed, since all the game sizes are different. It is *this link was removed by user since he can't give out link*. Hopefully my DSTT doesn't turn out to be fake like other people's.

18. miketh2005

Member miketh2005 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    still, why would you get a DSTT when you can get a WAAY better Acekard 2 for 4 more bucks??? It just doesn't make sense. BTW Tell your friend to stop giving wrong reccomendations when you don't know WTF your taling about, thanks. Have fun with your crappy DSTT... [​IMG]