Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Rayder said:
Why they haven't done a 2D Metroid on the DS is beyond me. The game would be an instant hit. Nintendo can be quite retarded sometimes.

My guesses as to why they haven't made one are:

There has been a contagious strain of down syndrome at Nintendo.
Casual (noob) games are MUCH easier to make. No effort really required.
Whaaa! Whaaa! All the peeps who would like it would just pirate it instead of buying it since they're not idiot noob casual game lovers that are ignorant of flashcarts. (most likely true)
They're waiting to release it on their next handheld before pirating gets out of control on it and they actually might make money on the game.
They think no one would want a 2D Metroid. (yeah, right)
Ninty has decided to screw their loyal fans by NOT giving them games they KNOW we want (2D Metroid, F-Zero, Punch-Out, etc.)
They're still trying to dig theirselves out of their pile of cash and don't want to add to the pile.
They can't figure out how to screw it up properly with stupid touchscreen controls.
They got pissed when many people complained that MPH wasn't a 2D game or that it sucked in comparison to any 2D Metroid and said, "No more Metroid for you then!"
They hate us.
They've had one ready to go for ages, but are being dicks about it.
They're afraid that the casual noob gamers will wise up and stop buying lame casual crap games once they get a gander at a game that is actually good.

Yeah, I'll bet at least one of those is why we don't have a 2D Metroid on DS.

Tapping to do everything. Tapping to move, tapping to switch weapons, tapping to shoot. Double tapping Samus to turn into a ball.

Buttons are not an option.

ShiningSaber

Tiger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A sequel to fusion would be nice.
QUOTE said:
I think 2D Metroids would be muuuuch better then that prime hunters crap :/
Na. Many people like the MP series. I'd like to see another one on a DS soon, but I'd like to see a new DS with some better hardware before they made it. (seriously, imagine a DS with a little bit better than the rendering power of the PSP! Nintendo could do it, and still keep it small)
QUOTE said:
They can't figure out how to screw it up properly with stupid touchscreen controls.
Most of the games from Nintendo that used the touch screen controls did it right.... its just everybody else
tongue.gif

Ninty has decided to screw their loyal fans by NOT giving them games they KNOW we want (2D Metroid, F-Zero, Punch-Out, etc.)
Most likely, as we haven't seen an F-zero game on the horizon for some time, as well.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thoughts without transitional materials:

I am rather amazed as well that there has been no new Metroid 2D game. While the GBA ones were easy as all hell, they were still good at least.

The SR388 game. I like the idea behind that, remake the game and use super metroid sprites but use visual effects instead. Creates a very interesting look I think.

Hunters can burn in hell (let's make a metroid prime game without metroid prime or even metroids!) as a metroid game but was at least a bearable DS FPS. I think the worst part was the bosses. Because we like fighting the same two bosses 4 times each!

Another 3D metroid game is welcomed, but I'll take a 2D if it's an option!

Do. Not. Touch. Super. Metroid. Leave it the hell alone. You nailed it. You fucking nailed it dead on. Do not mess with it.

imz

GBAtemp's vigilante
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I would also like to see a 2D metroid, but before that I would like to see another 3D metroid prime FPS, I thoroughly enjoyed MP:hunters and think that they could use the same control scheme/graphics in a brand new adventure!

roguetrip

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
farfet said:
The GBA saw two Metroid games: Zero Mission (Metroid 1) and Metroid Fusion (Metroid 4)
gbasp.gif
. The NDS has only seen Metroid Prime Hunters, but no 2D Metroid game whatsoever.

Could it be possible, among so many remakes being released and announced, that nintendo could be working on remakes for Metroid: Return of samus (Metroid 2) and Super Metroid (Metroid 3)?

And who do I have to talk to if I want this to happen?
tongue.gif

There was a 2D Metroid for the DS!!! Metroid Pinball, sure it didn't have any real tie in with the series but it was still the 2nd Metroid game on the DS.

I've love to see more 2D metroids!! I have only had the chance to beat Fusion/Zero Mission since buying my DS about a year ago and getting into some Nintendo franchise games which I never played before (until the DS I never played Metroid/Zelda/Kirby series which ROCK). I even bought a Gamecube a few months back just for my Metroid fever, unfortunately the FPS type games should be left to the PC and haven't been able to get into it along with MPH
frown.gif

Some other Nintendo franchises which need to breath in the DS:
F-Zero
Extreme-G
Waverace
Zelda
Killer Instinct

As for the Metroid timeline though, there has been some long ass waiting for a new release, there never was a Metroid on the N64!! So that was like a 5+ year wait? Thats scary!

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
roguetrip said:
I even bought a Gamecube a few months back just for my Metroid fever, unfortunately the FPS type games should be left to the PC and haven't been able to get into it along with MPH
frown.gif
You should really (REALLY) give metroid prime (1) another chance, it's one of the few 3D games I consider a true classic.
And if it helps, don't think of it as an fps (because it isn't), you don't need to strafe around every corner, and the lock on system takes away any emphasis on aiming

I want nintendo to port prime 1 and 2 to wii (together plz) with prime 3's controls, mainly because it is a bit hard to go back, plus plugging in a gcn controller/memory card is a pain in the ass

imz

GBAtemp's vigilante
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey guys, if you really want a 2D metroid game similar to super metroid on the DS then I recommend Megaman ZX and megaman ZX advent, they're quite similar to the metroid games and really fun 2D sidescrollers, and the boss battles are awesome! I've only played through the beginnings of each game but am highly impressed by what I've seen so far and wonder why I'd never heard much about them before

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
imz said:
Hey guys, if you really want a 2D metroid game similar to super metroid on the DS then I recommend Megaman ZX and megaman ZX advent, they're quite similar to the metroid games and really fun 2D sidescrollers, and the boss battles are awesome! I've only played through the beginnings of each game but am highly impressed by what I've seen so far and wonder why I'd never heard much about them before

Because they suck compared to the Megaman Zero games on the GBA.

I'm still crying at the ending. Will Zero ever return?

;_;

dogman

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
hrm, maybe a super metroid port would be overkill... But I think everyone here agrees that metroid 2 needs a remake. I just tried to play it on lameboy and, well, I kept thinking "a remake of this game, like metroid zero mission, would be great".

I'm glad to see people still care for 2D metroid
biggrin.gif

MoonCat5

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I can't wait for SR388. It looks fantastic! And I've been saying this for a looooong time now, the 2d metroids are better than the 3d ones!!!!!!!! Zero Mission was fantastic!!!! The DS really needs a 2d metroid game! Subscreen operations could be moved to the touchscreen or something. It's a perfect console for a perfect game series.

Mic_128

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.smashboards.com
XP
Country
roguetrip said:
Some other Nintendo franchises which need to breath in the DS:
F-Zero
Extreme-G
Waverace
Zelda
Killer Instinct

Phantom hourglass hasn't been out for a Year yet, and you know Zelda games are never rushed.

Killer Instinct is owned by Rare, not Ninty.

A new Metroid with MP3's controls but MP1 in style would be great, but so would a 2D metroid for DS
yaynds.gif

vinikun

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if this has any connection or not...

Gunpei Yokoi, creator of the gameboy, virtual boy, but most importantly, Metroid, died back in 1997 due to an unfortunate accident soon after the release of Super Metroid. Since then I think there's been less of an interest in developing 2D metroids, since the true spirit behind it has long been gone.

Let's admit it. While Metroid Fusion was great, it certainly didn't have the atmospheric feel of the older Metroid games. Also, Metroid Zero Mission was great, but it also had a guide: the original Metroid. Let's not even begin on how wildly different the Prime games feel compared to the originals. They really just don't feel like the same franchise to me, other than the obvious commonalities character wise (Samus, etc).

vinikun

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
On a similar note, did anyone else feel Metroid Fusion was a genuinely scary game? I thought so. The story really made you feel incredibly alone on that ship. Like I feel like Super Metroid had some cheer and charm to it, oddly enough, at points. Fusion on the other hand was downright creepy. The SAX, and then Adam!? The whole time you think Adam is there for you. When you really realize what's up, jeez, I felt like I was Samus for a sec. I was totally freaked.

I liked that about Fusion. That I was actually scared to death when the SAX came. They did a great job with that.

vinikun

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
When I think about it now actually... a lot of people complained about Fusion holding the player's hand too much (I thought so too). But when you think about how that was integrated into the plot, it's really genius. Adam guides you through the game, but it's really to Adam and SAX's advantage. They're manipulating you the entire time. So in the end I actually liked the twist, and it was worth the hand holding.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4