Hacking Method to remove update nag from Emunand?

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the new update I am sure I am not the only one who screwed up and left emunand connected to the net in sleep mode.

Blowing up emunand by formatting it or restring from a backup with emunand tool will do it but will also require reinstalling all the cia files and either loosing the saves or extracting them with SDF.

Is there a better way?

thorasgar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if it works for emuNand, but you can try to boot it in recovery mode.

Just try holding the combination when booting emuNand.

http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Recovery_Mode
I tried twice but didn't work in emunand for me.

I wonder where the file actually resides. If it is in the folder structure it could be deleted but if it is in the emunand "partition" not so easy. :)

Reactions: Margen67

jaku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it should pop up every time you boot into it and even times when you open your 3DS from sleep mode. It does get a bit annoying.

jaku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That seems like quite the hassle it self. The new emuNand support should be out "SOON". So while it's a pain just be careful until then and turn off wifi when you're not using it.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't worry about it, Gateway will release an update shortly in a week or so. Just keep pressing no, just be glad this isn't sysnand.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't worry about it, Gateway will release an update shortly in a week or so. Just keep pressing no, just be glad this isn't sysnand.

This is NOT guaranteed. Nintendo changed encryption again so it re-hashes everytime the console boots. Not easily worked around since it directly affects emuNAND.

Thor, I would recommend restoring your emuNAND partition to a backup and then blocking Nity update servers in your router.

Random Joe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is NOT guaranteed. Nintendo changed encryption again so it re-hashes everytime the console boots. Not easily worked around since it directly affects emuNAND.

Thor, I would recommend restoring your emuNAND partition to a backup and then blocking Nity update servers in your router.

I thought blocking the update servers in router will still get the nag it just won't do anything if you accidentally agree to the update

thorasgar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish it was sysnand. That is easy, I formatted sysnand a dozen times from from doing this. Sysnand is blank for me so it is simply a matter of entering the setup info. I kept forgetting about the recovery mode trick.

If another solution doesn't present itself I will likely do that, need to learn SDF anyway. My 9.5 emunand backups are all from freshly formatted versions so they don't have any data. This isn't just one console it is all three of them. :hateit: I have my boys trained well as they had the sysnand nag on the o3DS for who knows how long and never messed up and the stakes are a lot lower on emunand.

From my understanding Nintendo got us good with this update although we all knew it was coming. Guessing when GW is going to fix it is a fools game but is suspect it is going to take some time and it won't be Soon™.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It can't but I heard you can still get the nag

You get 1 system notification if you've set up your blocks right. The nag consists of a full screen mesage telling you the update has been downloaded and ready to install. If someone says they blocked servers but still get the nag, then then are firewalling wrong.

Migoma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ask this yesterday and no one seems to know how to remove the update I am sure is on the sd card but maybe on the emunand partition?
can we just format emunand from the settings and it will stay on 9.5 even if we lose all the cias ?

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ask this yesterday and no one seems to know how to remove the update I am sure is on the sd card but maybe on the emunand partition?
can we just format emunand from the settings and it will stay on 9.5 even if we lose all the cias ?

I don't think a format from sys settings would work, I'd recommend just re-creating emunad from the GW menu. Or better, you could restore from an emuNAND backup and block Nintendo update servers in your firewall to stop it from happening in the future.

Random Joe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think a format from sys settings would work, I'd recommend just re-creating emunad from the GW menu. Or better, you could restore from an emuNAND backup and block Nintendo update servers in your firewall to stop it from happening in the future.

could you explain what addresses you used to properly block the updates? I have seen many different suggestions on this.

Migoma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

thanks I will try to back up and restore to see if its gone

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free