Method to remove update nag from Emunand?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by thorasgar, Mar 25, 2015.

1. thorasgar
    OP

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    With the new update I am sure I am not the only one who screwed up and left emunand connected to the net in sleep mode.

Blowing up emunand by formatting it or restring from a backup with emunand tool will do it but will also require reinstalling all the cia files and either loosing the saves or extracting them with SDF.

Is there a better way?

josamilu, Margen67 and Random Joe like this.
  2. Random Joe

Random Joe GBAtemp Fan

Dec 16, 2014
    United States
    I have been waiting for this thread.

I'd like to know this too.

3. jaku

jaku GBAtemp Regular

Mar 20, 2014
    United States
    Margen67 likes this.
  4. thorasgar
    OP

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    I tried twice but didn't work in emunand for me.

I wonder where the file actually resides. If it is in the folder structure it could be deleted but if it is in the emunand "partition" not so easy. :)

Margen67 likes this.
  5. Random Joe

Random Joe GBAtemp Fan

Dec 16, 2014
    United States
    how bad is the nag thorasgar ?

does it pop up everytime you boot into emuNAND ?

6. jaku

jaku GBAtemp Regular

Mar 20, 2014
    United States
    Yeah, it should pop up every time you boot into it and even times when you open your 3DS from sleep mode. It does get a bit annoying.

7. thorasgar
    OP

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    No. Last night and then once this morning. I suspect it lis like sysnand in that it only nags once a day. Still nagging isn't good for a relationship.

8. alin72

alin72 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 19, 2015
    United States
    I would just use SDF to transfer all the saves. I think it's worth the trouble.

Margen67 likes this.
  9. jaku

jaku GBAtemp Regular

Mar 20, 2014
    United States
    That seems like quite the hassle it self. The new emuNand support should be out "SOON". So while it's a pain just be careful until then and turn off wifi when you're not using it.

10. MattKimura

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    I wouldn't worry about it, Gateway will release an update shortly in a week or so. Just keep pressing no, just be glad this isn't sysnand.

11. Maximilious

Maximilious GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2014
    United States

This is NOT guaranteed. Nintendo changed encryption again so it re-hashes everytime the console boots. Not easily worked around since it directly affects emuNAND.

Thor, I would recommend restoring your emuNAND partition to a backup and then blocking Nity update servers in your router.

12. Random Joe

Random Joe GBAtemp Fan

Dec 16, 2014
    United States

I thought blocking the update servers in router will still get the nag it just won't do anything if you accidentally agree to the update

13. thorasgar
    OP

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    I wish it was sysnand. That is easy, I formatted sysnand a dozen times from from doing this. Sysnand is blank for me so it is simply a matter of entering the setup info. I kept forgetting about the recovery mode trick.

If another solution doesn't present itself I will likely do that, need to learn SDF anyway. My 9.5 emunand backups are all from freshly formatted versions so they don't have any data. This isn't just one console it is all three of them. :hateit: I have my boys trained well as they had the sysnand nag on the o3DS for who knows how long and never messed up and the stakes are a lot lower on emunand.

From my understanding Nintendo got us good with this update although we all knew it was coming. Guessing when GW is going to fix it is a fools game but is suspect it is going to take some time and it won't be Soon™.

14. Maximilious

Nov 21, 2014
    United States

If you block the servers the update comes from, how can your DS download the update files?

15. Random Joe

Random Joe GBAtemp Fan

Dec 16, 2014
    United States
    It can't but I heard you can still get the nag

16. Maximilious

Nov 21, 2014
    United States

You get 1 system notification if you've set up your blocks right. The nag consists of a full screen mesage telling you the update has been downloaded and ready to install. If someone says they blocked servers but still get the nag, then then are firewalling wrong.

17. Migoma

Migoma Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2015
    United States
    I ask this yesterday and no one seems to know how to remove the update I am sure is on the sd card but maybe on the emunand partition?
    can we just format emunand from the settings and it will stay on 9.5 even if we lose all the cias ?

18. Maximilious

Nov 21, 2014
    United States

I don't think a format from sys settings would work, I'd recommend just re-creating emunad from the GW menu. Or better, you could restore from an emuNAND backup and block Nintendo update servers in your firewall to stop it from happening in the future.

19. Random Joe

Random Joe GBAtemp Fan

Dec 16, 2014
    United States
    could you explain what addresses you used to properly block the updates? I have seen many different suggestions on this.

20. Migoma

Migoma Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2015
    United States
    thanks I will try to back up and restore to see if its gone