Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,

I've been dying to try MGS3 for quite a while now. I was gonna get the Subsistence version, but I found a copy of Snake Eater yesterday for $10, so I got it instead. It's my first MGS game, and I'm really enjoying it so far, but it's pretty hard to get the hang of. I haven't quite been able to make it into the first room where Sokolov is located, and was hoping perhaps to get some general advice on how to approach the game. I'm slithering, checking my camo occasionally to make sure I'm hidden as well as I can be, and just generally trying not attract attention, but it's still hard to be effective as Snake.

Thanks

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
irpacynot said:
Hey guys,

I've been dying to try MGS3 for quite a while now. I was gonna get the Subsistence version, but I found a copy of Snake Eater yesterday for $10, so I got it instead. It's my first MGS game, and I'm really enjoying it so far, but it's pretty hard to get the hang of. I haven't quite been able to make it into the first room where Sokolov is located, and was hoping perhaps to get some general advice on how to approach the game. I'm slithering, checking my camo occasionally to make sure I'm hidden as well as I can be, and just generally trying not attract attention, but it's still hard to be effective as Snake.

Thanks

Great purchase!
First of all, you want to take your time and scout each area using the first person view/bninoculars.
This game is slightly different from other MGS's since you're not in any buildings, the top-down perspective it uses is a big hindrance when playing in the jungle...
Also, go for headshots as much as you can. They're slightly harder but very effective and even puts a gaurd straight to sleep with a mk22 tranquilizer.
If you ever get ganged up on by too many soldiers then run and press X (don't hold it) to bash them out of the way and make a quick recovery.
If you can you should also exit the area if you get found since re-entering resets the alert-counter.

You really should play the original though. The best out of them all and thats not nostalkgia talking.
I recently replayed it and it was frikkin awesome.
MGS2 is great too but it shoulda had moar snake.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Sc4rFac3d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah, subsistence's free camera really made the game at least 2x better. But like said above, knowing the area beforehand is the key.

What difficulty are you playing on? Might be an option to turn it down this being your first MGS and all.

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
Sc4rFac3d said:
Yeah, subsistence's free camera really made the game at least 2x better. But like said above, knowing the area beforehand is the key.

What difficulty are you playing on? Might be an option to turn it down this being your first MGS and all.
Yes, I would serously consider getting the first one too. It was pretty straigthforwars and short, and it can give you enogh idea on what to expecto for 2, 3 ans 4.

enigmaindex

the Scarecrow
Trophies
Website
www.zomganime.com
XP
Country
I also have a question. Its quite similiar so im not going to bother to make a new thread.

With MGS4 coming out soon, will i have to have played MGS 1,2,3 to fully enjoy the new PS3 version? I remember playing MGS1, but never really the other ones. Does the story continue on? Will i fully enjoy the game if i havent played 2 or 3.

Thanks

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I'm pretty much certain MGS 4 uses characters from MGS 2 and 3.
MGS 2: Rayden, Vamp (?)
MGS 3: Big boss, Eva

there are probably others that we dont know yet.
So yeah if you have the chance, play the previous episodes.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
irpacynot said:
Hey guys,

Thanks

you should have brought the Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection, it has every game in the series for a good price too
biggrin.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Gear-Solid-Ess...n/dp/B001383L36

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
Costello said:
I'm pretty much certain MGS 4 uses characters from MGS 2 and 3.
MGS 2: Rayden, Vamp (?)
MGS 3: Big boss, Eva

there are probably others that we dont know yet.
So yeah if you have the chance, play the previous episodes.
Revolver from Metal Gear Solid 1 too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: I- AURORA BOREALIS? AT THIS TIME OF YEAR, AT THIS TIME OF DAY, IN THIS PART IF THE COUNTRY...