Hacking Merging USB partitions?

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Somebody told me that it's possible to merge the partitions of 2 separate flash drives and assign that merged partition to a single drive letter using a USB Hub, if assuming that's possible, would it be possible to make a WBFS partition with that merged partition, add the game (I need 4.08GB, I have a 4GB and a 2GB), then plug the Hub into the first USB slot on the Wii, then maybe it'll work? I don't have a Hub so that's why I'm asking, I would try myself, but I'm broke right now...
huh.gif

EDIT: Missed an error in my writing...

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I assume that person was talking about a RAID-setup. That basically treats 2 (or more) "inexpensive disks" as a single drive.

But...actually setting up and using that kind of setup depends on the operating system (and I think the file partition as well, though I'm not sure about that). So even if you could manage to combine your 2 drives into a single wbfs-partition on windows/linux/macOS/whatever...it ain't gonna work on your wii. To my knowledge, cIOS'es don't support RAID, and considering not many people are in your position, I highly doubt that's going to change soon.

Something that isn't as impossible (though still highly unlikely) is to set your both drives to FAT32 and convert whatever game it is that uses 4.08GB into .wbfs while using a split of 2GB. You can then store both parts of the game in the respective USB:\wbfs\ folder. I don't think modern USB loaders support loading a single game from different USB partitions (in fact, I'm not even sure if they support multiple drives connected to the wii in the first place), but at least it'll get you anywhere.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
USBLoaderGX r1060 supports listing games simultaneously from multiple partitions from the same HDD.
And it will soon support listing all partitions from both USB ports at the same time.

Doing "1 partition using 2 HDDs" is only possible with RAID technologies. Maybe you can find HUBs which does RAID automatically and allow the connecting USB device to see the bundle as a single "normal" drive.
RAID is controlled either hardware by the BIOS or by the operating system, so if the HUB controller has a bios it can work (though, I don't know how its BIOS could be setup)
Operating system needs special drivers to use them, but they see it as normal drives, not separated. So cIOSes would need RAID drivers too.

Your best choice is to use a compatible USBLoader using multi-USB ports (Available soon in GX) + multi-partition listing functionality.
But you won't have shared free space.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Cyan said:
Maybe you can find HUBs which does RAID automatically and allow the connecting USB device to see the bundle as a single "normal" drive.
USB Hubs are very simple devices and in no way up to a task like that. But even if such a device would exist, it would cost way more than any 6 GB USB drive so it wouldn't be a good solution.

...but the GX loader thingy seems nice.
smile.gif

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, the game I'm talking about is Black Ops, on the forum WiiHacks, a user has managed to remove campaign maps from the game and made the scrubbed size around 3GB, anybody know how to do that? I'm only interested in the multiplayer, the forum user never said how to do it, he just said that he figured it out himself and said thanks to the community there, ...wow... he could have written how he managed to do it, I ended up sending him a PM asking how he did it with a link to his thread because the thread was closed, he said he had no idea what I was talking about, so I decided to stop by and ask.
wink.gif

I only know how to delete the updater using Wii Scrubber.

WiiHacks Forum Thread

EDIT: Okay, I found a program hiding around in the forum, gotta love that search function that I should have used in the first place before I replied, it's called qtwitgui, the user in the same position as me ended up being successful so I'm definitely up for it!

EDIT2: It won't start on my computer for some reason, but it opens up on my brother's computer, we have the exact same netbooks... weird... I'm going to install the QT SDK on my PC and see if I can run it. I don't wanna take too much time ripping the ISO again, that was a nightmare...

EDIT3: Nailed it, before I went to install the SDK, I found the config file for the program, QtWitGui.ini, I deleted it then tried again while running as administrator, time to get this working!
wink.gif

EDIT4: "Error parsing with wit, cannot open game" I used a the latest version of WIT instead of r1451, which I can't find anywhere... I'll keep looking and trying different versions if I can't find r1451 anytime soon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-