Homebrew WIP melonDS for Switch

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Personally, I'd rather have the option of not requiring Android to do things, which is why melonDS has my interest.
Agree 100%
To me using other OS's in a system like the Switch is just a dumb idea.
It's easier to just get the emus and roms in the phone and that's it.

But I prefer having proper homebrew made for the console's original OS.
Not only does it give the system its iwn unique feel, but it also shows how many interesting and skilled people can be when developing software based on the system's specs and libraries.
And add to that the fact that you can have almost the entire Nintendo legacy in it (excluding 3DS and Dolphin, and a couple WiiU games not yet ported for DX versions), and it's just amazing.

All in all, I am always delighted to see the development of an app/emu and how it evolves, and this is a clear example of that :)

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agree 100%

Not only does it give the system its iwn unique feel, but it also shows how many interesting and skilled people can be when developing software based on the system's specs and libraries.
And add to that the fact that you can have almost the entire Nintendo legacy in it (excluding 3DS and Dolphin, and a couple WiiU games not yet ported for DX versions), and it's just amazing.

All in all, I am always delighted to see the development of an app/emu and how it evolves, and this is a clear example of that :)
I wouldn’t say other OS’s are dumb, they do have some huge advantages, like the proper nvgpu drivers in L4T are really nice to have. But usually if there’s a homebrew version of something and it works decently I’ll choose it over the linux version of it

Reactions: DSoryu

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like a medium overclock would easily handle this. That's great news, and easy to stomach if the GPU is mostly idle.

So you just need a built-in overclock (hooking into sys-clk?) and you're good.

Reactions: DogParty

doctorgoat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
progress!

like the x64 JIT (which has been merged btw!) the ARM64 JIT is now in a state where it's roughly complete, with still (hopefully very few or no:D) bugs to be found and optimisations to be made.

Unfortunately the speed gained by the dynarec wasn't enough, it ran almost full speed. In most situations the 2D GPU was the bottleneck now (3-4ms spent emulating the CPU while 9ms per frame spent emulating the 2D GPU). Fortunately I had already experimented with some optimisations in the past and here we are. It's running barely at full speed, but there's also still enough optimisation potential there.

EDIT: this is of course without overclocking

What about more challenging titles to run like FF4 or SaGa 2? I've got no problem with overclocking a bit, considering at least one game goes to higher clocking for performance

crow132

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Helena
Agree 100%

is not a dumb idea, and you can always have the option to boot multiple OS

you should respect the hard job of those who port other OS to the switch for us who find it really useful

Reactions: DSoryu

catlover007

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What about more challenging titles to run like FF4 or SaGa 2? I've got no problem with overclocking a bit, considering at least one game goes to higher clocking for performance
Sounds like a medium overclock would easily handle this. That's great news, and easy to stomach if the GPU is mostly idle.

I haven't tried many games, but I think through high overclocking most 2d games and light 3d games reach full speed (most of the time). Still I target no overclock, especially since there's still a lot of potential for optimisation.

I'm currently optimising 2d graphics, since every game uses them and outside of loading screens they're the bottleneck currently. The next thing on my list are further CPU dynarec optimisations, to eliminate the performance drops during loading screens and other cpu intense situations. At this point hopefully most 2d games will run more or less flawlessly. The next step would be 3d optimisation, we'll see when we get there.

Last edited by catlover007,

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@StapleButter is texture dumping/replacement on your todo list? I think the DS does pretty good at polycount and lighting effects, but I think something should be done with those low-res textures :)

Mouser X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I haven't given my 2 cents yet, let me just say "Thank You!" for not abandoning this project. Apparently Drastic is nice, but I intend to run HOS/Atmosphere most of the time. So being able to play NDS games without having to reboot is awesome! I really look forward to playing Tetris DS and Solatorobo with seperable controllers (seriously. The fact that the Switch has mountable/removable controllers is a major selling point for me!).

So, for everyone involved, thank you! This is awesome. :)

Reactions: catlover007

catlover007

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@StapleButter is texture dumping/replacement on your todo list? I think the DS does pretty good at polycount and lighting effects, but I think something should be done with those low-res textures :)

Texture replacement would require a texture cache, which would also be an optimisation both the sw and the ogl renderer. It was mentioned a few times in the past, but there are currently no plans for anyone to implement it. If I ever get to the point where I optimise the 3d rendering, a texture cache would probably be something I would try.

Still texture replacement would require some additional work and would probably be left out for the sw renderer, since it's more focussed on accuracy and performance wouldn't be great either.

Arisotura

rise of melonism
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
texture cache and replacement is something that is planned, as well as xBRZ filtering and other fancy shit :)

but, y'know how this goes, I need to actually get there. and maybe understand how xBRZ filtering works and how I can apply it where I want.

Unfortunately the speed gained by the dynarec wasn't enough, it ran almost full speed. In most situations the 2D GPU was the bottleneck now (3-4ms spent emulating the CPU while 9ms per frame spent emulating the 2D GPU). Fortunately I had already experimented with some optimisations in the past and here we are. It's running barely at full speed, but there's also still enough optimisation potential there.
interesting. I'd like to learn more about why the 2D GPU runs so slowly on ARM platforms. we must be hitting some pitfall specific to ARM, as my profiling sessions on x64 have shown that the main bottleneck is always CPU emulation.

fun reminders of blargSNES, though-- I ran into the exact same issue, the PPU being the bottleneck. maybe I just suck at writing fast renderers under ARM :P

by the way, melonDS 0.8.3 is out, check it out

we haven't merged the JIT into it yet tho, I want to give it more testing and shit. there will be beta releases for JIT and DSi soon enough.

RisingHopperZeroOne

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Oh okay I truly dont mind the overclock I just want playable pokemon platinum tbh is there any estimation at how far along the JIT is though?
I wouldn't mind if the performance improvement is great but it isn't at the moment and the answer is soon, there will be a beta releases for it as said above.

Reactions: tman708

catlover007

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
the x64 JIT will get a beta build sooner or later. On the otherhand the ARM64 JIT(which is relevant for switch) still sleeps on my computer and probably will continue to do so for some time. While not running 3d graphics(which haven't got any optimisations since the last time) all games I tried ran fullspeed, except for loading screens, where the cpu utilitisation jumps to 100%. So there're more JIT optimisations needed, esp. since I want to get some headroom for 3d games.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
the x64 JIT will get a beta build sooner or later. On the otherhand the ARM64 JIT(which is relevant for switch) still sleeps on my computer and probably will continue to do so for some time. While not running 3d graphics(which haven't got any optimisations since the last time) all games I tried ran fullspeed, except for loading screens, where the cpu utilitisation jumps to 100%. So there're more JIT optimisations needed, esp. since I want to get some headroom for 3d games.
That sounds awesome :)
I can't wait for the JIT to evolve and melonDS as well.
Having DS emulation on the Switch would be an awesome addition.

Reactions: Mouser X

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"