WIP melonDS for Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by Hydr8gon, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Hydr8gon
    OP

Hydr8gon Dragon Trainer

Dec 15, 2014
    Canada
    Actually, on her blog back in May, StapleButter said:
    So yeah, for a while the project was dead, but just recently work on it has resumed. Which is why I chose to release this now!

Last edited by Hydr8gon, Oct 28, 2018
    focusonme likes this.
  2. mariogamer

mariogamer GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 12, 2015
    Canada
    Ah ok thanks.

3. mustafag32g

mustafag32g GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 30, 2014
    Argentina
    opengl was implented to libnx? Anyone with a bit of experience, can port it to melonDS?

4. Hydr8gon
    OP

Hydr8gon Dragon Trainer

Dec 15, 2014
    Canada
    melonDS doesn't yet have an OpenGL renderer on any system, so it's not a simple port over. Once a hardware renderer is written, it should be easy enough to port.

5. Csmrcc

Csmrcc GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2018
    Spain
    And then it is very possible that the fps will be increased? I like how it sounds.

6. ganons

ganons GBAtemp Addict

Jun 12, 2005
  7. Hydr8gon
    OP

Hydr8gon Dragon Trainer

Dec 15, 2014
    Canada
  8. Hydr8gon
    OP

Hydr8gon Dragon Trainer

Dec 15, 2014
    Canada
    I've released a small update; check the notes below for details. GitHub is being dumb and not letting me upload a release but it's up here on GBAtemp.
    When I get some more time to work on this I'd like to add some form of options menu for the limited .ini settings melonDS has, some basic screen layouts, and maybe even input remapping. That'll probably be the next update. Honestly, this one is more of a "the project isn't dead!" update.

9. Csmrcc

Csmrcc GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2018
    Spain
    great, nice to see some advances, thank you!

10. OkazakiTheOtaku

OkazakiTheOtaku no thanks, I don't want a custom title

Jul 20, 2016
    Japan
    Glad this isn't dead. I can't wait to play some DS RPGs on the Switch.

11. Jonhy

Jonhy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 22, 2016
    United States
    I know melonDS isn't coming as a retroarch core, but hopefully, it can benefit from the switch overclock methods!

JJTapia19 likes this.
  12. Csmrcc

Csmrcc GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2018
    Spain
    Right now we all are waiting for that programmer who success on working on the bounty. After that a lot of emulators/games/honebrew will be benefited.
    I think the bounty now is about two thousand dollars.

13. Hydr8gon
    OP

Hydr8gon Dragon Trainer

Dec 15, 2014
    Canada
    After that last release, and seeing StapleButter working hard on melonDS, I was oddly inspired to keep working. So here's another release! Check it out on GitHub. Notes below.
    And here's some extra information. I haven't actually tested this on my actual Switch yet; I've been using yuzu instead. It should work the same on an actual Switch, but let me know if you have any issues. I was planning on testing on my actual Switch, which I've been keeping homebrew-free since the online service launched, but my SD card reader was being wonky and I wasn't able to get my Switch homebrew-ready again. The only real downside to this is that I can't accurately test how the performance is affected by the new options. However, when I was first working on this port, when I had no audio support and had just added threading with no mutex locking (this is what fixes the tearing), some games, specifically 3D ones, would run slightly faster than DeSmuME-NX. So I've been planning on adding these options from the start. This is about the best I can do to up the performance without diving into core melonDS code and making some big changes. Which I do hope to do at some point, but I don't think I'm ready for that yet. @Jonhy the overclock is interesting; I've just now learned about it, but assuming it's a CPU overclock it'll definitely help melonDS. If it's a GPU overclock, it probably won't help. @Csmrcc the RetroArch bounty is specifically for N64 emulators; it won't benefit melonDS. Anyways, this turned into an essay, so I'm gonna stop myself here. Enjoy the new release!

Last edited by Hydr8gon, Oct 24, 2018
    Jonhy, JJTapia19 and OkazakiTheOtaku like this.
  14. sbah

sbah Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 3, 2018
    United States
    v0.2 worked for me yesterday (but without sound) -- just tried the new v0.3 on my 6.0.1 Switch and it always crashes with "The software was closed because an error occurred" immediately upon launch when started from the NSP hbmenu, and if I start from the regular album hbmenu I have to reboot my switch. Not sure if my issue is isolated but thought I'd let you know

15. Hydr8gon
    OP

Hydr8gon Dragon Trainer

Dec 15, 2014
    Canada
    That doesn't sound good. Thanks for telling me. Can anyone else confirm either of these issues? Crashing in v0.3 and missing sound in v0.2. I'm going to try to look into it.

Last edited by Hydr8gon, Oct 24, 2018
  16. DogParty

DogParty GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    United States
    To add a little more info here, the bounty is for an N64 MIPS to AArch64 dynarec. This won't help because the DS uses two ARM processors (ARM7 and ARM9 to be specific).

Hydr8gon likes this.
  17. OkazakiTheOtaku

Jul 20, 2016
    Japan
    Hey, the newest release on GitHub at time of posting ("Options Menu") runs pretty well, but there is no sound.
    ReiNX newest release, firmware 5.1

Sound is enabled in the options menu

Hydr8gon likes this.
  18. Hydr8gon
    OP

Hydr8gon Dragon Trainer

Dec 15, 2014
    Canada
    Thanks, good to know it's not crashing at least. Have you tried the last release (0.2)? Did it have sound? I attached a build of 0.3 with the audio option removed; try that. Not sure why it would break audio, but I've got no other ideas right now.

Attached Files:

19. MK73DS

MK73DS GBAtemp Fan

Feb 23, 2015
    France
    France
    I don't get why emulators on the Switch aren't built for ARM, everything is painfully slow even though the system has a lot of potential. Drastic is by far my favorite emulator, it runs DS games at full speed even on a 100€ android phone from 2013. Maybe I'm too dumb to understand that, but isn't the effort worth it ? With all the power the Switch has, why don't make the best HD DS experience ever made ?

20. OkazakiTheOtaku

Jul 20, 2016
    Japan
    Just tried this build. Still no sound. I haven't tried v0.2 though.

Hydr8gon likes this.