Megaupload taken down

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Not present where I live, God bless my backwards country.
Poland? It's present there (ZPAV collects 3% on all blank media), it's just not listed in the Wikipedia article.
It's not the end-user who pays it but the blank media importer/manufacturer. The blank medium has the standard VAT tax only as far as I know. But yeah, I suppose you're right, some money is being paid at the end of the day.

EDIT: I also just read up that the tax is not always imposed. Group organizations such as offices do not have to pay the levy as it cannot be considered "private use".

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
It's not the end-user who pays it but the blank media importer/manufacturer.
And the importer/manufacturer then covers the difference by raising the price of the media. One way or another it's the end user that takes it in the pants.

Reactions: 1 person

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So what the hell was the point of the SOPA act then? Seems they don't need any laws to police the internet.

But this really doesn't affect me that much. Megaupload is a fast host but they are pretty diligent at removing stuff. All my pirated goods are from Fileserve now.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's not the end-user who pays it but the blank media importer/manufacturer.
And the importer/manufacturer then covers the difference by raising the price of the media. One way or another it's the end user that takes it in the pants.
You took what I said out of context. I did say "you are right" in a sense, implying that it rises the final price of the product.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
I used MU to share many files with people (legal), since sending them through DCC (IRC) or Instant Message was a pain in the ass. I just made a text file with all my links and what was in them.

I hosted Mods for various games, Public Domain music, and tons of stock images. Not to mention at least 10 Linux Distros.

This fucking blows.

sputnix

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
damnit MU was the best for DL site fast speed easy or no captcha, sure there's a dl limit but it's not horrible. Now my fav pirate DL site is gone :(
but seriously the legislation hasn't gone through how where they able to do this

M[u]ddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I just hope they don't take down Mediafire, it's the only site that has no captchas, no timer and no download limit...
It's really been some time since anyone's been on rapidshare, it seems. They now have all this for free users and no speed limitation.

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
Wow... That's a damn shame. Guess I'll have to reupload my video game soundtracks elsewhere...
For storing files online dropbox is really good, you get 2gig of online storage, 200mb extra if you is invited by another user like this link: http://db.tt/7k7XXEp

I stoped used MU myself except from when rom hosting sites linked to them.

Gintoki Sakata

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I just hope they don't take down Mediafire, it's the only site that has no captchas, no timer and no download limit...
It's really been some time since anyone's been on rapidshare, it seems. They now have all this for free users and no speed limitation.
Agreed. Rapidshare has improved a lot since their redesign and lawsuit win.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
http://www.scribd.com/doc/78786408/Mega-Indictment

Indictment. I stopped reading it once i realised how wrong a lot of it appears to be, and how much bias and scaremongering is involved.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    He just means that some conversations are light and funny, Madonna having sex with a dog? Hilarious! Your uncle beating your dog then making you watch him molest it? Kinda ehhhh drama lol
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, why do people hate seasons 20 and 23 of south park?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't know. People hate and down vote everything nowdays. I see it especially on gamestores, like every game has a negative rating, even though they are good games.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    With south park, they speak the truth, whether people like it or not, then peeps get they're panties in a bunch.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    See ya later fr
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Later gator
    +2
  • G @ GamerGatorDoesTech:
    @BigOnYa i thought that was like a specific comment towards me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Lol
  • ModernSithLord @ ModernSithLord:
    lol later gator that was good one @BigOnYa
    +1
  • Shgofc @ Shgofc:
    if i think i exist, then, i dont exi...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They started hating later seasons because it turned into half seasons and specials
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People in youtube comments are such dick riders "oh I can't believe he said that to you" clicks on other video "wow this is amazing."
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Everyone is triggered nowadays too easy, bunch of pansies.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    1st video- That's why I hate ordering stuff online, if I can just go pick it up myself nearby. Wal-Mart online did that to me years ago, sent wrong item, I went to Wal-Mart by me to return, but noo, I had to mail it back and wait.
    99% of the time ordering online I have had flawless experiences, only time something was messed up, I ordered a big TV from Amazon and it came smashed the box was literally like some one jumped up and down on it, didn't even open it, contacted Amazon sent them pictures, they made me open it and take more pictures, free label to return it and they sent another. So it was relatively painless. But still annoying.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I did it just because I don't like you
    Ken you Amazonian Maniac lol
    Cool band name lol
    Their hit song Deliver Us from good, was a banger
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Imagine what I'd do if I did like you
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/t1zTwu2R2Ys?si=BqY1TtbKs14wi7z4