ROM Hack Megaman ZX Advent Undub

Sir VG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I haven't worked on Ashe's route post save yet though I'm fairly sure it'll face the same issues.

P.S. Don't worry, I suck too at these handheld Mega Man games. ^^;;

iritegood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I uploaded the new .sav
It's at the same URL
http://qwervz.googlepages.com/MegaManZXAdventU.zip
But after the boss battle and before I could save there was a lot of dialog, mostly the model a thing talking about how it can absorb DNA, and these 3 old dudes who call themselves the 'Trinity Sage' or something similar.
If you want, I can write down the dialogs, but it'll take a while.

Sir VG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, you could, but I haven't gotten caught up with the latest undubbing. And I'm sure I'm gonna be running into this problem a lot, until the M3 makes a new firmware release that fixes the problem, or I actually can get a hold of the no$gba patch.

It would also help if we could get some other people involved and work on one scenario (say, Ashe, while I work on Grey).

But I'll continue to do what I can.

iritegood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As for now, if you run into any problems or need certain stuff written down (and possibly even recorded, I'll see what I can do) you can just PM me.

impact24

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi SirVG/iritegood, thanks for your effort. My vacation is ending and I gotta get back to work, but I'll make sure to help out in what way I can. I can play through Ashe's scenario once I have time and collect multiple saves throughout the game.

My only problem is that I use a supercard rather than an M3. I'll google a bit first on how to do the saves.

iritegood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hi SirVG/iritegood, thanks for your effort. My vacation is ending and I gotta get back to work, but I'll make sure to help out in what way I can. I can play through Ashe's scenario once I have time and collect multiple saves throughout the game.

My only problem is that I use a supercard rather than an M3. I'll google a bit first on how to do the saves.

Don't worry, just upload your save and I can work with it. If you want, use Shuny's Savegames converter to change the saves.
http://shunyweb.info/

ultimatecat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Those who played the first Megaman ZX game on the DS, was the voices in the US version of the game dubbed as well? It's true that they didn't speak so much, but sometimes during fights the bosses said a few words, also when you used the buster. Was their voices in japanese?

I'm just wondering because when I bought the first game (Europe version). All the original voices were kept, which is good in my option. If the US version was dubbed for ZX 1 (which I don't know), then there is a high chance that the Europe version won't be dubbed.

macherie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh ultimatecat, so you mean to say that the Europe version of Megaman ZX is undubbed with original japanese voices?

Sir VG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks impact24. If the Supercard creates saves onto the computer in .sav or .dat format, then I can read it without issue.

Right now I need to find exactly where Grey's new section (after the first save) starts up.

impact24

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nice savegame converting site...that should do it.

I'll probably make a bunch of saves before uploading them somewhere. Hopefully I can start this weekend at latest. My work seems to have accumulated while I was gone.
frown.gif

Hypershell

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm just wondering because when I bought the first game (Europe version). All the original voices were kept, which is good in my option. If the US version was dubbed for ZX 1 (which I don't know), then there is a high chance that the Europe version won't be dubbed.
Untrue, I hate to say.

The original, japanese ZX has spoken voicework for ALL story-relevant dialogue. It's comparable to MegaMan X Command Mission on the PS2/GCN. Basically everything in ZX except for your random townspeople, Guardian members, and the fire victims, are voiced. In the english release, this was removed completely with no replacement, leaving only those voices that were parts of anime cutscenese, and the in-game grunts/yells. Nothing in the game was redubbed, rather, the vast majority of the voicework was simply removed.

I've checked the European version of ZX, and I hate to break it to you, but you guys got the same lousy deal that the U.S. folks did. Sorry.

What are the problems if we approach it the other way just like Hypershell did?
Well, to give you an idea, I'll run down the problems that still rear their ugly heads for me in the first ZX:
1. Graphics which display japanese text (menu options, name labels, that kind of thing). These are image files which are only named by number, and there's a lot of them, so unless there's a handy app floating around somewhere, there's no way to tell what's what.
2. Certain files are not swap-friendly, and will crash the game. This happens in the first ZX with any non-story/mission-relevant dialogue, and the secret disk database. I was left with no choice but to leave the japanese files in (japanese file + no japanese font = garbled mess, but at least the game still runs).
3. Sometimes, since the spacing is intended for japanese characters, things such as yes/no selections, save data labels, and sub-quest titles will get scrunched or garbled. Half the credits are a garbled mess as well.
4. The number of text boxes doesn't match between the two versions, many times it takes two english text boxes to cover what can be done in japanese with one, so there is not a voice file for every english dialogue box.

The extra monkey wrench in trying to do this with ZX Advent, as discussed earlier in this thread, is that in Advent there are now individual files for each dialogue box. So, due to issue #4, the english and japanese voice files do not match up. This wasn't the case in the first ZX, since there were no english voice files in the first place, so I'm not sure if a text-swap in the same manner would work here or not.

By the way, folks, I appreciate the votes of confidence from earlier in this thread, but I am not a game hacker and have no real knowledge of such things (if I did, I'd have written an AR code that actually adds Model OX to your inventory instead of forcing the transformation, which risks crashing the game and will be undone anyway in several cutscenes; lousy Datel code-writers...). The ZX translation hack was a simple file-swap between the japanese and english versions, with a little trial and error, hence the above issues. It was sheer dumb luck that #4 in that list didn't cause mismatched voices as it is. There were people who put that together long before me, too, and it was thanks to them that I knew to keep an eye out for the font files. I was just the first (to my knowledge, anyway) to put together a user-friendly package for it, that's all.

Sir VG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Since I can't supply a patch or even all of the file changes (due to the size of it all), here's something to help create a "NoVoiceover" version.

First off, you need both the US and Jap versions of the ROMs. (DO NOT ASK FOR ROMS, via the rules).

Next, you need a program called dsbuff (or dslazy). Since I use dsbuff, I'll reference that.

Unpack the Jap version. Create a copy of following:

C:\dsbuff\NDS_UNPACK\data\vx (the entire folder)
C:\dsbuff\NDS_UNPACK\data\sound_data.sdat

Put them somewhere else, like the desktop.

Now, unpack the US version.

Take the files you copied above and overwrite the unpacked files (same locations. Just overwrite).

Now, un-7-zip the 7-zip file I'm including via link. These are simply dummy files. Take that AHX folder and overwrite the AHX folder that exists in the unpack folder.

Repack the ROM.

Dummy AHX files

Sir VG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, I'm working on that too (very slowly though). But somebody also requested a "voice removed" versions with Jap cutscenes/in-game sounds, so I created this alternative.

darkshadow51

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Since I can't supply a patch or even all of the file changes (due to the size of it all), here's something to help create a "NoVoiceover" version.

First off, you need both the US and Jap versions of the ROMs. (DO NOT ASK FOR ROMS, via the rules).

Next, you need a program called dsbuff (or dslazy). Since I use dsbuff, I'll reference that.

Unpack the Jap version. Create a copy of following:

C:\dsbuff\NDS_UNPACK\data\vx (the entire folder)
C:\dsbuff\NDS_UNPACK\data\sound_data.sdat

Put them somewhere else, like the desktop.

Now, unpack the US version.

Take the files you copied above and overwrite the unpacked files (same locations. Just overwrite).

Now, un-7-zip the 7-zip file I'm including via link. These are simply dummy files. Take that AHX folder and overwrite the AHX folder that exists in the unpack folder.

Repack the ROM.

Dummy AHX files
Go check at page 2, I already explained how to remove voices from the dialogues, and you don't need to replace with dummy files, I completely removed them exept for few that are needed if you don't want to miss some sound and it perfectly works.

ultimatecat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Untrue, I hate to say.

The original, japanese ZX has spoken voicework for ALL story-relevant dialogue. It's comparable to MegaMan X Command Mission on the PS2/GCN. Basically everything in ZX except for your random townspeople, Guardian members, and the fire victims, are voiced. In the english release, this was removed completely with no replacement, leaving only those voices that were parts of anime cutscenese, and the in-game grunts/yells. Nothing in the game was redubbed, rather, the vast majority of the voicework was simply removed.

I've checked the European version of ZX, and I hate to break it to you, but you guys got the same lousy deal that the U.S. folks did. Sorry.

Oh, I never expected them to remove the voices completely. It seems I missed out on some things of the game then :/ I thought they kept the original voices when the chacters spoke japanese words from time to time in the game.

QUOTE(macherie @ Nov 5 2007, 12:14 PM)Oh ultimatecat, so you mean to say that the Europe version of Megaman ZX is undubbed with original japanese voices?

I doesn't seem like that after reading the above post.

gukid

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Following your instructions I did the NODUB thing as well, but with deleting all the voice files. I actually noticed with using the dummy files (or any voice files?) there was a little bit of a skip in the animation when advancing the text, which is doesn't do without the voice files, so I'm actually really happy with it. I really couldn't see myself enjoying the game much at all with the english voices, but how it is now (with japanese voices for shooting, jumping, intro, etc.) I'm really enjoying it.

It's just too bad that I feel that the only way I can enjoy games these days is by drastically changing parts of it. Anyone who works to create UNDUBs or fan translations of games to put them back to how they are supposed to be has my utmost respect.

GuardianHX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys, would it work to put the tileset data (Any files that have "fnt" in the name.) the script (They have "talk" in the name, I think.), and the Font data in the Japanese rom?
It would keep Japanese voices in, but have translated text and graphics in the Japanese rom.

Unless, of course, one of those files holds the information that tells the game what .ahx filenames are supposed to be used.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu