Hacking Mega Man 10 no bilinear filter patch

SuperrSonic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Before this gets buried and I forget; When you play this game in widescreen it applies a blurry filter, a few days ago I made a code that forces the game to start in 4:3 mode, when the game texture has initialized the code switches it back to 16:9 thus skipping the blurry filter, since the game's active size is 512x480 no resolution is lost when the TV stretches it to widescreen, and the stretch isn't too offensive.

To make it more worthy of its own post, I've included some files to permanently patch this function into a wad of Mega Man 10, that will allow it to pick the best scale/settings depending on your Wii System Settings. This works by using a slightly modded version of the old Taiko nandloader to check the Wii settings and enable the changes that need to happen in realtime, as embedding codes doesn't work with the official nandloader.

DL link
You can probably imagine how it would look, this video was made to keep a record outside of GBATemp but if you want a preview here it is.
You can also see here the small defect that occurs to the HOME Menu. *Also note: this was recorded off Dolphin without account to square pixels, on a real Wii it would not look as fat as it does here.

I'm also attaching the WRXE.txt for other loaders, since it can be a pain to deal with the wad patching.
The "WR9E.txt" file is for Mega Man 9, this one doesn't apply bilinear filtering in 16:9 mode but it has an incorrect scale which causes the annoying shimmering effect. These codes should cover all cases.

These are for the NTSC-U versions but it should not be too difficult to port them, or even run the NTSC versions with PAL/other region settings.

Attachments

• WRXE.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 160
  • WR9E.txt
    683 bytes · Views: 169

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Before this gets buried and I forget; When you play this game in widescreen it applies a blurry filter, a few days ago I made a code that forces the game to start in 4:3 mode, when the game texture has initialized the code switches it back to 16:9 thus skipping the blurry filter, since the game's active size is 512x480 no resolution is lost when the TV stretches it to widescreen, and the stretch isn't too offensive.

To make it more worthy of its own post, I've included some files to permanently patch this function into a wad of Mega Man 10, that will allow it to pick the best scale/settings depending on your Wii System Settings. This works by using a slightly modded version of the old Taiko nandloader to check the Wii settings and enable the changes that need to happen in realtime, as embedding codes doesn't work with the official nandloader.

DL link
You can probably imagine how it would look, this video was made to keep a record outside of GBATemp but if you want a preview here it is.
You can also see here the small defect that occurs to the HOME Menu. *Also note: this was recorded off Dolphin without account to square pixels, on a real Wii it would not look as fat as it does here.

I'm also attaching the WRXE.txt for other loaders, since it can be a pain to deal with the wad patching.
The "WR9E.txt" file is for Mega Man 9, this one doesn't apply bilinear filtering in 16:9 mode but it has an incorrect scale which causes the annoying shimmering effect. These codes should cover all cases.

These are for the NTSC-U versions but it should not be too difficult to port them, or even run the NTSC versions with PAL/other region settings.

These look great, though I couldn't use them since the xdelta patches do not match with the known good checksums for the WADs. I even tried ignoring the verification, but it produced 1MB files.

Reactions: SaulFabre

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
These look great, though I couldn't use them since the xdelta patches do not match with the known good checksums for the WADs. I even tried ignoring the verification, but it produced 1MB files.
@niuus
Have you tried using the WiiWare WADs of Mega Man 9/10 from the No-Intro collection?

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
@niuus
Have you tried using the WiiWare WADs of Mega Man 9/10 from the No-Intro collection?
@niuus I figured it out.

The .xdelta patches for Mega Man 9 & 10 MUST be applied to the extracted 00000001.app file (without any modification, not even uncompressed, it MUST be untouched) of the Mega Man 9 or 10 WAD you're trying to patch.
I mean, first extract the MM9 or MM10 WAD using any WAD un/packer like wwPacker, then patch its original 00000001.app file with the xdelta patch (i use DeltaPatcher).

Then, after applying the xdelta patch to 1.app file, you need to replace the NAND Loader of the MM9 or MM10 WAD with the new Nandloader file (0000000a.app) provided with the patch, otherwise the patch won't work on Wii.

After applying both patches to MM9 or MM10 WAD, you need to repack it again with wwPacker.

Reactions: niuus

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
@niuus I figured it out.

The .xdelta patches for Mega Man 9 & 10 MUST be applied to the extracted 00000001.app file (without any modification, not even uncompressed, it MUST be untouched) of the Mega Man 9 or 10 WAD you're trying to patch.
I mean, first extract the MM9 or MM10 WAD using any WAD un/packer like wwPacker, then patch its original 00000001.app file with the xdelta patch (i use DeltaPatcher).

Then, after applying the xdelta patch to 1.app file, you need to replace the NAND Loader of the MM9 or MM10 WAD with the new Nandloader file (0000000a.app) provided with the patch, otherwise the patch won't work on Wii.

After applying both patches to MM9 or MM10 WAD, you need to repack it again with wwPacker.
Great find. It was a real pain to make all the steps, but at least now I can make some xdelta patches specifically for the correct WADs and share them. Mega Man 10 looks better than ever without the horrendous Bilinear filter. The only game I couldn't notice a difference was Mega Man 9, which still has shimmering while scrolling.

Flo_o

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi SaulFabre, this is awesome, great work! I will certainly test it out. Is it also possible to patch in gamecube controller controls instead of the wiimote only controls? That would be awesome.

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Hi SaulFabre, this is awesome, great work! I will certainly test it out. Is it also possible to patch in gamecube controller controls instead of the wiimote only controls? That would be awesome.
First, this patch was made by @SuperrSonic, not me.
Second, i don't think you can hack the game for use GCN controllers instead of Wiimote only.

Voultar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just curious, I know that these patches disable the bilinear filter, but how about the flicker filter, is that disabled, too?

Reactions: AutumnWolf

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
From what I remember these games have no deflicker filter, if played on 4:3 you'd get the usual interlaced refresh jittery image. and I don't know of any game that only adds deflicker to a particular aspect ratio.

SuperrSonic also shared a way to modify the games to play at 480p in other thread.

AutumnWolf

JRPG enjoyer, Xenoblade, YS and DQ connoisseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Just curious, I know that these patches disable the bilinear filter, but how about the flicker filter, is that disabled, too?
Games/channels you have installed to your Wii also show up on USB Loader GX, which includes a feature to disable the flicker filter.

filevans

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

DL link

can you explain how you use these files or where to put them? i'm using usb loader gx, so how to i use these files to patch the games? i want to run them in 480p with no bilinear filtering

uzumaki97

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't messed with Wii hacking in a very long time so I had to learn all this from scratch. I don't like the Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 version of MM9, which I bought for switch. So, I eventually found this thread for playing it on Wii. I made a video showing how to apply these patches. Thank you to @SuperrSonic for creating them and @SaulFabre for the writeup! If anyone has success with disabling flicker filter with USB loader, please post here. I didn't try, but I think it looks great patched with some scanline effects on my OSSC! And the NES Classic controller works with it!

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
There is no flicker for 9, never had it in the first place.10 did though.

What is wrong with the version of Legacy 2? I never tried it as I already have 9 and 10, and now I can play them at 480p with the proper aspect ratio and look miles better than before.

uzumaki97

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Legacy 2 is ok. I can’t put my finger on it; maybe it was in my head but it just didn’t feel the same. It feels better to me on Wii with the NES controller and scanline / CRT effects through a scaler.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Oh, I see. I thought there was some problems with it (like technical issues, or input delays and such) that I never heard abojt.

I was just curious.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over