Hacking Mega Drive Wads - Need Help in changing Video Mode

RadioShadow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
WiiCrazy mentioned about using the Wii Generic Patcher to convert the video mode in the file 00000001.app in a Commodor 64 to run in 60Hz mode.

I wondered if this would work in a Mega Drive Pal Wad. So using the Sonic 1 wad, I opened the 00000001.app (renaming it to main.dol) and searched for the video modes using the Wii Generic Patcher tool.

1-3.jpg

Now I changed the last three video options to run as PAL 60.

2-3.jpg

Now I kinda of got it too work. With the Wii set to 60Hz, I get this:

DSC_0489.jpg

The rom is running fine in the emulator but the picture is fuzzy, in black and white and is slow. Although I think it's trying to display in full screen. The same effect happened when setting the Wii to 50Hz. If I set the Wii to 480p, nothing would display but the the rom was still running and the Wii Remote had a connection with the Wii.

Any ideas what I should set the modes as to make the picture display correctly?

Gnac

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
samsam12 said:
set it to PAL 60 480i

Then it won't work properly via component. I have the same TV as RadioShadow, and interlaced games show up as a massive green glitch.

RadioShadow, I'm afraid the best thing you can do is get some ROMs and Genplus, as we PAL users seem to have been fucked over yet again.

EDIT: I just noticed your TV is a 940MG, whereas mine is a 940MW. Does the MG even have component in?

RadioShadow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The TV does have a component. It's under/behind the speakers.

I'm sure I can get it to work as the Mega Drive Wads are universal. If the Wii detects the machine as a JP or US Wii, then it will boot in NTSC mode. If it's PAL, it will boot in 50Hz.

In fact before I made the post, I kinda of got it to run at full speed on the 480p mode, just the image was squashed. XD I guess I'll just have to play about with the settings.

Why can't the Pal Wii just use a standard US NTSC mode?
frown.gif

pablo_caste

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hello RadioShadow!

I know we are in 2019 but it doesn't matter. I was trying to make NTSC megadrive (genesis) wads work in pal60 480p on my PAL vWii. When I changed the video mode (with Wii Video Mode Changer v 2.2) it got glitches (green bars at the bottom of the screen).

Anyways, I discovered that USA Sonic the Hedgehog wad is the only one that works in 60hz (progressive) with the patch. So, I tried to inject roms on the wad. To begin with, Sonic 2 works, but when you select "vs mode" the game shows sprite corruption (with the music working). With Comix Zone, I get the famous black screen.

I wonder how to make that the Sonic 2 wad works with the patch like Sonic 1 wad.

Reactions: SaulFabre

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, https://youtu.be/KaMSXIRReOo?si=2hRoijJtiwPUHXk5