Medusa, a new DS (and GB/GBA) emulator is in the works

IMG_0943.JPG

endrift, the developer behind the multi-platform mGBA emulator, revealed that his April fools prank was actually real. He is indeed working on a new DS emulator that he plans to merge with mGBA and create Medusa, a GB, GBA and DS emulator in one application.

He says that it's currently an early alpha with about 80% of the DS' hardware implemented. Be sure to head over to his website and check out his post, that also includes new information about the next versions of mGBA.

Check out the downloads page for early Medusa builds for Windows, macOS and Ubuntu. Source can be found on his Github. Issues can be reported to the bug tracker.

If you want to support the developer, you can do so via his Patreon or donate page.

:arrow: Source

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Necrobump: The actual reason for which 3 new DS emulators are being developped is because zerimus sabotaged the DS emulation scene. He sabotaged Wifi emulation in DeSmuME, sabotaged Pokémon emulation, and his emulator is utterly crap. It runs so slow that even running DraStic through BlueStacks Android emulator is faster than it. On my computer it runs slower than Dolphin at 2x native resolution.
The 3 emulators developped are:
-melonDS, by StapleButter (dev of blargSNES & lolSNES)
-medusa, by endrift
-GBE+, by Shonumi.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Necrobump: The actual reason for which 3 new DS emulators are being developped is because zerimus sabotaged the DS emulation scene. He sabotaged Wifi emulation in DeSmuME, sabotaged Pokémon emulation, and his emulator is utterly crap. It runs so slow that even running DraStic through BlueStacks Android emulator is faster than it. On my computer it runs slower than Dolphin at 2x native resolution.
The 3 emulators developped are:
-melonDS, by StapleButter (dev of blargSNES & lolSNES)
-medusa, by endrift
-GBE+, by Shonumi.

What the heck is GBE+? I never heard of that. DeSmuME hasn't been updated in a long time, either.

Trophies
XP
Country
France
What the heck is GBE+? I never heard of that. DeSmuME hasn't been updated in a long time, either.
Yeah, like mGBA/medusa, it was originally a GB/GBC/GBA emu but recently went into DS. (https://github.com/shonumi/gbe-plus) actually, SB is working mostly on accuracy. And for now, it already has basic sound emulation and decent 3D, after only 4 months of work. Oh, and it also runs MUCH faster than DeSmuME. The reason for which there haven't been any new DeSmuME updates is because the development on this emu is pretty much dead because of the main dev. The code is also pretty much a mess.
Here's melonDS' official website: http://melonds.kuribo64.net/

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You can bitch and whine all you want, but mGBA has without a doubt surpassed almost every other GBA emulator at the moment, not to mention endrift is going the portability approach, and trying to get the emulator running to as many platforms possible.
mGBA is already running on Wii, 3DS, Vita, Windows, Linux and Mac, with even an ARM build in the plans (or was it ARM dynarec?), and that's without taking into consideration the Retroarch ports of course.
The PC ports of mGBA include a lot of debugging tools really helpful for romhackers, which I have to say the No$ emulators area really tricky and hard to get going if you have zero experience with them.

With that said, endrift has a lot of knowledge about the GBA/DS hardware, and I have total faith that this DS emulator will be one of the best DS emulators out there some time down the road.
You can shove your Desmume and No$GBA up your ass for all I care, but I know this will become something exceptional.

Trophies
XP
Country
France
@ShadowOne333 Yeah, I know, that's what I was saying. Basically, I think that the biggest weakness of DeSmuSHIT is that it relies at 100% on the CPU no matter what you do. As a result, II just tested the latest build, and basically I get 23fps on Super Mario 64 DS on the bloody title screen. Yes, the title screen. And with JIT recompiler at maximum speed. I call that utterly crap.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@ShadowOne333 Yeah, I know, that's what I was saying. Basically, I think that the biggest weakness of DeSmuSHIT is that it relies at 100% on the CPU no matter what you do. As a result, II just tested the latest build, and basically I get 23fps on Super Mario 64 DS on the bloody title screen. Yes, the title screen. And with JIT recompiler at maximum speed. I call that utterly crap.
We gotta be honest, Desmume is poorly optimized.
And with Drastic being closed sourced, that leaves very few good open source options for anyone who wants to port it to another platform.
endrift surely has this in mind and I have no doubt Medusa will be accurate and with good optimizations to its code.

Reactions: VinsCool

AtlasFontaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
We gotta be honest, Desmume is poorly optimized.
And with Drastic being closed sourced, that leaves very few good open source options for anyone who wants to port it to another platform.
endrift surely has this in mind and I have no doubt Medusa will be accurate and with good optimizations to its code.

Fun fact, if you run Drastic on an android emulator on PC it'll run better compared to using Desmume.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes and no. DeSmuME team is still developing it under GitHub regularly and they didn't release the newer version just yet. :)

They're sure taking their sweet time though :rolleyes:
Fun fact, if you run Drastic on an android emulator on PC it'll run better compared to using Desmume.

I can run DeSmuME just fine on my PC :P DraStic is all well and good, but it close sourced XD

Reactions: spotanjo3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro