Medusa, a new DS (and GB/GBA) emulator is in the works

IMG_0943.JPG

endrift, the developer behind the multi-platform mGBA emulator, revealed that his April fools prank was actually real. He is indeed working on a new DS emulator that he plans to merge with mGBA and create Medusa, a GB, GBA and DS emulator in one application.

He says that it's currently an early alpha with about 80% of the DS' hardware implemented. Be sure to head over to his website and check out his post, that also includes new information about the next versions of mGBA.

Check out the downloads page for early Medusa builds for Windows, macOS and Ubuntu. Source can be found on his Github. Issues can be reported to the bug tracker.

If you want to support the developer, you can do so via his Patreon or donate page.

:arrow: Source

plushifoxed

I wanna talk more about kawaii stuff!
Trophies
Website
roxie.nyc
XP
Country
United States
This is one of those "I have no idea why you're even bothering" projects.
DS is a really weird thing to emulate, but I actually used Desmume for 999 and it worked great.

Why make something that someone else has already done that works great?
Why do humans climb mountains? Because they're there.

Or, less dramatically, it's because endrift felt like doing it, and to further the pursuit of accurate/optimized emulation of these platforms. Sure, for GB/GBC you have stuff like bgb and Gambatte that are highly accurate, but as for the GBA, there were slim pickings up until she decided to start working on mGBA, and the DS scene is pretty similar, with basically only DeSmuME and no$ (and DraStic on Android). And no$, while optimized, is extremely unportable. So, imo, let's just appreciate the efforts endrift is putting forth to further the craft of emulation for these two platforms. :)

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean I have vita & a nvidia shield portable ... Ds is perfect on Android as we all know .. But there are a few 3DSgames I would like to try out .. Just to see if they work well again I have a 3ds xl but I always thought it was crap & I didn't like the 3D it just made my eyes hurt so it just sits I'm my console collection shelf

Last edited by SuperDan,

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was saying

No idea why you linked me to some random sites m8.
It just seems entirely pointless to expend so much effort playing football that has been played, and played well.
It just seems entirely pointless to expend so much effort playing soccer that has been played, and played well.
It just seems entirely pointless to expend so much effort playing plays that have been played, and played well.
It just seems entirely pointless to expend so much effort creating Office apps that have been created, and created well.

You were saying? (again)

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It just seems entirely pointless to expend so much effort playing football that has been played, and played well.
It just seems entirely pointless to expend so much effort playing soccer that has been played, and played well.
It just seems entirely pointless to expend so much effort playing plays that have been played, and played well.
It just seems entirely pointless to expend so much effort creating Office apps that have been created, and created well.

You were saying? (again)

Ugh you're a waste of my existence.

NFL makes billions of dollars. Players make millions
FIFA makes billions of dollars. Players make millions.
Broadway makes a good sum i'm sure. Actors do in turn, of course.
Office sells thousands of copies for an insane price to businesses and companies that don't know better or don't care. Likely making microsoft millions if not more.

Am I done here? or are you going to waste my time again.

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ugh you're a waste of my existence.

NFL makes billions of dollars. Players make millions
FIFA makes billions of dollars. Players make millions.
Broadway makes a good sum i'm sure. Actors do in turn, of course.
Office sells thousands of copies for an insane price to businesses and companies that don't know better or don't care. Likely making microsoft millions if not more.

Am I done here? or are you going to waste my time again.
Not all wealth is monetary...

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Jacklack3

( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here
Trophies
Website
jackomix.neocities.org
XP
Country
Canada
Well I wasn't planning on having him arrested.

It just seems entirely pointless to expend so much effort doing something that has been done, and done well.
Well remember it's also an All-In-One, but I guess no$GBA is that too. But you never know, it might be the next biggest thing.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not all wealth is monetary...

Not all examples are so shit.
You just happened to give me all monetary examples of why something is done. For money, in all of those cases except Broadway. Though money is certainly one goal.

Anyway, the project is either being done for experience, in which case there more fruitful options but at the same time, it's his choice how he chooses to improve.
or for...well, any other reason which would make it a pointless project.
I don't actually care this much i'm just replying to you wasting my time.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is always Andyroid (and I believe Drastic now has an x86 version so no massive performance hit due to ARM emulation)
i guess if you really want to use drastic there's this. but it seems a bit much to "emulate" android (term used loosely here) to run a DS emulator, when getting a native one is better.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Vieela

GBATemp's official thinker™
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hope this has bigger compatibility with games,as well as optimization to low-end computers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [cricket sounds]