Damned
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
As many of you might know, I'm an employee at McDonalds. I've been working there since last year November, and even though I expected the worst, it's actually quite good. There's a lot of benefits and stuff, and the scholarship is pretty nice too.

Anyways, today was a weird day. I started working from approximately 3 PM, and by 4, it wasn't really that busy. There were a bunch of orders here and there, and some refills to take care of. I also bought their Teryaki quarter pounder with less cheese, more lettuce, and onions out of curiousity. To tell ya, it was pretty poor. But honestly, it didn't matter for me, since I get 50% off my purchase anyway.

So, from about 6PM, it happened. There were customers coming in from all directions. The place was fucking full of people, and there were 3 people on the window/cashier. Unfortunately, one of them went on a break right afterwards, and the other one had left the restoruant. I was panicing, as there were literally endless lines of people coming in, and I was the only one to take care of things. To make the matters even worse, we were out of coffee, we were out of cups, lids, and the milkshake machine was breaking down for some reason. The ice machine was doing the best it could to produce enough ice, but it couldn't produce to meet the demands quickly enough. For like 2 hours, our drinks were served iceless. Even when the other guy came back (An hour and half ago), it was still ridiculous for us to make so much food and get it all in time. Hell, there were orders that were taking 9 minutes to make, because there were only 2 guys making the food, and 1 guy cooking the patties and stuff. We were seriously in the need of other people. But turns out, most people whom the manager called, said no, or said they were sick, which we doubted. So, with that, it was just two people, against hundreds.

At 8 PM, the place was finally calming down. There were still lines, but they were easily taken care of. The drive through runner person's (The person that gets the food to the drive through) shift was over, and she left. We didn't expect 9 people waiting at the drive through, wanting ice creams and small orders. I had to help them get the orders out, then had to cook the fries myself, and take care of the people at the window. Dear god, it was a nightmare.

People kept coming in and out, and finally, by 9, it was all over. Thank goodness for that. But the manager working that night was pretty pissed off at how the people of the higher food chain thought that we'd only need this little people on a saturday night. Also at the fact at how everyone was making excuses (On the phone.)

According to the machines, we made 750 dollars from just 8-9. Wow. That sounds insane. But if you count all the hours I've been working, it'd be even more insane. Well, with so little people with so much work, my manager just gave everyone a "free meal coupon". We could've had anything we wanted, and it would've been free. And then, I got some McDonalds "taint" and left.

It sure as hell has been a busy day at work, no doubt.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, some years back, I worked at a Clownburger myself. From what the managers told us, it was the busiest one in the district. Isn't that special? It always seemed like they figured out how many people are needed for a shift, then cut 30% of that number and expect you to keep up. Not to mention all the lazy people I had to work with and the managers seemed either afraid or just too stupid to fire them. Most of the time, it was just me, two older ladies and the management that ended up doing everything. Some of the so-called workers would disappear and we wouldn't have time to hunt them down (hiding in the can or walk-in fridge usually) until things calmed down a bit. All the managers would do is shake their finger at them and tell them to stay at their posts. That worked, until it got busy again.
dry.gif

I got to a point there where I would just push the fools out of the way to get things done, knowing I couldn't count on them. I'd stick them on easy stuff like cooking the burgers or washing dishes or something. Then, when it slowed down, I'd put them back on assembly and go clean up the mess they made.

I would come in to start my overnight shift to find NO cleaning whatsoever was done the whole day, the grease bins on the side of the grills were overflowing and dripping all over the floor, food scraps everywhere, none of the breakfast equipment was cleaned.....etc, etc.

I tolerated 2 years of that place before I finally got fed up and quit. I made it as far as crew trainer.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i used to work in a fish and chip & fresh seafood shop (lolaustralia). friday and saturday nights were by far the busiest nights. we only had 5 people working at most. on a single friday night we've managed to go well over 1500 orders in a span of 3 hours sometimes. some orders are puny ($2 of chips) but some are huge ( $20 of chips, 12 pieces of cod, 3 salmon, 4 hamburgers e.t.c) fairly stressful work as if you are on the deep fry you'd be doing up to 10 orders at once. on the grill you could handling well over 20. it gets more frustrating when you see orders just pile up. we've had people waiting well over 1/2 hour to get their food.

i swear some people came just to watch us get stressed and yell at each other :|

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if you already stated it, but what did you do? Table (Preperation of the food), Grill, Window, etc.? When I worked at my local one last summer, I did table, and I enjoyed it. Learning how to prepare each different menu item was pretty interesting and fun. The environment at my local McDonalds was awful though. The crew room had flies swarming around the spilled drinks, and it was just terrible. Everyone just sat around, not doing their jobs to the extent they should've been doing it to. Anyways, I might try to get a job there again (I quit because school was starting, and I couldn't have it interfere, as it would've been too much for me...I know, call me a baby about it...) in a month or so, since I think I'm ready to have a job during school.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, me, I did table, grill and set up for breakfast in the morning (depending on which shift I worked that day). I would stock the freezer and fridges, handle deliveries, clean the dining room and back room, do the dishes, wash the rags, clean the grills, mop the floors.....pretty much everything except register. I even did some maintenance on occasion.....degrease the drive-thru lanes, change the oil vats, pull out the grills and scrub them down.

I flat out refused to do any register work though. I didn't want to talk to customers at all. When I'm at a job, I want to work, not blah-blah with the general public or take their orders, nor did I want to hear about the register coming up 3 cents short or whatever. The only money I want to handle is my paycheck. Besides, I always figured they should put pretty girls on register, not guys, it causes less arguments with the customers because guys tolerate much less crap than girls do at that position.

To tell the truth, I didn't mind the job so much, it was all the lazy co-workers I got fed up with.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wow damnit. I am from Canada too and was thinking of working at McDonalds as a side job once I am able to get a job. But if it is gonna be like that, I think I might just work at Blockbuster or Dollarama across the street.

Mhm... If you don't mind me asking, are you from the GTA?

ojsinnerz.

Damned
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Splych said:
Wow damnit. I am from Canada too and was thinking of working at McDonalds as a side job once I am able to get a job. But if it is gonna be like that, I think I might just work at Blockbuster or Dollarama across the street.

Mhm... If you don't mind me asking, are you from the GTA?

I live in the Vancouver area. And normally, it's not like that. Most of the time, it's pretty calm, and there aren't that many orders, unless you're working at lunch, where it's going to be full no matter what.

Working at McD's isn't bad at all. The majority of people are nice, schedules are flexible, a number of benefits like scholarship, and they give a decent amount of shifts per person.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
This makes me glad to have a job where I only have to deal with people for a maximum of 20 seconds. I don't deal well with a lot of people so I respect you for that. Its a shame to hear how you get shafted though. Its difficult to make any changes but you can't just quit either. I feel for ya man.

Just a free meal ticket sounds a bit lame for all that hard work you put in though.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Vancouver... That's where my friend used to live then moved into the GTA. Scholarships? Really, what kind of scholarships can you get? And what benefits? I'd love to work there, since well, I will meet a lot of people xDD> Most of my friends eat there, and right now, am too young to get a job... What's the minimum age to work there?

xcalibur, what's your job? Free meal ticket doesn't seem so awesome... I would've expected something like, free food for a week or something.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Splych said:
Vancouver... That's where my friend used to live then moved into the GTA. Scholarships? Really, what kind of scholarships can you get? And what benefits? I'd love to work there, since well, I will meet a lot of people xDD> Most of my friends eat there, and right now, am too young to get a job... What's the minimum age to work there?

xcalibur, what's your job? Free meal ticket doesn't seem so awesome... I would've expected something like, free food for a week or something.

Most people could probably make a McDonalds meal last a week considering how many calories they have.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
xcalibur said:
This makes me glad to have a job where I only have to deal with people for a maximum of 20 seconds. I don't deal well with a lot of people so I respect you for that. Its a shame to hear how you get shafted though. Its difficult to make any changes but you can't just quit either. I feel for ya man.

Just a free meal ticket sounds a bit lame for all that hard work you put in though.

Yeah, I know. I'm just glad to be working afterall.... After ages worth of searching and dropping off resumes, there's no way in hell I'd quit.

And for the work I DID put in, yeah, I agree. But then again, he wasn't even the top manager. All he can do is give me more shifts, really. Like I said, just glad to be working at all.

QUOTE(Splych @ Jul 14 2009, 08:49 AM) Vancouver... That's where my friend used to live then moved into the GTA. Scholarships? Really, what kind of scholarships can you get? And what benefits? I'd love to work there, since well, I will meet a lot of people xDD> Most of my friends eat there, and right now, am too young to get a job... What's the minimum age to work there?

If I've been working there for over a year, with a flexible schedule with over 15 hours of work per week (I believe, it was 15. It's probably less) and currently graduating or graduated, you have a chance of getting a scholarship, or something along the line. I never talked to anyone about it, but that's what it said in this brochure they had.

As for benefits, anything I purchase is 50% off the regular menu, and drinks are free. Of course, there's a limit, so you can't abuse it, but it's nice to have for most people, I guess. I also have what's called a "platinum card", which lets me use the card in any McDs stores in Canada, and get the 50% off. It's not really that big of a deal for me, since I rarely eat at McDs anyway, despite me working there.

Every once in awhile, there's a "competition" for attracting the most customers. The winner gets a free meal and a desert. I've never won yet, lol. I'm always in the middle, so everyone goes to the side ;_;

Lastly, there's a few events that go on. For example, we have this softball meetup with all the other mcdonalds in the city. The last event was this dance. Oh, and they buy you cakes on your birthday.

And for the most part, people are really nice. There just this one girl I hate talking to, but the majority of people are really great to talk to. They'll help you out when you need'em, and you'll be glad they did.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That's pretty awesome. Makes me want to work there. For sure it won't be permanent but the side job, yea that'll be awesome. Do you get to keep the platinum card forever? Will never expire and when you resign can you keep it?

Yay cakes on birthdays xDD. Sounds fun and exciting to work there, even though when you work there, you will have the stench of working there. I either might work there or at my cousin's shop. But the problem with that is that their shop is all the way at another city which is like a half an hour drive. But McDonalds is at walking distance. Mhm... I will ask for a brochure once I get to HighSchool.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That's pretty awesome. Makes me want to work there. For sure it won't be permanent but the side job, yea that'll be awesome. Do you get to keep the platinum card forever? Will never expire and when you resign can you keep it?

Yay cakes on birthdays xDD. Sounds fun and exciting to work there, even though when you work there, you will have the stench of working there. I either might work there or at my cousin's shop. But the problem with that is that their shop is all the way at another city which is like a half an hour drive. But McDonalds is at walking distance. Mhm... I will ask for a brochure once I get to HighSchool.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Splych said:

The card expires after 6 months. Speaking of which, I gotta get mine renewed....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-