Masters thesis: opinions wanted on virtual currency

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by synapz, Jul 29, 2011.

1. synapz
    OP

Newcomer synapz Newbie

United Kingdom
    Hi All,

(Note to moderators: this is a genuine request for help/opinions by a student and gamer - i.e. hopefully not considered spam. However, if I should ask permission, or post in a different area of the forums, please advise and accept my apologies)

I am currently writing my masters thesis about online / social gaming ecosystems, the virtual goods economy and particularly 'offer wall' companies that pay out virtual credits / cash for completing offers.

I have a first draft of a survey and would like to test it out by getting some real opinions from people who frequent virtual worlds or play online/social games that use virtual currency as the main medium of exchange for virtual goods.

If anyone plays these kind of games (e.g. Farmville, Kingdoms of Camelot, Gaia Online, etc.) and could spare 5-10 minutes to fill out my survey, I would really appreciate it.

My survey can be found here!

If you would be willing to discuss any of the topics in the survey in more detail, that would be even better... there's a box at the end where you can leave your contact details for me, or you can reach me at fm10ac1@mail.wbs.ac.uk

Many Thanks
    AndyC

2. Pyrmon

Member Pyrmon Burnin' Monkey Love

Canada
    I took your survey.

3. synapz
    OP

Newcomer synapz Newbie

United Kingdom
    Thanks, Pyrmon!

4. Ace

Member Ace GBATemp's Patrick Bateman

Sweden
    Took 5 mins to do it. I don't have many subscriptions, and I don't really think virtual economies are sustainable (Sims Online, as an example. Also, EVE Online...) over a very long time, like real-world economies.

5. Blood Fetish

Member Blood Fetish Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

United States
    Disagreed. Virtual economies are governed by their creators. They are omniscient and omnipotent.

Also, EVE Online is probably a poor example of longevity as it is over 8 years old, which is quite old as far as MMOs go. The economy is entirely player-driven, and it models real world markets quite a bit.

6. Sora de Eclaune

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    Took the survey. Put in my honest opinion. Hope it helps!

7. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    Survey terminated