1. masterchan777

masterchan777 GBAtemp Fan

peteruk and TheCasualties like this.
  2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Any chance any of this could be made to play nice with codeblocks or something equally nice for the general populace?

"Someone told me that each equation I included in the book would halve the sales."
    Steven Hawking.

Something similar applies here and if you are getting people to mess with their path values you have lost most of them.
    If it has to play with devkitpro that might be a bigger ask, however if we want to get it to the point where people can play with variables of their choosing, or just straight compile, something to click (and maybe paste a make command into) then something easy is going to be necessary.

In general I have seen compiler woes before you even get a hello world has turned off quite a few people from at least C family stuff on many occasions. The dread from first having to fight one has also stopped me from doing things when out in the world as well, or pushed me towards a scripting language.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

yeah video shows me using that. I would check out like the last hour to half hour. Anywho so this is basically a pathing issue I am encountering is that right?

4. TheCasualties

TheCasualties Just trying to be helpful

Netherlands
    Thanks so much for that link masterchan777! I got the nro running on my switch! Now I just need to use nro-asset-editor to put the icon/picture on it. NRO asset editor doesn't seem to work for this. Just use NRO2NSP's forwarder.

@seanp2500, I used that switch build, went through the PC compiling instructions again, but in the switch directory (sm64pc-switch). Skipped the last 1 or 2 steps for compiling the pc version. Then switched to Masterchan's instructions. Not sure i can really help much other than that. Good luck!

Last edited by TheCasualties, May 15, 2020
  5. Smoker1

Smoker1 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Anyone creating a Switch Version - See if you can create a SM64 (2) Version, with a different TitleID, so it can be Installed along side the Normal one. If Needed, I do know where the (2) Version is to be found ;) #Message

6. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

that's actually what i just began doing. So when you say "switch directory" what is name and path to this directory please. Is it msys\sm64pc-master then you are running the pc instructions from there am I right?

ok something weird looks like i was using wrong zip so I think that should do it thanks so much! Will post tut soon methinks!

Last edited May 15, 2020
  7. masterchan777

masterchan777 GBAtemp Fan

Simply edit the Makefile in your switch dir and make the following changes :
    Code:
    Makefile 433: APP_ICON := [path to your icon jpg]
    Makefile 806: @elf2nro $< [email protected] --nacp=$*.nacp --icon=$(APP_ICON)

save, recompile and you're good to go.

TheCasualties and spriteice like this.
  8. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

so the right way to do this for me was dl the zip here:

https://github.com/fgsfdsfgs/sm64pc/tree/switch

then do everything in the pc instructions except for the last 2 steps. Then run master chan command but when you do the build you use mingw64 I show process here:

satelman likes this.
  9. SniperKil

SniperKil Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Honestly a Docker image with the build environment would probably make the most sense. I may look at pulling together a dockerfile tomorrow if work is slow.

10. TheCasualties

Netherlands
    I was having a lot of trouble with getting the APP_ICON path to work (editing makefile), no matter what I set as the path. I tried for about an hour (or more), trying different locations, path formats, etc. And lots of googling with no luck. Kept saying "Failed to open input icon!"

So I just put it into nro2nsp instead. Set the icon that way and now It's got a nice looking icon right on the home screen. Thanks to everyone in this thread. <3

Last edited by TheCasualties, May 15, 2020
  11. spriteice

spriteice Member
    Newcomer

Australia
    I set mine as c:/dev/sm64pc-switch/icon.jpg and it worked

EDIT sorry you are supposed to use backward slashes

APP_ICON := c:\dev\sm64pc-switch\icon.jpg

Last edited by spriteice, May 15, 2020
    8BitWonder and TheCasualties like this.
  12. TheCasualties

Netherlands
    ^^^ Weird, I had that exact same path structure in one of my tests. For some reason I couldn't get it to work. Maybe my jpg was wonky? Hopefully I just messed something up and other people reading this will be able to get it working fine.

And if they can't get it to work, just use nro2nsp.

13. urherenow

urherenow GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I thought I made it clear. If you use git clone, you are cloning everything, every branch, and you are looking at the MASTER branch by default. you MUST be on that branch to build the PC version (following the wiki). In practice, it isn't good to download the .zip file. Many projects (not this one, I guess) use submodules from other places, and you won't be able to build properly without those specific modules, in the specific state they were in, the last time the author compiled his/her project. To ensure this is always the case, you should "git clone --recursive https://github.... "

Then you change to the switch branch by entering the command "git checkout switch".

For those having problems with finding the correct binaries. assuming you have mingw64 and mingw32 installed, and if you can't be bothered to add the /bin folders to your path, like I said to in the steps I provided, then you should enter this, before entering the "source $DEVKITPRO/switchvars.sh" command:

PATH=/path/to/mingw64/bin:/path/to/mingw32/bin:$PATH

with that, you should absolutely NOT have to change anything in the makefile, if you're in the correct branch, and have everything installed that is supposed to be installed.

Last edited by urherenow, May 15, 2020
    spriteice and TheCasualties like this.
  14. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

your instructions were not clear i am sorry. Also this sounds like some voodoo. But let’s say you are right your command instructions to clone the git are still not clear in this post. Reason I say voodoo is I have compared cloned gits to just dl zips in past with other stuff in git hub and never noticed a difference in files. I would be curious to do comparisons. I know i got the latest files doing it this way because black border issue is gone. I would have cloned the git but no one had that step listed correctly in their commands...

15. Neuil49

Neuil49 Newbie
    Newcomer

France
    Thank you for your help, I manage to build the nro (with proper icon) and convert it with nro2nsp.

Just a question, how can i have a profile selection at launch and nand saves?

16. Neuil49

Neuil49 Newbie
    Newcomer

France
    error

Last edited by Neuil49, May 15, 2020
  17. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Never played with Docker so I would probably be in for a learning curve, though it says OS level and they are usually similar enough so eh. If there is an option to do virtualbox that might also be a plan -- Docker does look like a nice wrapper but plenty around here are familiar with virtualbox.
    What I am mainly here to say if you do end up including DKP and it is not going to make it ridiculous in size see about including a clone of the source for that version -- DKP devs seem to be on a bit of tear about having old versions out there (which this would be before long) and I would say abusing the open source license to take things down but I will skip that one for now.

18. SniperKil

SniperKil Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Ok, I have been working on a Dockerfile to build fgsfdsfgs's SM64 switch port and I have a rough version working if anyone is interested in trying it. It currently only works for the us version but should be fairly idiot proof as the hard work in getting the build environment right has already been done.

You need to have Docker installed (just a base install of docker-ce) and a local folder with the .z64 file named baserom.us.z64

The command is
    docker run --rm -v /home/files:/mnt/n64 -e "camera=1" msimm29/sm64switch-build:latest

/home/files is a folder on my local machine that contains baserom.us.z64, you can use Windows path names if running on windows but use forward slashes (example: c:/files) and don't touch the path after the :

camera=1 enables better camera, camera=0 disables better camera. Once the build is done it will copy the .nro file to the directory you mapped with the .z64 file

This is what it looks like when it kicks off
    sm64build.png

The build environment is configured in the image and when you actually run the image is when it pulls the repo and switches to the switch branch so you will always get the newest commits.

The DockerHub link is:
    https://hub.docker.com/r/msimm29/sm64switch-build

And the Dockerfile and shell script lives here. Pull requests are welcome if anyone wants to contribute.
    https://github.com/SK360/sm64switch-build

Conspiracy theorists: There's no malware, no one wants to steal yo stuff.

Future possible enhancements: grab the region from the file name, add the icon

Last edited by SniperKil, May 15, 2020
  19. Smoker1

Smoker1 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Does it matter if the File is Extended (Rom Extender) which was used to apply a Mod? Or is it specific to the Rom Size?

20. 8BitWonder

8BitWonder Small Homebrew Dev

United States
    Not sure how many of you are compiling this on your own, but if anyone's interested here's an icon I used for it.
    (Thanks @masterchan777 for letting us know what to change in the makefile for icons)

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Mario,