Marcan Clarifies

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Rydian, May 6, 2013.

1. Rydian
    OP

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Marcan, reknowned Wii and Wii U hacker, has posted logs to clarify many of the rumors going around, and also to give his thoughts on recent developments and 'the scene' in general. It includes commentary from people such as neimod and tueidj and covers a variety of subjects currently being discussed (with minimal censoring), so it's worth a read for anybody who's curious what's going on.

This post contains a majority of the important viewpoints and statements, organized by subject matter. In order to see the original context and questions, please follow the "Full IRC Log" link at the bottom of this post.

Status of Wii U hacks.

Opinions about dumpers and other devs.

Vague Exploit Info

Wii U Hardware Info

Thoughts On Other Platforms

[​IMG] Forum Post
    [​IMG] Full IRC Log

2. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    thats right, nothing but pirates here :tpi:

3. dalc789

dalc789 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 23, 2007
    United States
    He knows us so well.

4. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Nothing but dirty pirates...nope....just uh....pirates, yeah, that's the ticket. Announcing a potentially working Wii U hack they won't release even if hell freezes over isn't a douche thing to do, nope, not in the least.

Well, of course! Lumping all people together and branding them as pirates due to the actions of a few people is always a good thing to do right? It works for racial profiling, right??

Riyaz, back25, jalaneme and 2 others like this.
  5. rizzod

rizzod Not a New Member

Jul 30, 2008
    "oh look at me I have the info and you don't. blah blah blah". god I hate selfish devs.

mrnintendo15, Riyaz, tbgtbg and 5 others like this.
  6. Janthran

Janthran Solarian

Sep 17, 2011
    United States
    The Pacific Northwet
    You obviously misunderstand the relationship between hackers and GBAtemp because for the most part people here are just idiot leeches who know nothing of what they're doing.
    Me included.

Black-Ice, Riyaz, _acid_ and 8 others like this.
  7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Pretty sure that he worked hard to get it and if he's unwilling to release it, fearing the spread of warez then hey -- he's entitled to, it's the fruits of his work. Sure, we may not like that, but nothing stops us from trying to get the same info ourselves (except for the glaring lack of knowledge or experience on the subject :ninja:).

In any case, what's depressing in what he says is that nobody seems to be interested in the WiiU, not even for Homebrew purposes, which is weird considering how successful the Wii's Homebrew Scene was.

This is true in 99% of cases. GBATemp started off as a ROM distribution site and despite the fact that that part of the site's history is already in the past, the general mentality of its users is still backup-oriented whether we like it or not.

Riyaz, gamefan5, Scuba156 and 2 others like this.
  8. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

9. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    A whole lot of white hat hackers don't have the "betterment of the world of Homebrew" agenda - they hack for sport and as such, it comes to them naturally that they announce their successes among the crowd which plays the same sport. They didn't exactly log on GBATemp and make a USN thread; they spoke about it among themselves and answered questions.

Riyaz, gamefan5, megazig and 2 others like this.
  10. Rydian
    OP

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    • Crown3DS
      • Possibility of a product that might come out that might allow you to play 3DS ROMs.
      • Nothing substantial actually exists.
      • Pages: 86.

• Terraria Trainer
      • 'Homebrew' tool to cheat at a game.
      • Actual release, download included.
      • Pages: <1
    Yes GBATemp, "we care about more than piracy", right, keep saying that until you believe it!

You're a prime example of the problem.

Shut. The Fuck. Up.

NEP, Riyaz, gamefan5 and 8 others like this.
  11. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Elaborate, exemplify. Could you be so kind as to tell me what Hector Marcan said is so good about the clarification? Why is this good news to the hacking scene?

back25 likes this.
  12. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    "<@marcan> heck, other than random twittards, I've heard basically no noise/pestering for us to release stuff"

https://twitter.com/fail0verflow

Who could these "twitards" he mentioned be ;)

+1

13. Rydian
    OP

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    I've given you this kind of talk before, but seeing how quickly you keep on going back to your old ways each time I guess I should try to clarify again.

You are what's known as a 'leech'. You go around using other people's free work and then bitch for more. The word 'leech' is used specifically because it has a negative connotation (a reference to a classification of organisms that suck blood while giving nothing back to the host). You pester devs, constantly bring up old shit, argue with them about things they don't care about, pressure them to do things they don't want to do, and then if they don't act according to the way you want them to, you go around publicly insulting them.

Now, you don't need to actually be a homebrew dev to not be considered a leech. You could try looking at user users and see what they do to contribute. As some examples...
    Or at the very least, you could just pop a "thanks", use their work, and not go around badmouthing them.

One reason many people here seem to loathe your presence in a thread is that your bad behavior pushes devs away (*cough* retroarch *cough*). GBATemp doesn't need yet MORE reasons to be looked at as a bundle of leechers.

NEP, Kippykip, Black-Ice and 10 others like this.
  14. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Well, at least you're being honest. I'm not going to get upset or dwell on this conversation as that would be counterproductive. What am I going to do? I don't know, but I do admit it, I am a leech and I have a nasty habit of bitching more than a Twilight Mom when they found out that Edward and Bella broke up in real life, but at least you pointed it out. Why should I get upset? I have a lot of things I need to work on, I won't deny it, and this is one of them. I keep telling myself I won't do it, I won't do it, but I regress like douche and start over once again; lather rinse repeat. That right there explains my notoriety.

I admit I was wrong, and the devs do indeed need as much support as possible. Who knows, maybe something good will come of it, but only time will tell.

But it is what it is I guess. If people want to hate and despise me for my social ineptitude, so be it.

Scuba156 likes this.
  15. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    You're also comparing what was potentially the first flashcart for the 3DS, a system that to this day remains unhacked, versus cheats for a computer game.

Let's compare 2014 cars to flat pack furniture from IKEA while we're at it to see if this website really cares more about cars than interior design.

16. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It's hard to find more appropriate examples though - you'd have to find a flashcart that does only homebrew and compare it to a flashcart that does both homebrew and backups.

OWAIT, iPLA-- nevermind, iPlayer is dead. :ph34r:

NEP, Riyaz, gamefan5 and 2 others like this.
  17. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States

Is it dead because of GBATemp though, or is it possibly the fact that most people who are looking for a flashcart are looking for one with the intent of pirating games on it, not just someone who wants to play music or homebrew only.

If we're gonna throw random threads around, here's 97 pages of people discussing what they've accomplished in gaming - http://gbatemp.net/threads/what-did-you-accomplish-in-gaming-today.332113/

Edit - here we go, 132 pages on a mod for Pokemon, perfectly able to be used on a legal dump of ones own game - http://gbatemp.net/threads/pokémon-blaze-black-pokémon-volt-white.286850/

18. Rydian
    OP

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Yeah, Foxi nailed it (as usual). The iPlayer is the homebrew-only flash cart, and it failed so hard that most GBATemp members never even heard of it.

And...
    http://gbatemp.net/forums/homebrew-bounty-entries.180/
    GBATemp Homebrew Bounty.

GBA Emulator: 94 Pages
    PadSend: 2 Pages
    World Heroes Supreme Justice Extra: 1 Page
    etc.
    The only other thing that comes close is DS2x86, another emulator.

gamefan5 likes this.
  19. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I deserved the reprimand, suffice to say
    [​IMG]

20. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States

You can emulate legal dumps last I checked, no? Emulation does not directly lead to piracy. I know it's usually the case but it's more than possible to dump and run your own backups only.