Hacking Hardware Homebrew Mandatory Game Disc Updates in 2024-onward

PlasmoBoy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently got a physical copy of Batman: Arkham City: Armored Edition so that I could free up space on my Wii U's USB storage. Arkham City is a very large game when installed digitally, taking up 18GB of storage! When booting up the disc, it gives me this message:

"An update is required to start this software."
"Updates can be downloaded by connecting the Wii U console to the internet."

I can best assume that what my console wants is a Day 1 update that makes the game disc playable, but because the Wii U eShop is discontinued, the update required to make this disc functional is no longer available through conventional means. I thought I could find this Day 1 patch on NUSspli or some other website that provides Wii U digital content, but all I found instead was just the full digital game. In my search, I could never find just the updates for Arkham City – as if the Wii U port never got a single update since its launch!

Eventually, I found a thread that I thought had the same problem as mine. He bought Arkham City physically, and had the same error as I did. It was narrowed down to conflicting tickets, so I deleted the pirated Arkham City ticket from my system, and still I get the same message. So, I think it might be a server-side issue.

If it can happen with my physical copy of Arkham City, then there is a high likelihood that other Wii U games cannot be played physically without an update, which means new physical games cannot even be used. If I bring attention to this problem now, then maybe one of us will find a workaround to this problem.

Attachments

• 20240625_162826.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 2
  • Sad
Reactions: Blythe93

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you actually checked the eshop for updates? because I'm pretty sure game updates are the one thing that are supposed to still be available (alongside redownloads for previously purchased content)

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you are not the only one. When i was fixing my friends wii u to use the sd card for the system nand, i noticed that games require updates now. I know for a fact that they did not before because my friend played those games back in the day fine before he even setup an internet connection. I remember hyrule warriors requiring one but that was the only one. before his nand went bad in 2018, he never had to update games to play it. With that last update 5.5.4, 5.5.5 and 5.5.6, must have done something. i feel its really stupid when those games did not require one before. Why now?

PlasmoBoy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you actually checked the eshop for updates? because I'm pretty sure game updates are the one thing that are supposed to still be available (alongside redownloads for previously purchased content)
It's a good thing that you brought it up, because I had misremembered until now that the Wii U & 3DS eShops were straight-up closed entirely. But you still can redownload old software you already acquired before the close-off!

The problem I'm seeing right now is that it's  only software you already downloaded before the closure. The eShop's last news even states that even new free software cannot be downloaded; only the stuff you already own. I checked Arkham City's eShop page, and I'm not finding any buttons that allow me to download anything.
Post automatically merged:

you are not the only one. When i was fixing my friends wii u to use the sd card for the system nand, i noticed that games require updates now. I know for a fact that they did not before because my friend played those games back in the day fine before he even setup an internet connection. I remember hyrule warriors requiring one but that was the only one. before his nand went bad in 2018, he never had to update games to play it. With that last update 5.5.4, 5.5.5 and 5.5.6, must have done something. i feel its really stupid when those games did not require one before. Why now?
Oh, that just feels petty for some weird reason! If Pretendo ain't the solution to this, then I won't for the life of me know what will! I really don't wanna admit that I wasted my money on a useless disc. :cry:

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is USBHelper still functioning? If so, you should be able to grab the update files you need through there and then install it to your Wii U via WUP Installer GX2

Reactions: zfreeman

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a good thing that you brought it up, because I had misremembered until now that the Wii U & 3DS eShops were straight-up closed entirely. But you still can redownload old software you already acquired before the close-off!

The problem I'm seeing right now is that it's  only software you already downloaded before the closure. The eShop's last news even states that even new free software cannot be downloaded; only the stuff you already own. I checked Arkham City's eShop page, and I'm not finding any buttons that allow me to download anything.
I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but updates aren't software as far as Nintendo is concerned

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/57847/~/wii-u-&-nintendo-3ds-eshop-discontinuation-q&a#s1q5

the disc update isn't going to show up in the store, if it's not letting you download it from the prompt then something else than Nintendo is blocking the download from happening and we should focus on that

PlasmoBoy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the disc update isn't going to show up in the store, if it's not letting you download it from the prompt then something else than Nintendo is blocking the download from happening and we should focus on that
I know CFW has software that blocks automatic system updates to protect the console from bricking. You don't think it could be that, could it?

Edit: meanwhile, I'm trying to move to Aroma, and the latest EnvironmentLoader doesn't work with my stuff, so that's neat. I've been using the oldest version this whole time. Surely, nothing will go wrong if I boot Aroma with 0.1 EnvironmentLoader, right...?

Last edited by PlasmoBoy,

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it is the latest, just wanted to make sure the error wasnt actually complaining about needing a newer firmware version lol

is it still the same message when connected to the internet, with only "Back" and no option to proceed?

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Is USBHelper still functioning? If so, you should be able to grab the update files you need through there and then install it to your Wii U via WUP Installer GX2
From what I can see, there's no update available on NUS for that game.

1719525689065.png

EDIT: Nothing shows up in USB Helper either. And yeah, it's somewhat functioning, still. ^^

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eventually, I found a thread that I thought had the same problem as mine. He bought Arkham City physically, and had the same error as I did. It was narrowed down to conflicting tickets, so I deleted the pirated Arkham City ticket from my system, and still I get the same message. So, I think it might be a server-side issue.
did that solve the problem for them, actually? or were they still stuck

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you have anything important on that wii u right now?

unfortunately as I dont own that game, or any disc game for that matter, I cant try anything on my own to see what might fix it so it's hard to really come up with definitive solutions

but I would be interested in knowing how it behaves on a fresh factory reset system, without a memory of a past digital install

PlasmoBoy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm really not comfortable factory resetting my Wii U. I have way too much history & stuff on it to back up just to test a theory. If you're so curious to trace my steps, then I implore you to get the cheapest game disc you can off eBay. My Arkham City I bought was less than $10.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have both wii U batman game discs. I have never popped them into my wii U yet because i have not got around to playing them yet. My video game backlog is the size of California.
I can pop them in and see if it asks for an update if you like.

PlasmoBoy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That'd be great! Thanks!

I also own Arkham Origins; it was my first-ever Wii U game I owned. I could delete everything but my save data, and see if my disc will update for Origins, but if that fails, then I just threw a perfectly good game of mine away, and I don't have an adequate enough PC yet to just play it on a PC.
Post automatically merged:

are you connected to pretendo? if you are then reconnect to NINTENDO and try to install the update?
Well, after a few days, I finally installed Aroma, linked my Pretendo, and......

Nothing...
I'm still met with the same error.

Guys, I think I'm just stuck with a useless disc. If the update data isn't somewhere out there (and I KNOW it's a thing because my Arkham Origins update data is only a few megabytes), then I simply cannot play this game with a disc.

Unless a miracle comes up, I am more or less defeated. I have until late July to refund my disc, so maybe I'll hold out hope a little longer.

Last edited by PlasmoBoy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Hi