ROM Hack Managed to modify default GBC Banner, but not 100% - need help...

noctis90210

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I managed to modify default GBC Banner
BUT THERES A LITTLE ANNOYING PROBLEM, SEE AT THE BOTTOF OF THE PAGE (with screenshot)
HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP US TO MAKE IT PERFECT

CREDIT to @Asia81 - for cia decryption tutorial
CREDIT to @Apache Thunder - for guiding me about xtracting/rebuilding banner files
CREDIT to @Reisyukaku for ohana3ds
CREDIT to bigbluebox for pokemon crystal.3ds
CREDIT to creator of 3DS explorer,bannertool,bannermaker & 3DS-To-CIA-Converter
CREDIT to @Riku for photoshop template

Things that needed:
-original GBC/GB VC CIA - as base for extracting the dafault image banner
- [i used Pokemon Puzzle Challenge VC]
-3ds xplorer
-Ohana3Ds - used for extrcting/injecting png files to 3d banner
- [dont use the rebirth version, use the one from rei]
-PhotoShop/GIMP - editing png to retain transparency & changing the text title
-Photoshop text title templete - uso to edit text title template
-bannertool - for making the main banner
-bannermaker - for making the icon & txt for longtitle/shortitle/publisher
-bannersound.cwav - default "ting" sound upon opening gbc vc
- [thanks to @Apache Thunder for extracting it]
- [if u want other sound, i cant help u cuz i dont know how]
-3DS-To-CIA-Converter-GBC - for injecting gbc rom, banner, icon
-BigBlueBoxPokemonCrystalVC.3ds -as a shell for creating a new cia

heres what i did:
1. extract the CIA (use the tutorial by @Asia81 )
2. once you have the banner.bin rename it banner.bnr
3. open 3dsxplorer and drag the banner.bnr file
4. right click on cgfx file and extract it, a banner.bnr.cgfx file will be the product
5. open ohana3ds, go to texture and click open and fin the banner.bnr.cgfx file
6. choose the image you want to edit and export it as png
7. edit png using gimp or photoshop, use "photoshop title text template" to modify the title on banner
8. once youve finish editing, import the image back to ohana3ds and click save, you have now a modified banner.bnr.cgfx
9. we need to convert the cgfx file to bin file again, prepare also your cwav file, were going to use bannertool with this command:
Code:
bannertool makebanner -ci NameOfYourCGFXFile.cgfx -ca NameOfYourCWAVAudioFile.cwav -o banner.bin
10. save banner.bin on safe place
11. once you have the banner.bin again. open bannermaker to create the icon and text (just google on how to use bannermaker)
12. bannermaker will produce banner.bnr and icon.icn... ignore the banner.bnr cuz we already have the baanner.bin using bannertool on step 9, just save icon.icn on the safe place (jsut like step 10)
13. rename icon.icn to icon.bin
14. use the "3DS-To-CIA-Converter-GBC" choose 3 then 5 to decrypt BigBlueBoxPokemonCrystalVC.3ds
15. it will ask you if you want to inject a new rom---choose yes and enter the filename, dont press enter yet
16. on the decrypted folder and files, look for exefs folder, replace the banner.bin and icon.bin there from the one you created
17. go back to "3DS-To-CIA-Converter-GBC" to continue creating cia.
18. install the cia...
19. tadaaaa!!! a new banner like the one from original nintendo VC...

BUT WAIT HEREs A LITTLE ANNOYING PROBLEM!!!
when the 3ds hear a noise on the mic, the violet gbc banner starts to rotate... when it is on front view, everything is ok, but when it rotates specially when the object [the violet gbc] facing the sides, the old png picture is still there, but ohana doesnt see (maybe) the png on side view, or maybe theres something that needed to be changed on lighting using a 3rd party 3d image utility... i dont know how to edit it... so can anyone help us?

heres the screen shot:
2yl7m7c.jpg

Last edited by noctis90210,

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have the same problem when the banner do a rotate...
BTW, how do you edit the text on the rectangular box from an official banner oO ?

I can't even find it, just the gbc textures ...

noctis90210

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
its also a png file, its on step 6 of the tutorial, export png then inject png once youve done editing... i just downloaded a photoshop template made by @Riku, just type the title you want then export it as png on photoshop then import in ohana3ds...
going to add the link for templete... :-)

Last edited by noctis90210,

Gericom

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This might be caused by mipmaps. (smaller versions of the same texture) You have to make sure you replace them aswell.

noctis90210

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
This might be caused by mipmaps. (smaller versions of the same texture) You have to make sure you replace them aswell.

but ohana3ds cant detect it, how can i extract it on cgfx file... once i edited the mipmaps, how can i make a cgfx file again?
im still a noob regarding 3d textures, hope u can help me? thanks...

badger_vm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, i was doing the same in a NES game, but the second banner with the letters doesn't appear in ohana, when i try to change common2 (which I think its the second banner image) it says to me that the PNG has to be the same size and it doesnt let me to change it, any help?

badger_vm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I already have a template, but I dont know wich image I have to change, the first image is the screen texture, the second is a white square, the third is the NES texture, the fourth is a black square (this should be from the tv) and the fifth its another texture of the NES.

And then, When I try to change the second texture it says me that the images need to have the same dimension so now i am stuck with that banner.

As an extra, in everyfileexplorer i can see the textures too but I cant edit them so :/

Aurora Wright

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi, i was doing the same in a NES game, but the second banner with the letters doesn't appear in ohana, when i try to change common2 (which I think its the second banner image) it says to me that the PNG has to be the same size and it doesnt let me to change it, any help?
Sorry if I bump this thread, I managed this with a NES banner, but it's considerably harder. You have to extract one of the language specific cgfx from the banner.bin using an hex editor, then uncompress it with lzx, then replace the title image with Ohana, then recompress it, replace the COMMON1 textures on the main cgfx with ohana, compress it as well, and then manually recreate a CBMD this way: header - compressed main cgfx - compressed title image cgfx - bcwav. Then fix the offsets in the CBMD banner (I pointed all the language-specific CGFX offsets to the same one) and the BCWAV offset. A nuisance:P

Reactions: noctis90210

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/9seCZUSS8zE?si=xMNkLYWrWl6kDH44