Hacking Man I am confused

brasscorpion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay guys...I am so sorry for this post. I know you guys get pissed at noob questions. I have read every NOOB sticky up top and I can't decifer any of it.

Everything talks about loaders and cIOS, Homebrew, wingator and for lack of a better word STUFF. All I want to know is how do you play Backups when you crack your case open and install a MODCHIP. Why can't you just install the chip...back the game up and throw it in the Wii drive.

Maybe my issue is that I don't understand what an ISO backup is. Isn't a iso dump a straight 1-1 backup of the disk? I guess not becuase why would I need the MODCHIP right?

Can someone direct me to the process of getting my box up and running just to play backups using a MODCHIP. Hasn't anyone wrote that process down in a 1. 2. 3. bulleted format? I am not concerned about running homebrew stuff, movies or MP3's.

I plan on backing up the games using a LAN (just like using WiFi) or buying one of the 816X LG dvd writers.

Once I make the backup. I just can't burn the image onto a DV-R and pop it in?

Brass

bugaveli

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can either install the modchip and then burn the games like you said, or do the softmod and save themoney, that is up to you, but youll have to keep up with that modchips firmware for newer games.
TYes an iso dump is a 1.1 backup, anything else has been wii scrubbed or had the update removed whatever.

the modchip you buy will come with instructions you can probly find a howto on youtube or something.

if you get a modchip you can burn a game using imgburn and pop it in

brasscorpion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow...such a fast response. Great, you can probably tell I was really getting frustrated. I mean this forum really needs a sticky that is this simple especially when using a MODCHIP.

The new DRIVEKEY chips just coming out where you just plug them in is SO easy.

Also I don't understand why people would even bother with all this region free stuff. I mean do you know how easy it is to get the DISC from your own country/region. I can see if you wanted to get a hold of a game released only in Japan...so I guess it has its use. Has anyone ever heard of Gamestop or RENTALS.

ANyway now I am ranting...sorry.

Okay so to keep up with the firmware where I need a jTAG thing AND the new Drivekeys have DVD upgrade capability. Am I right?

Thank you again!

Brass

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
brasscorpion said:
Okay guys...I am so sorry for this post. I know you guys get pissed at noob questions. I have read every NOOB sticky up top and I can't decifer any of it.

[...]

It's only a few people who get pissed on noob questions. I am one of them, but usually i only get pissed when people don't turn their brain on and summarize like this "game xy works only in black&white" to "game doesn't work", so please don't be intimidated to ask questions.

QUOTE(brasscorpion @ Mar 6 2009, 07:01 AM) [...]
Also I don't understand why people would even bother with all this region free stuff. I mean do you know how easy it is to get the DISC from your own country/region. I can see if you wanted to get a hold of a game released only in Japan...so I guess it has its use. Has anyone ever heard of Gamestop or RENTALS.
[...]

Well some games are only released EVER in PAL or NTSC and not both. If you don't have a hdtv you get color issues with most import games if you are either a NTSC user or a PAL user and you use a not-crap-videocable(RGB) to play your games.

About your topic:
Take a look at flatmii, it looks fairly easy to install and use to me. I think you don't need too much explanation for this, as it (like most hardmods) just works. If you don't like your pc being required for playing wii games, wait for an external HDD flatcable device. That's what i would call the definite hardmodding solution, and when it gets released, there will be lots of guides written for it.

Lakerfanalways

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ordered a few weeks ago the D2Pro mod Chip(It will be arriving soon) once installed, do I still have to use brick blocker or would I just have to pop in the game and I am good go go? I am currently on firmware 3.4U soft modded

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You only need brickblocker if you
1. want to play all your games in the disc channel
AND
2. you don't have starfall or preloader installed with disc update blocking
AND
3. you want/need to avoid certain updates either just the latest version or updates from import games

So if you accept to play some games via a loader OR have starfall or preloader installed OR you only play games from your region and you don't care about the latest update, you don't need brickblocker.

david432111

Trophies
XP
Country
Lakerfanalways said:
I ordered a few weeks ago the D2Pro mod Chip(It will be arriving soon) once installed, do I still have to use brick blocker or would I just have to pop in the game and I am good go go? I am currently on firmware 3.4U soft modded
I'm pretty sure that feature that an update blocker is built in, but you have to configure it.
Go here and download the image under "dvd downloads", burn it and load it.
If it doesn't have that feature just follow wiipower's instructions.

paul3100

Trophies
XP
Country
Softmod all the way by the way!!!

Seriously i softmodded my wii last week and its really really easy to do and no having to take your wii to bits'!..

Look at it this way, softmodding gives you the ability to play " backups " (all region) wad files (ie) virtual consol & wii ware games + all homebrew wii & GC , able to customize menu and a whole lot more and the big plus is you can always remove everything and have an original wii without trace of ever been modded.

Chipping the wii on the other hand is a pain considering you have to take it apart, usually (but not always) solder some wires and then update regular (usually), to keep up with new games.

Buy zelda (or rent/borrow)and an sd card (if u don't have 1) and download softmii (google it), 30 minutes later a fully hacked wii able to play all backups and virtual consol/wiiware game wads :-)

paul

PS: took me 3 days to get my head around it lol but thats only cause i am thick!! :-)

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
A good modchip has still 2 big advantages, ALL games work and they run at full speed. And you don't need the latest nintendo updates to play the latest games with a modchip. Starfall and preloader with disc update blocker and installing some wads when a game doesn't work. Which IOS wad to install a certain game to work is very easy to figure out: Get to know which IOS you have installed(AnyTitleDeleter, just for looking) and then install all IOS from the disc(extract on your Wii with wufe) which aren't already on your Wii.

PS: Softmodding more easy then installing softmii, just install the cIOS and then run Gamma or SoftChip from the HBC.
PPS: There are NO known bricks from people getting backups to work with this method

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
WiiPower said:
A good modchip has still 2 big advantages, ALL games work and they run at full speed. And you don't need the latest nintendo updates to play the latest games with a modchip. Starfall and preloader with disc update blocker and installing some wads when a game doesn't work. Which IOS wad to install a certain game to work is very easy to figure out: Get to know which IOS you have installed(AnyTitleDeleter, just for looking) and then install all IOS from the disc(extract on your Wii with wufe) which aren't already on your Wii.

PS: Softmodding more easy then installing softmii, just install the cIOS and then run Gamma or SoftChip from the HBC.
PPS: There are NO known bricks from people getting backups to work with this method
i fully agree with you, but i have a little addition. the new solderless drivechips, which plug-in between the flat cable and the board, only support 3x read speed. those chips are flatmii, wasabi-zero, drivekey, etc..

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I don't think flatmii is limited to 3x speed, but i know the flatcable modchip that reads DVD-Rs with the Wii drive is. The limitation comes from the chip changing all reading commands to dvd reading commands without the Wii knowing it. Basicially that modchip does the same as the softmods do, just in hardware.

PS: The 3x limit always comes from the drive that slows down when in dvd video disc mode, flatmii doesn't need a drive so it simly can't have that limit

Lakerfanalways

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question, I currently have a soft modded Wii(USA firmware 3.4) I had ordered my Mod Chip weeks ago but it was backordered til now, got an email saying it will be arriving next week..its the D2Pro mod chip..my question is, if I put in the mod chip, will that conflict in anyway with the soft mod that I have now..once I have the mod chip installed, I can play the games through the disc channel and I dont have to use brick blocker anymore? I have been reading people are having issues with MLB 2k9 and Sonic and the Black knight, it doesn't work with this firmware and that firmware and getting error 002..once I have the mod chip installed, I assume I don't have to worry about any of that stuff right? I don't know if they are having issues because they are running a lower firmware or what, but just wondering. Thanks

El Rey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I currently have a drivekey mod chip with v3.2u. I just backuped sonic and the black knight. I am unable to run the backup through the mod chip. I have to use wii gator's backup loader with error002 fix to run it. I don't understand why....maybe it is the cIOSrev10 and 9 that I installed to run my usb loaders for my external hardrive.

By the way I have about 20 backups running to drivekey and sonic is my only problem.

Shinigami Kiba

Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
If Sonic and the Black Knight doesn't work then Madworld shouldn't work either since both are "001" games.
Make sure you have IOS53, 55 and I think 38 installed, after that the games should work fine.

Now back on topic, having a modchip is fine if you have the money to spend on one, however softmodding is the way to go.

- You can play all WiiWare games with a sofmod
- You can play Wii games from any USB Device, meaning a large enough flash drive or an external USB Hard Drive
- SNES, NES and Genesis ROMs run flawlessly from an SD Card, this eliminates the need for shitty, space wasting pre-N64 Virtual Console games
- You know what you have installed in your system, Nintendo or modchip makers don't get to install stuff behind your back, everything you install you install yourself manually and it's as easy as hitting a button 4 times, literally.

Now, I understand it's all a hell of a lot confusing for ya, I was the same way, in fact there's still a ton I don't know, but this is basically all you need to know.

- IOS - drivers for the Wii, games need drivers to work, that's what Nintendo installs for you except they also install drivers with fixed/patched exploits and you don't get to choose what you want installed in your system but everything from Nintendo's installer goes. This is why you softmod and install drivers yourself, if you can unrar a file in windows you can install an IOS on the Wii.

- You do NOT uninstall IOS's, you can but if you do you run the risk of messing something up.

- cIOS, a custom IOS, for the most part you only need cIOS36-rev10, meaning a custom/hacked IOS36 and the hack is version/revision 10. Some people also call this cIOS249 because it installs to the 249th cluster in the Wii memory, from what I understand the proper way to refer to this custom/hacked driver/IOS is cIOS36-rev(whatever current version the hack is at)

- mIOS - the stuff the wii uses to run GameCube games

- DOL, executable files for the Homebrew Channel a dol file = .exe
- elf......I guess old .exes dunno, they don't matter anymore it seems

- WAD - equivalent to a .deb file in Ubuntu, an install package that installs stuff to your system memory, or think of it as self extracting rar/zip that extracts itself where needed without you having to do anything about it.

Omgwtfisthat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have sotmodded my Wii. I'm good when it comes to following intructions (I think) and it took me minutes to get HBC on my Wii. I then proceeded to install Gamma and have now modded my Wii more extensively so that it's pretty much like it has a chip inside of it. I recommend softmodding if you are confident in your ability to follow instructions...... if not you will duffer the deadly consequences
ohmy.gif
!

greevedogg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That was a pretty good sum up there, shini
grog.gif

Wish I had read that when I was a confused noob! I am still hoping for a way to play MKA with the USB loader, tho
cry.gif

Seriously, guys, why is everyone still hard-modding when the possiblility of playing games straight from a hard drive is now a reality?

Cuz all you need to do:
1) twilight hack your wii
2) install homebrew
3) install cios36rev11
4) pick a USB loader of your choice
5) get a compatible HDD
6) load games either from WBFS manager from PC or from wii itself

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: I have a number of geriatric relatives.