Homebrew Mame2003+ Compatibility list

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello :)
Someone knows with which core Cotton is playable?
I ve tried Fba core but it is slow with sound issue
Ciao!:) I see that in Core A there's an included driver for Cotton, but only for the rom called "cottong.zip".
Also, make sure to use the rom from the Mame 2003 plus romset. Fba and the various Mame versions, all use different romsets.
Rom sharing is forbidden here, but if you google for "mame 2003 plus romset" it will be very easy to find.

BadPeach

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ciao Tetsuo! Thanks for your reply :)
I've tried cottong but is another game called Cotocoto Cottong, instead I want to play to Cotton (the witch game, shoot em up)

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ciao Tetsuo! Thanks for your reply :)
I've tried cottong but is another game called Cotocoto Cottong, instead I want to play to Cotton (the witch game, shoot em up)
uh oh... sorry, sorry my bad. It's in Core D (cotton.zip, cottona.zip).
I see that it's missing from the Compatibility List, so it seems no one has tested it yet.
If it's not running from Core D (or if you have bad peformances), try also with Core D2, to see which one works better.
When you are done, please post here your results, so I will update the Compatibility List.

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You find the link in the OP. When you extract the archive "MAME2003-WII-0.4" you will find the D2 core it in the Alt_dols folder.
It's called "mame2003-plus_coreD_libretro_wii.dol".

mode11

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for all the great info on MAME2003, Tetsuo and others. The compatibility spreadsheet is really helpful. One thing I was wondering is what's the best version of RA to be using with the MAME2003 A-H cores?

I started recently with the latest (1.8.6), but switched to 1.7.6, as I believe this is what the cores were designed for? With 1.8.6 I found that RA wasn't letting me run ROMs with the above cores (it would always suggest other ones).

Reactions: Tetsuo Shima

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@mode11 That's a good question. You have to believe me, I have no clue! Retroarch on Wii is such a mess to test. I also tried to mix 1.8.2 with the Mame cores and got an issue like yours with the suggested cores.
Everytime I try to mix plugins from different versions, strange things happen. Editing the dols to use separate configurations files (as per Wiimpathy's tutorial) helps a lot, but I still cannot have a full working setup. As I fix someting up, another one breaks.
Using it as Wiiflow plugin seems to help too. At least for me. I just boot the game and it starts with the proper core, but if config files are conflicting, it's another story.

Reactions: RunningSnakes

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have same issues mixing core versions also. I think I settled on 181 for the most part. I'll post what I have and maybe we could compare with one another.
Thanks Runningsnakes! That would be very appreciated.:)
It would be a good start for this dirty work. My biggest problem is I can't even remember the exact nightly build that I'm using. I know only it's 1.8.2
In my setup, the "messed up" cores are only a few (but I'm not using every core). Virtual Boy blackscreens every game, Lynx has issues saving the video settings. I also tried to duplicate the Lynx dol, to use one for horizontal and one for vertical games. I edited the dols to save on different configs, but it's not working.
Wonderswan have issues with the video settings. Snes9x cannot run Yoshi Island at decent speed. I remember it running much better in RA 1.0.0.2
FDS is working but I can't turn the disk, so it's totally useless.
I only tested a few of the new cores. Dosbox does not work, but Cannonball and Game&Watch are wonderful. If it weren't for these two I guess I would go back to a much older version.
Who knows, maybe I could try to keep what works and just focus on replacing the non working plugins from different builds.

mode11

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm focussing on MAME / FBA with my Wii. I've got a PC with LaunchBox etc. that can handle all the latest stuff, but I've got the Wii connected up to a CRT to play 16-bit classics like Final Fight and Robocop in 240p. Compatibility is a little patchy, but it doesn't need to run everything - most of my favourites are OK.

I'm using the 0.78 romset, using Wiimpathy's batch file to split everything into folders for the different 2003 and FBA cores. I've found compatibility broadly in line with the spreadsheet. After Burner II ran but was choppy. Toki runs fine but the music is slow. Outrun didn't run; Cannonball just black screened when I tried to start the ROM with that. Pac-Land wouldn't open. Neo Geo stuff that I tried all seems to work (though I'm into scrolling shooters rather than beat 'em ups); I think Cyberlip was the only one that didn't. As mentioned above, I'm using RA 0.7.6. I doubt newer versions are adding much for the Wii at this point?

Am I correct in thinking that for FBA 2012 on the Wii, the correct ROMs to use are the 0.78 ones? There's been the odd FBA ROM that didn't work (can't remember which off the top of my head).

SoulSpawn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi @mode11 Toki should work perfectly with Wiimpathy's core G (one of my favourite games). Outrun runs very well on the core D alt_dol (try this core for after burner too to see if it improves).

mode11

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@SoulSpawn thanks, I'll give it a go. The alt dols in the download have the same names as the regular ones for some reason. Can you just add a '2' to the name (e.g. coreA2) and drop them into the RA folder alongside the regular ones?

mode11

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just been playing Toki with core G! Thanks for that - the music's great, so was a shame to miss out on that before. Outrun and After Burner also work 100% with the alt core too.

I take it you just ignore the boot.dol in the alt folder, and don't copy that across?

Only problem with the 2003 cores is that they default to the analogue stick on my Classic Controller (a Hori Gamecube-style one). Looking in the core's Controls, it looks like the D-pad (rather than the analogue stick) is correctly mapped to up / down etc., but the config screen is a bit confusing.

Last edited by mode11,

SoulSpawn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I take it you just ignore the boot.dol in the alt folder, and don't copy that across
weel, actually I launch them from wiiflow, not homebrew channel, but yes you can ignore boot dol and get with the version of Retroarch you like. I'm around 1.7.6 since last versions gave me code dumps when trying to change controls.

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I took a look at what i have installed for RA. I don't think i have tested anything after 1.8.2, so it's possible the 3 cores that i have trouble with 1.8.1 are working better in newer versions. Everything seems to be working well, although i have not tested extensively, but directory paths & video/input settings are saving for me. I have modified all cores using Wiimpathys instructions also.

FCEUMM - RA 1.8.0 (I think its a nighty build, but not positive v.???) (No Problems)
Atari Lynx - RA 1.8.2 (12-29-19) (Code Dump Occasionally & No Vertical Switch)
mGBA - RA 1.8.2 (12-29-19) (No Problems)

I'm using 1.8.1 Stable for everything else listed below...

FBA, CPS1, CPS2, NEO, Atari 2600, Game&Watch, Neo Geo Pocket, Gambatte, Nestopia, Snes9x 2010, PCE Beetle Fast, Mednafen SGFX, Sega Gens Plus, WonderSwan.

Last edited by RunningSnakes,

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I took a look at what i have installed for RA. I don't think i have tested anything after 1.8.2, so it's possible the 3 cores that i have trouble with 1.8.1 are working better in newer versions. Everything seems to be working well, although i have not tested extensively, but directory paths & video/input settings are saving for me. I have modified all cores using Wiimpathys instructions also.

FCEUMM - RA 1.8.0 (I think its a nighty build, but not positive v.???) (No Problems)
Atari Lynx - RA 1.8.2 (12-29-19) (Code Dump Occasionally & No Vertical Switch)
mGBA - RA 1.8.2 (12-29-19) (No Problems)

I'm using 1.8.1 Stable for everything else listed below...

FBA, CPS1, CPS2, NEO, Atari 2600, Game&Watch, Neo Geo Pocket, Gambatte, Nestopia, Snes9x 2010, PCE Beetle Fast, Mednafen SGFX, Sega Gens Plus, WonderSwan.
Hey Runnigsnakes, thanks!!!
Call to arms!:gun:

Last edited by Tetsuo Shima,

mode11

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@JuanMena Thanks for the info. SoulSpawn let me know that Toki works fine with Core G as well. I found that Pac-Land works with Core A2. Robocop runs with Core D I believe - I've certainly been playing it. Like yourself, I use FBA's CPS1 core for Final Fight. Which RA version are you using?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Wish I could use that for video editing lol