1. Tetsuo Shima

OP Tetsuo Shima GBAtemp Maniac

Italy
    Be warned!! This Quest will not be an easy one and there's a damn evil red dragon called 'Retroarch', at the end of the dungeon!!!

Ok, let's get serious! Since the Abz's Masterpiece Pack, we really lack an updated and complete plugins pack for Wiiflow.
    Add to this the infernal Retroarch situation, and we get a real deal-breaker for a lot of people trying to squeeze the most out from this awesome loader.

Here is a pack with all my personal files, all the plugins that I've used or added, during these past years.
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/iayhfru8ai6hs4f/plugins.rar/file

This is not a release!
    This pack is not meant to be used yet. Don't complain if something doesn't work. I already know it.
    I'm sharing it here only for people who wish to help me in this quest AND that are already experienced wiiflow users.
    So newbs, please stay away for now. You can use it if you want, but I won't offer any kind of support until this work is complete, for a greater good!

It's not a comprehensive pack, and there are little issues with some plugins.
    But it's the best working setup I could come up with, and surely it can be a good starting point for everyone.

Retroarch version used: 1.8.2 (2020/01/04-nightly), mixed with Wiimpathy's Mame2003plus from 1.7.6
    I've hex-edited some (not all) of the plugins, to save separate configs.
    All the MAME2003plus .dol's and alt dol's
    cannonball_libretro_wii.dol
    fbalpha2012_cps1_libretro_wii.dol
    fbalpha2012_cps2_libretro_wii.dol
    fbalpha2012_cps3_libretro_wii.dol
    fbalpha2012_libretro_wii.dol
    fbalpha2012_neogeo_libretro_wii.dol
    fceumm_libretro_wii.dol
    gambatte_libretro_wii.dol
    genesis_plus_gx_libretro_wii_gg.dol
    genesis_plus_gx_libretro_wii_md.dol
    genesis_plus_gx_libretro_wii_ms.dol
    genesis_plus_gx_libretro_wii_sg.dol
    gw_libretro_wii.dol
    mednafen_lynx_hor_wii.dol
    mednafen_lynx_ver_wii.dol
    mednafen_ngp_libretro_wii.dol
    mednafen_pce_fast_libretro_wii.dol
    mednafen_supergrafx_libretro_wii.dol
    mednafen_vb_libretro_wii.dol
    mednafen_wswan_libretro_wii.dol
    mgba_libretro_wii.dol
    prboom_libretro_wii.dol
    snes9x_libretro_wii.dol

Issues:
    - Virtual Boy blackscreens every game.
    - I tried to duplicate the Lynx dol, to use one for horizontal and one for vertical games. I edited the dols to save on different configs, but it seems they aren't actually separated.
    - Wonderswan have similar issues of Lynx. I didn't duplicated the dol, but if I rotate the screen, aspect ratio will be wrong.
    - Snes9x cannot run Yoshi 's Island at decent speed. And I can't accept that in 2020!! I think we can discard it totally and use SNES9x RX (not yet added to the pack).
    - FDS is working but I can't turn the disks, so it's totally useless.
    - I never tried some of the emus, like all the atari home consoles, PCFX, PC98, TRS-80, COCO, Satellaview and some more.
    - some dol's like Retroarch's Dosbox never worked for me. I think we should remove them, to clean things up a bit. Totally useless in their actual state.

Proposed working method:
    Testing is the only way. To quickly test my pack in your source menu, you can use the ini files from my Rhapsodii Shima theme (link in my sign). Make a back up of your files first!
    We could try to replace the non working cores with dols from other versions (hex edit cfg).

OR

Version 1.7.8 could have been a better starting point than 1.8.2, as Wiimpathy pointed out (no real new features after 1.7.8).
    But I had not the time to do it, yet. Is someone already using that version? Please share your results.
    The buildbot is still there : http://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/1.7.8/nintendo/wii/
    To split up the workload, we could test different cores each, from the same version
    Maybe testing first the latest stable with the main cores, nes/snes/megadrive(hex edit cfg).
    - Starting from WiiFlow ok?
    - Savestates?
    - Changing video options?
    - Saving/loading cfg?
    If ok, the mame2003 and neogeo cores may need testing again, since they use an older retroarch.

I'm open to other suggestions!

So, are you brave enough to begin this adventure with me? Sharpen your Vorpal swords, prepare your spellbooks and let's go kick this dragon's ass!!!:angry:

Last edited by Tetsuo Shima, Apr 27, 2020
  2. RunningSnakes

RunningSnakes GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Ill do a little testing tonight. Just wanted to point out, I highly recommend Virtual Boy & Atari Lynx using WiiMednafen 0.2pre. Virtual Boy is full speed without any major problems & Lynx has Vertical/Horizontal auto detect. Colecovision (0.3),, Atari 7800 (0.5) have newer stand-alone emulator updates that work as WFL plugins without any modification and Atari 2600 (07-13-13) works great. Im going to focus on SNES, WonderSwan, Neo Geo Pocket, Game Boy Advance first. Ill post results. Thanks

Edit:
    Note that I'm using USB exclusively for all tests.

Neo Geo Pocket RA1.8.2 (code dump 3 consecutive times when launching random game) RA 1.8.1 is working without problems as far as I can tell...tested 6-8 games.

Game Boy Advance mGBA RA 1.8.2 (WFL reboots when trying to launch random GBA game.) (In fact, I have never had any RA version successfully launch a game through WFL.) Also, the official mGBA stand-alone stopped working as WFL plugin as of version 0.6.1 using USB. It is very possible they are working through SD. I am using Enhanced mGBA (01-29-20) and it is easily the only GBA emulator I would recommend, as a plugin or stand-alone.

WonderSwan RA 1.8.2 does work but I get random code dumps. The settings did save for me as well but RA 1.8.1 is more stable as settings are saved and I launched 8-10 random games without any problems.

Using your 1.8.2 cores of...
    FCEUmm
    Gambatte
    Sega (All)
    PCE Fast
    PCE SGFX

Everything worked fine, I will be using these 1.8.2 cores, although they were all working fine before.

If you'd like, I can upload the working .dols and cfg.ini files for trouble and missing emulators for others to test & use?

The 1.8.2 SNES emulator it seems is working fine, but I am not familiar with SMW2, so my testing of that game is really insignificant. Super Metroid, Ken Griffey Baseball, Donkey Kong Country 2 all seem fine & I've had many hours on those 3 games. The RA 1.8.1 Snes9x 2010 I was using is unstable and looking for a stable replacement. I think I'll try the 1.7.8 2010 version & report back tomorrow most likely.

Last edited by RunningSnakes, Apr 27, 2020
    alexander1970 and Tetsuo Shima like this.
  3. Tetsuo Shima

Italy
    Thanks @RunningSnakes that's really what I needed!
    Where can I find WiiMednafen 0.2pre?
    I'm using a mixed setup, wiifow on SD, games on USB (except for Mame2003plus, which seems to work better on SD).
    I just removed the rompartition=1 from all my ini's before sharing them, to let everyone decide what to use.
    Sure, please send them, that would be very appreciated!:)
    So my mGBA is not working for you? It's working great for me, performance are great. It was not working on any other 1.8.2 nightly build that I tested, but with the 2020/01/04-nightly I was successful.
    What I really love about the RA plugins is the ability to use scanlines overlay. Using scanlinesgrid.png for handhelds emulation is really really nice! I don't know if the standalone has it too, but it's a feature that I would not want to miss:)

alexander1970 and RunningSnakes like this.
  4. MrSW

MrSW GBAtemp Regular

Brunei
    I personally use emGBA for all GB/GBC/GBA related things, works great for me. It lets you use borders, automatically sets to the perfect resolution, runs everything at fullspeed, and allows for filters among other things.

If changing disks in FDS is an issue, then you might try FCEUGX. Unfortunately FDS saving is unemulated there, so you would have to resort to savestates.

WiiMednafen (non RA) works amazing for NES/FDS and a number of other systems (like WonderSwan or Lynx), to the point I prefer it over the respective RA cores, but the lastest official release (0.2-pre) doesn't work as a WiiFlow plugin. Raz0red was working on an update, so we just might hope he releases it soon.

Tetsuo Shima and RunningSnakes like this.
  5. RunningSnakes

United States
    Here are what i have if anyone is interested in testing and/or using. Going to get after the SNES core tonight, ill keep you posted.

Attached Files:

Tetsuo Shima and alexander1970 like this.
  6. fledge68

fledge68 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    here is the wiiflow 5 plugin pack i was working on.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/4ol455mlovv2fal/fledge68_plugins_pack.zip/file

But I had things to do for wiiflow itself plus the covid 19 stay at home orders and other things have caused me to have to pause on it.
    i was keeping it in the style of mastermod but the wiiflow/plugins folder i was trying to organize things in subfolders. a lot of the plugins are the updated ones by wiimpathy and the latest gx releases. and a lot of the folders contain readme's to explain what version it is and where i got it and how to use it.

you can make your plugin pack how you want - i'm just providing this as an example and maybe it will be helpful to you.

on a side note i do have fever and chills today. I'm hoping its just a virus or flu and not covid 19.

xLAKITUx, Hakaisha, KiiWii and 5 others like this.
  7. RunningSnakes

United States
    Thanks @fledge68

Hope you start feeling better, take care.

Tetsuo Shima and alexander1970 like this.
  8. Tetsuo Shima

Italy
    @fledge68 I'm really sad to hear this, my friend. It happened to me too, when this thing arrived here in Italy, 2 months ago. I was a little afraid and no doctor wanted to visit me. I was lucky it wasn't covid19.
    Monitor your breath ability always and don't hesitate to call for medical assistance if it's not good.
    Take care and have some rest

Last edited by Tetsuo Shima, Apr 28, 2020
    RunningSnakes and alexander1970 like this.
  9. RunningSnakes

United States
    I've decided to start at 1.8.5 stable and work down if there are problem cores. I'm also testing SNES latest only, no 2010, 2005, 2002 core tests, as the latest is based on Snes9x 1.6.0 improvements. Quickly I have ruled out 1.7.8 & 1.8.2 Snes9x cores since both code dump Tengai Makyou Zero very early in game. RA 1.8.5 played with no problems over 20 minutes. I then tested several other SNES 1.8.5 with FPS enabled, including SMW2 and I'm not seeing any frame drops. So I am happy with SNES RA 1.8.5 (for now) as the best solution for this console. I am going to test major consoles NES, SEGA, TG16, then try my luck with handhelds.

alexander1970 and Tetsuo Shima like this.
  10. Tetsuo Shima

Italy
    Thanks @RunningSnakes you're really helping a lot!
    I really love the folder structure of @fledge68 's plugin pack. I think that's the way we all should follow for a final pack!
    Really polished and less confusing, very user friendly. Thank you so much!

RunningSnakes and alexander1970 like this.
  11. fledge68

United States
    yes i'm watching my breathing. practicing deep breaths which usually make me cough. I have a tummy ache and a headache as well. the good news is i took a cool shower and a couple Tylenol and went to bed last night. slept pretty good and this morning my temperature is normal. but headache and tummy ache still there. i'm calling my doctor later.

Thanks, i was going for a organized look to make it easier to understand what files and folders go with each plugin.
    I was going to make a readme to explain what all the root folders are for and why you need the folders in apps even though they have no boot.dol.
    also, i had decided to stick with retroarch v1.7.6. after v1.7.6 there really isn't any major improvements for the wii. all the updates are for other devices. plus v1.7.6 is what wiimpathy used for his mame2003+ cores.

12. Wiimpathy

Wiimpathy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

France
    I would say around 1.7.8 and above. Because usb controllers are fixed and Wiimotes as pointer is possible.
    Well, this last feature may be buggy and not as easy to configure as in other emulators. But motion controls are also the essence of the Wii right?
    It could render some computers ports usable since there's no usb mouse/keyboard in Retroarch.

The pack is very well organized @fledge68 . Any specific reason for rompartition=-1?
    Anyway, I hope you get well soon. Take care.

I'd really like to have a final answer and other's opinions. I've read several times the performance was worst in the latest retroarch Snes. Whereas at first, it was supposed to be better than the Snes9x GX.
    Same thing was said about Genesis Plus GX core by the way.

@niuus and others, is it really slower in Retroarch now? And which core are you comparing, snes9x2010?

13. fledge68

United States
    rompartition=-1 isn't a must. but i put it in there in case the user wants to specify i partition different than the diffault plugins partition. for example the default is set to SD but for snes9xgx for some reason you put your games on usb so you would set rompartition=1
    -1 default, 0 =sd, 1=usb1 2=usb2 etc

14. biggzsizzle

biggzsizzle GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Following for preservation! Lol @fledge68 prayers for you my man!

alexander1970 likes this.
  15. niuus

niuus GBAtemp Maniac

Venezuela
    USB is a must for arcade cores, haha. I don't know if other people use them for 8bit / 16bit console gaming, but at this point i certainly can't live without it for all CPS cores, MAME and Neo Geo. The only downside is that you can only play with 1 player even if my adapter has 2 PSX ports, though i don't know if 2 USB adapters would be recognized.

I'll download 1.8.5 and check if it really runs 100%. I tend to always go and test 2002 first since mainline Snes9x is just too demanding for the Wii.

In the case of GenesisPlus GX, i have never found a reason to play it on Retroarch, since the standalone works completely perfect and looks awesome. Only tested RA version a couple of times way too many years ago, circa 1.0.0.2 probably.

Last edited by niuus, Apr 28, 2020
  16. niuus

niuus GBAtemp Maniac

Venezuela
    Okey, so these were my results 1.8.5 stable:

They all drop frames on the heavy games, tested with Star Fox and Super Mario World 2, the worst of all was Snes9x Current, and the fastest was 2010, which got closer to 60 fps most of the time, but crashed twice for me after some seconds in the game, don't know if it was random. 2002 did not load any game (just a black screen). I used this scene on the very first level:

Snes9x 2010 @57-60fps, some audio hiccups.
    [​IMG]

Snes9x RX @59-60fps, no audio hiccups.
    [​IMG]

SuperFX performance on 2010 was very good, since they use the speedhacks i would love to port to RX to finally get 100% speed on the Wii.

17. RunningSnakes

United States
    Yes @niuus , I just tested Star Fox & there are huge drops. I played through SMW2 first two levels last night with no drops, but today drops in opening scene and throughout entire 1st level. Very strange and the speeds are unacceptable. Ill most likely go back to RX as WFL SNES plugin solution since RA SNES is a bottled mess.

18. niuus

niuus GBAtemp Maniac

Venezuela
    I forgot to mention that the SMW2 intro is another good speed benchmark, along with the cave/background waterfalls scene on 1-1.

Savestates creation is kinda slow. I also checked video options, found out that if you disable bilinear filtering, you will have shimmering on horizontal scrolling, which was not negotiable for me. :lol:

A bottled mess indeed.

19. Tetsuo Shima

Italy
    For me, with snes9x "regular" on 1.8.2, frame rate drops to 46 FPS in Yoshi's Island intro.
    I tried to increase the SuperFX overclocking from 150% or 200% but performance is always poor.

BadPeach likes this.
  20. Tetsuo Shima

Italy
    I have a Namco arcade stick for PSX. Really good quality stick and microswitches. I'm using it with an USB adapter like yours, with 2 psx ports. I'm using it on the PC and on the C64Maxi and I love it! I tried it on the Wii long ago and it never got recognized.
    Do you say I can now use it on newer Retroarch Wii? :ninja:
    Sorry for this little off topic.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - adventurers, Plugins™, Wiiflow