• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Major Ransomware attack worldwide at the moment.

image.jpeg

looks like the world is being attacked by a very serious Ransomware virus.

so far UK, US, China, Russia, Spain and many more data's being hold to Ransom. its called WannaCry. and affects windows computers.

The infections seem to be deployed via a worm - a program that spreads by itself between computers.

Most other malicious programmes rely on humans to spread by tricking them into clicking on an attachment harbouring the attack code.

By contrast, once WannaCry is inside an organisation it will hunt down vulnerable machines and infect them too.

Some experts say the attack may have been built to exploit a weakness in Microsoft systems that had been identified by the NSA and given the name EternalBlue.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39901382

Last edited by Chary,

hobbledehoy899

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Meh i don't use any kind of computers or integrated circuits and i connect to gbatemp with my wizza powa
nah seriously one more reason i'm on linux
This video convinced me to stay away from Windows on all my PCs starting with the one I'm currently on

I've been on Linux Mint 18.x longer than I've been on Windows 10.

Alkéryn

Moon Dweller ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
This video convinced me to stay away from Windows on all my PCs starting with the one I'm currently on

I've been on Linux Mint 18.x longer than I've been on Windows 10.

I hate windows but i have to say it isn't windows's fault on this one
As soon as you give admin right to a program you let it do whatever it want
you could do a similar thing on linux

As we say, the biggest security flaw in a system is the user

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
dont use windows.

People will attack the OS that the majority use. If everyone stopped using windows then the problem would just move.
Not that everyone will move away from windows, apple are too expensive and falling off the *ix usability cliff hurts too much.

The difference is that sudo requires a password.

So does windows if you configure it right.

Open a terminal and run this:

sudo rm -rf /

Oh dear you must now stop running Linux too.

Last edited by smf,

hobbledehoy899

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
and password or not, it is definitely the user fault to give admid rights to DefinitelyNotSuspect.exe
Most people just click through that shit (and I'm sure as fuck glad my mother doesn't do that.)
So does windows if you configure it right.
That's not the default action and non-technical types hate having to seemingly configure anything.

Alkéryn

Moon Dweller ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Most people just click through that shit (and I'm sure as fuck glad my mother doesn't do that.)
Yeah but my point is that if they would do it on windows they would do it in linux
i already helped users willing to put in their terminal whatever command i gave them
i could have send them a malicious script, make them execute it and gain full control of their pc

i'm just saying stupidity isn't a windows only issue

Last edited by Alkéryn,

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Why would anyone want to? As it stands, there's no reason to be on XP aside from being stubborn and adamantly using outdated programs.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Even though it's not practical for a fairly decent chunk of computer owners. Unless you have to specifically have it or can live with its short comings... Linux isn't worth it. There, I said it. Fight me.
I was talking about CLI, not specifically Linux in the first place. Either way, I'm perfectly happy with Linux. If you aren't, whatever floats your boat.

Sent from my cave of despair where I stalk @Seriel

Alkéryn

Moon Dweller ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I was talking about CLI, not specifically Linux in the first place. Either way, I'm perfectly happy with Linux. If you aren't, whatever floats your boat.

Sent from my cave of despair where I stalk @Seriel
"Linux isn't worth it" lol
as a dev i can't count the time i gain working on linux
Plus i'm only using cli + a wm so not using the mouse make me gain a lot of time xD
I code in the terminal
i listen music from the terminal
i even browse my filesystem using using the terminal
and i think ncurse program are more efficient than gui

The only gui program i have are chrome and discord and maybe KVM photoshop xD

Last edited by Alkéryn,

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Most people just click through that shit (and I'm sure as fuck glad my mother doesn't do that.)That's not the default action and non-technical types hate having to seemingly configure anything.
Users clicking through that shit would not change on Linux, they'd just enter their password and proceed to click through that shit.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
"Linux isn't worth it" lol
as a dev i can't count the time i gain working on linux
Plus i'm only using cli + a wm so not using the mouse make me gain a lot of time xD
I code in the terminal
i listen music from the terminal
i even browse my filesystem using using the terminal
and i think curse program are more efficient than gui
Same. Before I switched to a Linux-based OS as my main OS, every time I needed to do anything related to programming, compiling, etc. I'd run into a shitton of issues. Then I said, fuck Windows, and here I am. That, and my laptop doesn't heat up like crazy like it does on Windows.

Sent from my cave of despair where I stalk Seriel

hobbledehoy899

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Users clicking through that shit would not change on Linux, they'd just enter their password and proceed to click through that shit.
Still, it requires more thought and might make people ask "do I really want to enter my password for this?".

Alkéryn

Moon Dweller ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Same. Before I switched to a Linux-based OS as my main OS, every time I needed to do anything related to programming, compiling, etc. I'd run into a shitton of issues. Then I said, fuck Windows, and here I am. That, and my laptop doesn't heat up like crazy like it does on Windows.

Sent from my cave of despair where I stalk Seriel
Being a dev, using linux, and stalking @Seriel , that's three things we got in common ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Still, it requires more thought and might make people ask "do I really want to enter my password for this?".
You can make a script that don't need sudo (so don't need a password) and then use a kernel security flaw to gain admin rights
so even without admin right you shouldn't run everything you cross on the internet xD

Kourin

Touhou Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Might have missed it in the article - know it's a worm but how exactly was it spread/start? Was it just another legit-looking email that people clicked or was it more complex than that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Mondooooo, there was a power outage while you were sleeping?