cornaljoe

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
LOL, no I'm not that loaded! I plan on using Bill Me Later on my purchase. But that is still way over my limit. Thanks, I'll look into the suggestions.

Raisingod

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
OK joining the debate in a fashionably delay I must say few things in favor and against the Dell:

Favor:
Cheap(money wise)
Good construction ( if the dells I've seen in the last year or so are of an indication

Against:
not OCing that well (mobo design is still not top notch)
Dell screen aren't as good as the one of other manufactures due to panel ( it will be less vivaed but of course most users wouldn't notice since they didn't have a proper LCD screen)

For those Your own built System will be better then the Dell one sayers:
it depends on who build the system. While you could get a better mobo without the proper knowledge on how to jumper it right and config your BIOS there is no way you will be able to OC that computer one bit.

in short: build your own PC only if you know what you are doing and know the specific tweaks of the mobo you are going to use

camx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I would save a few bucks by parting together stuff that will net me a big OC thats close to much higher priced merchandise. A midrange or even budget C2D will perform right up there with the more expensive models. This system i built recently for a friend proves that if you want to hit an easy 3-3.2ghz on air you can hardly justify spending anything more;

Video, Perfect UT3 Eye Candy:
8800GT

Memory, run 1:1 and EASY CL4 4-4-15 timings
OCZ DDR2-800 2x2gb

CPU, easy stock cooling 3ghz
E4500

Get a cnps9500 or better cooler and bump the vcore on the chip up one or two increments and your looking at 3.2ghz

For example, i have the allendale E4400 (130$ when i bought it) 2mbCache CPU in my HTPC. Using slightly better ram (corsair XMS PC-8500), P5B-VM motherboard, power-on 24.7 at 3.2ghz, on my current dfi lanparty board, i got that little bugger to 3.5ghz orthos stable... tell me thats not an awesome return on such a minimal investment..

If your going extreme and absolutely MUST drop a lot of money on a cpu, theres absolutely NO reason to get anything other than a hand picked E8400 from tankguys, who should be getting more in soon.... so they say. And if you even want a quad core to come close to performing like a decent C2D then again, i'd go with tankguys hand picked G0 or B3 stepping Q6600- but by the time at laeast half of the software you use can actually take advantage of 4 cores, how great is it going to be ? 289 bucks isnt a HUGE investment.

robi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I too would like to add my 2 cents in.

I've built many computers over the years and one thing to definitely make sure not to skimp on is your power supply. That's basically the computer's heart, instead of pumping blood, it's converting 110/220 AC to DC. I've encountered Rosewill stuff before, decent company but I don't recommend their power supplies. Quick way to gauge a PSU's worth is it's weight... heavier the better. Rosewill/Powmax/Raidmax/Coolmax are all pretty light.

But anyway, last few computers I've built I used a Thermaltake PSU and they have never let me down. Most importantly is to make sure you check the reviews for the product on NewEgg to get some insight to the product. Antec is a kinda no frills solution but seem good enough. I've also heard good things from OCZ (great RAM company too) and PC Power and Cooling. Zalman's great if you're looking to build a quiet PC.

* By the way, cheap PSUs tend to not stabilize the internal system voltages well, which can really wreck havoc on your components (thus lessening their life), and make a computer with the latest and greatest components a unstable mess.

SomeGuyGG

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
http://www.ncixus.com/products/27328/88YFF...y%20Technology/

8800GT for $165 after rebate. You can shave some money off by getting that.

Also since you don't plan on overclocking right away, why bother getting a new heatsint/fan? Just stick with the stock one, it will be good enough.

Get rid of the DVD-ROM, or at least replace it with another burner for $10 more.

cornaljoe

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well this is what I came up with after all the advice: Newegg Wishlist. The price is about the same so this is probably a dream system to me. Does everything look fine now? It'll probably take me a long time to save up for this monster. Will it be worth it to use Bill Me Later and pay it off in 6-12 months?

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
offtopic84 said:
Doubtful. In 12 months, the 9800GT will be that price.
And 12 months from that the 10800GT will be that price.

QUOTEIt'll probably take me a long time to save up for this monster. Will it be worth it to use Bill Me Later and pay it off in 6-12 months?
Personally, I think you should still go for the Dell at half the price, but if not that setup looks fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-