Major PC Upgrade

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by cornaljoe, Mar 6, 2008.

Mar 6, 2008

Major PC Upgrade by cornaljoe at 6:46 AM (3,790 Views / 0 Likes) 49 replies

1. cornaljoe
    OP

Member cornaljoe GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Ok, I'm running a 5 year old system: Athlon XP 2700 1.25GB RAM GeForce FX 5600XT and want to upgrade. I want to go with a Intel Core 2 + GeForce 8800 as my ground for a advanced gaming PC. My limit will probably be ~1k and I want to get everything from Newegg.com. I’ve been out of the PC hardware thing for awhile so tips/changes/suggestions are welcome.

2. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    5 years old?

Buy a new damn PC [​IMG]

Like seriously.

3. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    I'm fairly sure by "upgrade" he meant replace it with a superior system.

Anyways, go here:
    http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/con...&lid=197374

Go into customization: upgrade to 22" panel for 40USD; upgrade to dual optical drives for 10USD.

Buy 8800GT from newegg.

Install 8800GT.

Be happy.

4. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    I just upgraded my old computer (probably about 5 years old too) with a completely new motherboard a Gainward 8800GT, 2GB DDR2 RAM and an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6Ghz.

It runs like a dream.

5. bluebright

Member bluebright GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    are you building it your self? If you do you can save quite a bit of money and it'll run better then whatever dell can give you.

6. cornaljoe
    OP

United States
    Yeah, I want to build it myself. That actually makes the PC special to me. Not of much importance but I'll rather build than buy. Hmm... a Dell... not really for me, but I guess if the hardware is worth it. I'll look into it.

7. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Wrong on both accounts. I suggest you do some research so next time you post you don't come off sounding like a fool.

8. jalapeno

Member jalapeno GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    i dont see how he is wrong?

here in australia, you can save 20%-30% if you build the computer yourself.
    and you can actually research the parts that goes into it, and choose the cheapeast supplier

9. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    This is America son.

I dare you to show me a configuration that exceeds, or even matches the Dell I posted for less money.

If you can't backup your statements, then don't bother posting.

10. TaMs

Member TaMs Randomizer

Finland
    Even if that's true, it won't be fun to just buy computer from store, when you could built it by yourself.
    Also what jalaneme said applies to finland also.

11. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Of course. Theres a certain "specialness" some people feel from using a system built with their own hands. I'm not arguing that point.

Personally, I couldn't care less about that. I'll go with best price per performance every time.

If you want to build it yourself, then feel free to ignore my advice. However, that doesn't change the fact that the option I posted will provide the much better price per performance than anything you do decide to build.

12. cornaljoe
    OP

United States
    Yeah, the Dell is def worth it! The screen and CPU by itself is ~500USD. How much can be upgraded if needed? Any drawbacks to getting a Dell I should know about?

LOL, this is funny because I convinced myself to never get a Dell no matter how much of a deal it seemed. But you have me questioning myself ATM.

13. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Dell gained a reputation back in the 90's/early '00s for making crap/subpar systems; but in recent years they've really stepped it up and offer great value. I've got a couple Vostros myself and have yet to experience any issues with them.

The graphics card you'll definitely want to upgrade. Order whichever one you choose from newegg, then simply swap it out for the included 8300GS (very low-end card).

Everything except the mobo and PSU can be upgraded with standard parts. Luckily, specialized Dell PSUs aren't particularly expensive.

14. jalapeno

Australia
    system quickly priced.

(2.40GHz,8MB L2Cache,1066FSB) - $200 ----> who needs a quad core, waste of money
    Dell 20 inch Widescreen E207WFP Analog Flat Panel Display - $250
    2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz - 2DIMMs - $50 --> generic?
    Single Drive: 16X (DVD+/-RW) Burner Drive - $30 --- brand name?
    160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™ -$50 --- brand name?
    128MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8300GS - $30? --- onboard probably enough.

+mobo/case? $100 --- why isnt the motherboard even named, probably outdated.

ok, so $700AUD which is less than $600US

priced using brand-named parts.

i dont get why you'd want to pay for crummy generic parts and administrator costs rather than just buying better value hardware..

15. bluebright

Australia
    I'd one up that list except I could get you an 8800gt g-b for $272aud and an actual mother board (lol because you didn't list one), G-B EP35-DS3 for $129aud (i assume your listed CPU is intel too)...and make that DVD drive an 20x LG sata for $30aud.

But yeah, I not quite sure where Urza is coming from, I have no idea how they do it in america. In Aus we have a huge market for PC hardware and overclocking enthusiasts, and you can get all those parts that jalapeno listed at exactly that price, and if you know where to look, even cheaper.

My day job is a computer technician, and most of us in our industry regard 'custom' built PC's as being far superior to anything pre-fabricated. But, that's not to say Dell is horrible or anything, after all they use the same parts we do. It's just there markup is a little steep, and there marketed towards more of a mainstream demographic.

Oh, and jalapeno, I'm picking up a Western Digital 500gb for $129 t/m, which will be sweet because now I can...um...back things up.

16. jalapeno

Australia
    yeah, that wasnt the system i would of chosen, its the one Urza meantioned.

If i were cornal i'd get,

e8400 (3.0ghz) - $250
    Gigabyte p35 - ds3l - good cheap mobo - $100 about
    2gb kingston ddr2 800mhz ram - $55
    500gb samsung - $110 is the cheapest ive found

btw blueblight, i see you're in brisbane also

where abouts do u get your parts?

17. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Are we making baseless claims now? How fun!

For your information, Dell and Comcast have formed a partnership so that Dell can coat all their parts with the "secret fast formula", making their parts 86% faster than the competition.

Example of this in work good sir.

In all seriousness though, the only viable conclusion I can come to is that you have no idea what you're talking about. Also, it appears the deal is now dead, so the argument is moot anyways.

18. cornaljoe
    OP

United States
    Man, that sucks I missed that deal. Well any other suggestions?

19. bluebright

Australia

MSY, of course. Here's there price list: http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

The tech shop that I work at can't match there prices because they get all there gear TAX FREE. There insane. I have no idea how they make a living. MSY is run by asians, so they must have scary connections or something.

And Urza seems to be getting really serious about this. Is everything alright Urza? You know we're supposed to be helping out cornaljoe right?

20. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Part of helping someone out on a forum is filtering out the nonsense; showing them what is and isn't fact.