Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sterling said:
I'd be willing to bet that Guild makes the Magic topic.

You suck.

But yeah, general Magic the Gathering discussion thread! Discuss recent and upcoming sets (currently, the upcoming New Phyrexia set), older sets, specific cards, the tournament scene, or deck building help. Hell, even reminisce (lol) about your fondest MtG memories.

I'll copy Sterling's layout a bit.

Thanks to Urza for linking me to this great website for deck presentation. Go here, enter your deck info, and post the link if you wish to share your deck.

So me as a Magic the Gathering player...

I guess you can call me a "casual" player since I don't do many tournaments or drafts, but I love the game. I spend a lot of time playing with friends though. I wouldn't call myself bad at the game at all (I'm probably the second best out of my friends), I'm just not willing to spend $100 on a single Jace TMS (although I have gotten 2 boxes in since Christmas). I prefer buying packs over buying individual cards because I enjoy the challenge of deck building with the cards you're given compared to just buying all the decks (although I'll be willing to buy some older cards for older theme decks). My favorite card is Ixidor, Reality Sculptor (the only card I've ever bought).
[/p]

On that note of Ixidor, I've been looking into building a solid Morph deck, since it was one of my favorite abilities back in the day and my old Morph deck sucked (its since been dismantled). It'll definitely be Red/Blue (Skirk Alarmist + Dermoplasm combo), maybe with Green (mainly for Krosan Colossus or even Krosan Skyscraper). Tri-color seems a bit risky but multicolored lands/pain lands shouldn't make it an issue. I know pretty much all the Onslaught block cards I'd want/need but I'm not all too familiar with the Morph creatures in Time Spiral (or if they're worth it). Any suggestions?

Have fun!

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I heard about M:tG when it first came out. Had to sneak around and buy my cards because my mother was pretty overzealous at the time and thought anything referring to "magic" was the work of the DEVIL-EVIL-VIL-VIL-IL-L!. (No, I'm not joking at all.)

But that was the only excitement I ever really got from the game.

/tangent

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
His format was stupid.

Should have just bumped one of the previous MTG topics.

The last real general MtG topic I found was from Bonemonkey in '08. It's just better to have an up-to-date one with an editable original post.

If you want to improve the formatting, please do.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I used to play with my friend Ben about ten years ago, but never got the hang of the mana system. I always forgot to untap everything and normally ended up killing myself. I enjoyed the game and I've always been a fan of the artwork on the cards, they're always great looking.

I recently started up again. My friend Kevin and I normally meet in town for games of Warhammer 40K but the cards are less costly, require significantly less setup, the games don't take all damn day and it's not such a mission to haul them into town. A much better idea in the long run. Added bonus, my deck only cost me £2.50. I had £7.50 on my GAME reward card after buying my 3DS so I used it on my deck. I got the Mirrodin Besieged starter deck with the Victory's Herald holographic card. I might go buy some more cards later too as I've gained more points on my reward card and there's no games I want.

Loving the removal of the mana burn thing. I'm not constantly killing myself any more.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blaze163 said:
I used to play with my friend Ben about ten years ago, but never got the hang of the mana system. I always forgot to untap everything and normally ended up killing myself. I enjoyed the game and I've always been a fan of the artwork on the cards, they're always great looking.

I recently started up again. My friend Kevin and I normally meet in town for games of Warhammer 40K but the cards are less costly, require significantly less setup, the games don't take all damn day and it's not such a mission to haul them into town. A much better idea in the long run. Added bonus, my deck only cost me £2.50. I had £7.50 on my GAME reward card after buying my 3DS so I used it on my deck. I got the Mirrodin Besieged starter deck with the Victory's Herald holographic card. I might go buy some more cards later too as I've gained more points on my reward card and there's no games I want.

Loving the removal of the mana burn thing. I'm not constantly killing myself any more.

I'd suggest buying more cards. Even if you don't want to spend hundreds of dollars, just spending like $4 every paycheck on a pack goes a long way. I only had the money to buy boxes (36 packs, or roughly 540 cards in total) recently, but my cards before then were all from packs or from prebuilt decks I got. I easily had a couple thousand cards before then (the two boxes I bought adding an additional 1,000).

And Mana Burn was a dumb rule, it was pretty much useless anyway. It hardly did anything in the long run (although my friend told me he had a friend that somehow used Mana Burn to bounce back damage to the opponent for any instant win). If you played casually when the rule was still around though you could just not use it. I don't think I did.

My friend's a big Warhammer 40k fan and I recently got him into Magic somewhat recently. Now all my friends and I usually meet once a week to hang out and often times play Magic. I just bring a bag with my decks, memo pad, and pennies (we use them for tokens and counters). It's easy to set up and easy to clean up. I've played on a coffee table, the floor, even at a Burger King.

You can also skip using a memo pad and bring an iPod Touch/iPhone. There's a few pretty decent MtG scoring apps.

QUOTE(Urza @ Apr 24 2011, 05:55 PM) For one, you should just use http://www.mtgurl.com/

As opposed to putting it all in spoilers here.

Ex: http://www.mtgurl.com/NN5U

Thanks, will do.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I remember when Slivers first came out...
I bought my first box of packs THE DAY my friends had a cookout/party/massive MTG "battle" with like 15 or so people.

It was the first time I played that deck and it was never tested, contained 4 of each sliver + 2 Queens, some lands and not much else.

It was also the last time I played that deck since about 10 turns into the game I destroyed everyone with infinite Slivers. With trample. And like +5/+5.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
I bought my first box of packs THE DAY my friends had a cookout/party/massive MTG "battle" with like 15 or so people.

It was the first time I played that deck and it was never tested, contained 4 of each sliver + 2 Queens, some lands and not much else.

It was also the last time I played that deck since about 10 turns into the game I destroyed everyone with infinite Slivers. With trample. And like +5/+5.

Slivers was so much fun. It was actually also one of the few prebuilt decks that didn't suck out of the box (I'm talking the Legion era Sliver deck, not the promo deck).

I used to have a Sliver deck and although it was kinda average for a Sliver deck, it still won most matches against my friends. I dismantled it eventually since I never used it and I was gonna save Slivers for another day (and now with all these new Slivers from Time Spiral, it's even better).

EDIT: I also recently got OCTGN up and running and I was wondering if there were any tutorials for just setting up online games.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/article.a...hyrexia/spoiler

We did know all this already, but it's officially spoiled now.

Fuck, they brought back Karn? Wasn't that Urza's golem or something?

I don't know, I haven't really been a huge fan of the whole new Mirrodin set. I loved the original but the new one just seems kinda meh. There's definitely good cards but I just don't find it has as broad application as Zendikar did.

basher11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
uh, i have a lot of random red cards...

let's see.... akki avalanchers... forest?, goblin replica, mountain, mountain, goblin?

i don't really play, but i have some cards. >_>

bought a deck a few years ago.
my near by card store has a lot of magic cards.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:

Aww man... the whole Rathe Cycle was sexy as hell IMO (especially Tempest), but I definitely loved slivers. 2 weeks ago I was digging around and found my old blue/white counter-sliver deck that would always tear right through any decks my friends played, and had the overwhelming urge to play again. I'm sure it would probably get trampled by today's decks, but I was damn proud of it at the time. Also had an all-green speed deck that usually pounded the other player into submission by the 5th or 6th turn. The rate at which it could generate mana was just insane. Such fond memories...

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
injected11 said:
Also had an all-green speed deck that usually pounded the other player into submission by the 5th or 6th turn. The rate at which it could generate mana was just insane. Such fond memories...

I've been running an Eldrazi ramp deck and it's pretty sexy. Zendikar just brought forth tons of awesome ramp cards (reprinted Harrow, Khalni Heart Expedition, etc).

Plus I have an old copy of Belbe's Portal which is like pretty awesome with Eldrazi. You miss out on their casting abilities but getting them out for 3 mana is sweet.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
192.jpg
203.jpg

These are the only ramp cards anyone needs.

toguro_max

Trophies
Website
toguro_max.sites.uol.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
MtG... I used to play it a lot when I was 12 or something...
I still have my cards, and every rare in a while I play it with someone.
But my cards are no match for any today's deck, since my "newest" cart is from Revision 4, I think. Heck, I can't even counter flanking (is it spelled correctly?), because my cards are older than this "rule".
But I sure have good memories of playing it.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
Gotta say I'm not liking the new look of cards... although I think by calling it 'new' I just outed how long I've been out of M:TG.
I use to have a Black Lotus and 6 Moxs (one double) and like 8 of each dual land.

Another deck I had that pissed people off was my Strip Mine deck. Good Times....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, @salazarcosplay hi