Machinima Pays YouTubers to Talk Positive about Xbox One

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
A new Machinima promotion offers YouTubers cash in exchange for positive coverage of the Xbox One, opening up a whole host of questions about journalistic ethics in the world of YouTube personalities.
It started on Saturday, when word leaked on NeoGAF that the video group Machinima had sent out e-mails to their clients offering cash bonuses for coverage of Microsoft's newest console:

ku-xlarge.png

(CPM refers to the cost per thousand views, so this would be a bonus of $3 per 1,000 pageviews.)
A tweet from Machinima's Ron Smith, since deleted, confirmed that the promotion was real:

ku-xlarge.png
I don't know if this is illegal but Microsoft taking this action is implying that people still think negatively about it and that there's nothing good regarding it, which isn't true.​
Xbox One is just as good as PS4, the only real difference are the exclusive games to each one, otherwise they're pretty samey.​
Microsoft shame on you.​

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what you are on about.
Microsoft's All in One Xbox One™ Entertainment System is the ultimate gaming device. Where else can you get earth- shattering exclusives such as Dead Rising 3, Titanfall, Lococycle, and much more. The Kinect is a fabulous device that is set to take the living room by storm!
Everyone should buy the All in One Xbox One™ Entertainment System.

Where's my paycheck?

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now hang on a second here.
Nowhere in the article does it say That Microsoft had Any hand in this.
This is all Machinima's doing.
Now I'm not saying it doesn't look bad on both of them, but that does not mean Microsoft is telling Machinima to do this.
If anything, it's just a really bad wording of Garnering youtubers to get some positive advertisement on Machinima and Xbox One.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Now I'm not saying it doesn't look bad on both of them, but that does not mean Microsoft is telling Machinima to do this.
If anything, it's just a really bad wording of Garnering youtubers to get some positive advertisement on Machinima and Xbox One.
Could Machinima have a reason for holding this promotion other than being sponsored by Microsoft though?
Ontopic... I dunno, it seems reasonable to me. Paying people to do marketing for you is not really a new thing. Hell, it's pretty much one of the big things that made Apple popular AFAIK, but they didn't even have to pay for it. People were happy enough to do the marketing themselves.

Reactions: chavosaur

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I first heard this was happening, it was branded as a Microsoft move. It looks like machinma has become the middle-man in the process.

I don't follow this kind of thing though, so it would be good to get further clarification.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The "guidelines listed in the assignment" part will probably want to be elaborated upon before I commit too hard to anything but this just seems like the usual marketing nonsense that has been going on for some time at this point. Though I can not say I like it on the squishy illogical feelings side of me (I thought I had killed that part of me but it is like cancer) the more systems/results focused version of me says right on.

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
They could advertise it with pros and cons, but in this case they only want to outshine the pros of Xbox One without any flaws as if it were a perfect gaming console.

That's the problem with it.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Microsoft does promotions like this pretty regularly from what I remember, so it's hardly a big shock.

And, honestly, for as shitty as Machinima is, at least they're being honest about the deal here. That's honestly more than can be said for most of the other gaming publications out there.

They could advertise it with pros and cons, but in this case they only want to outshine the pros of Xbox One without any flaws as if it were a perfect gaming console.

That's the problem with it.

I don't think you understand how advertisement works.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Microsoft does promotions like this pretty regularly from what I remember, so it's hardly a big shock.

And, honestly, for as shitty as Machinima is, at least they're being honest about the deal here. That's honestly more than can be said for most of the other gaming publications out there.

I don't think you understand how advertisement works.
"Buy our system! It's great, even though it sucks at these things!"

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So, erm...I don't get it. Youtube starts flagging and removing copyrighted video material (let's plays) on a more thorough basis. And now machinima is paying people to upload...let's plays? :wacko:

On the advertisement itself...I don't really care. If they want to donate money to people uploading youtube video's...who are we to say they shouldn't do that?

In fact, shouldn't nintendo take an example from this sort of actions?
Nintendo: yes, if you put cutscenes in smash bros U, people will upload it so others can see it. And if they're awesome, maybe people will BUY THE FREAKING GAME!!! So don't go bitching as if youtubers spoil the surprise and be glad you don't even have to pay your fans for this service.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do. They want to sell as much as possible, duh.

But if they had fair play they wouldn't come up with this nonsense because no console is perfect.

No product is perfect, period. An ad is supposed to present the product in a positive light and catch the consumer's interest, not list each and every single pro and con. It's up to the consumer to take the initiative and do a little research.

On what Earth would, say, Nintendo promote the Wii U with an ad that went, "Buy the Wii U, there's some Marios and it's less expensive! But don't buy it because its prospects are just about shit, there's a crippling lack of third party support, its online infrastructure is still missing basic features, and the gamepad, its central feature, is extremely polarizing at best. The Wii U, wherever games are sold!"

Well, knowing Nintendo's marketing department...

Reactions: gamefan5

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I do. They want to sell as much as possible, duh.

But if they had fair play they wouldn't come up with this nonsense because no console is perfect.
Erm...you do know that "advertisement" and "fair play" are pretty much mutually exclusive, right? True fair play requires objectivity, and all advertisement is, by definition, biased.
On what Earth would, say, Nintendo promote the Wii U with an ad that went, "Buy the Wii U, there's some Marios and it's less expensive! But don't buy it because its prospects are just about shit, there's a crippling lack of third party support, its online infrastructure is still missing basic features, and the gamepad, its central feature, is extremely polarizing at best. The Wii U, wherever games are sold!"

Knowing Nintendo's fan base, they'll probably STILL love the advertisement for their honesty. :P

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
No product is perfect, period. An ad is supposed to present the product in a positive light and catch the consumer's interest, not list each and every single pro and con. It's up to the consumer to take the initiative and do a little research.

While you're correct I do have to say that I'd like that kind of advertisement for Wii U.

Personally I couldn't careless about third party support since I only buy Nintendo exclusive games for Nintendo consoles.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While you're correct I do have to say that I'd like that kind of advertisement for Wii U.

Personally I couldn't careless about third party support since I only buy Nintendo exclusive games for Nintendo consoles.

Knowing how lenient Nintendo is with YouTube videos, they'd probably assist Google in video take down :creep:

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
After all that is their content so they're in their right to take it back.

Although, it's not really necessary seeing how bloody rich Nintendo is and those little guys doing their Let's Play videos (wish they didn't talk while play -- they just try to sound funny) make some money off of it.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh god advertising, grab the pitchforks.
We ain't want none'a that shit. Fuck promoting the console we need more WiiU style success stor-
oh wait

$3 is the absolute worst promo i've ever honestly seen. That's not worth the effort at all. But objectively there's nothing wrong with this.

Reactions: Arras

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Wlak past the light and kill that giant mosquito.