Gaming Mac OS X?

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 1,605
  • Replies 13
D

Deleted_171835

OP
A few questions about Mac OS X. I'm interested in purchasing a Mac. How big of a change will it be to switch from Windows 7 to Snow Leopard? Is the Mac good for video editing? Does BootCamp present any problems when gaming on Windows 7? Any other advice? Thanks.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
olliepop2000 said:
why don't you try making your pc a hackintosh and see for yourself.
They're not that stable...Mess it up and you'll have a hard time getting it up and running again without a clean install

OP: OSX is very good for video editing. And no, you won't have any problems with gaming in 7 in Boot Camp

D

Deleted_171835

OP
Thanks. I have another question.

Let's say I install Windows 7 in a virtual PC and I try to run COD: MW2, Oblivion and such. Will it be extremely laggy and unplayable? And can I install Mac OS X in VMWare some virtual PC on my current computer? Will it work or is it a futile attempt?

Synchromatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Revolutionize said:
Thanks. I have another question.

Let's say I install Windows 7 in a virtual PC and I try to run COD: MW2, Oblivion and such. Will it be extremely laggy and unplayable? And can I install Mac OS X in VMWare some virtual PC on my current computer? Will it work or is it a futile attempt?
I would recommend not to use virtual software for games such as MW2. IIRC, it uses a virtual graphics card as well as shared ram.

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Less than a week of a learning curve. Made the switch a few years ago and never looked back.

Well, thats a lie. I've used Windows 7 and it just doesn't compare. OS X is so much better

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
juggernaut911 said:
Just so you know, Windows machines do video editing fine. I use primarily Premiere and After effects (with a few others) and I get stuff done fine.
this

sony vegas also is a good video editor

D

Deleted_171835

OP
I just tried Snow Leopard and I hate it. I like Windows 7 much better. I hate the user interface and the way folders are organized.

It is horrible. I'm definitely not going to switch. Maybe. I tried it on Virtual PC. I'll turn my PC into a Hackintosh on another partition and then judge it. I doubt it'll be any better then my first experience with it.

XWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
If you have a NVidia graphics card try Linux out as a free alternative to both. You can even try it without installing it using either a Live CD or a bootable USB (www.pendrivelinux.com).

I love Linux Mint 8 - do my own vid editing, graphics work and coding on it. I do also play a fair few games on it - CoD 5 but not tried MW2 on it as it as I have that on PS3.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
ZeWarrior said:
Just stay away from OS X, some people can't get used to it, I still use it sometimes.
I'm not going to get an iMac, now. OS X is crappy now that I've tried it and the learning curve is too big.
QUOTE(XWolf @ Feb 2 2010, 12:12 AM) If you have a NVidia graphics card try Linux out as a free alternative to both. You can even try it without installing it using either a Live CD or a bootable USB (www.pendrivelinux.com).

I love Linux Mint 8 - do my own vid editing, graphics work and coding on it. I do also play a fair few games on it - CoD 5 but not tried MW2 on it as it as I have that on PS3.

I already run Linux on the computer in my room. I don't use it on my primary computer because there are a few essential programs that aren't for Linux. My secondary PC (room PC) is just for gaming and such.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte