phantastic91

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
how do you make a skin?!? i used the m3 image converter thing then converted a picture and then put the image in the same folder as the skin converter. then i change the name to mainnds.bmp, but when i click convert it says "mainnds.bmp file length is wrong! It mast a 256*192 24bit color BMP format file.

help please~!

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
It's exactly as it says. Image must be 256x192 24bit. This means 256 pixels in width, 192 pixels in height, and with 24-bit color.

You said "change the name"... If you just renamed a jpg or a gif, it's not going to work. You have to convert it to a bmp. The easiest way to do this is copy and paste the image into Paint, then save it as a bmp (note that in the Save window, the Save type at the bottom shoudl be set to 24-bit).

Also, to create a skin for the M3, you need more than just one picture.
Mainnds.bmp is just the background for the main menu. There's also an image for the music player background, file list background, ebook background, a folder icon, and each of the main menu buttons.

kobewan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You probably edited the picture in photoshop.

Open it again in Paint, and select the color sampler tool. Double click the same pixel (so that you sample that pixel, and then redraw it with the same color) and save the picture. It should work now
biggrin.gif

Also, I would recommend using this skinner : http://home.clara.net/adamhodson/skinner-0.6.zip . Its pretty awesome, far better than the official one.

phantastic91

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i set up the whole thing already and now i just click just go...but then it says finish. now wat? haha where can i find it or am i not done already
sleep.gif
im dum

and thanks lakersfan for the link im gona use t hat next after im finshed with this one which took me 3 hours!!! AHH!!!

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
If it finished without errors, then look in that folder (the one with the program and your bmps) for a file called BACKNDS.000. That is the skin file. To use it on the M3, put it in the BACKING folder on your SD/CF card. If there's alread a skin with that filename there, you can keep both be renaming the file to BACKNDS.001 or any other extension.

Shinji

҉҉ ҉҉
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
The filenames in the BACKING folder can be BACKNDS_.___ with the underscores being any legal character.

Like the ones I have in mine right now are:
BACKNDS.BLK
BACKNDS.PNK these are the two I got from the M3 forums
BACKNDS1.MNU this is the skin that looks like the DS main menu

I'm interested to see your skin, phantastic91 (that sounds so wrong XD)

This makes me want to make a Phoenix Wright skin, hrm...I've got a weekend project now =D

Shinji

҉҉ ҉҉
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
This makes me want to make a Phoenix Wright skin, hrm...I've got a weekend project now =D

Share. Please.

*smacks himself for not thinking of it*
Will do. When I make it.
laugh.gif
I"ll make a new post for it when its done...

Seriously...I want it to be a good one, not like some of the skins I've seen before (the Ah! My Goddess and Mana ones come to mind >.>)

EDIT: I just reminded myself by looking at my ava caption that a Rocket Slime one would be cool too XD

EDIT2: Ive got it put together, but I need to give it some fine tuning like making the icons smaller, getting rid of that glitch border, and making the font readable on one of the backgrounds...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up