m3 lite Skinning help!

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by phantastic91, Oct 7, 2006.

Oct 7, 2006

m3 lite Skinning help! by phantastic91 at 2:46 AM (927 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. phantastic91
    OP

Member phantastic91 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    how do you make a skin?!? i used the m3 image converter thing then converted a picture and then put the image in the same folder as the skin converter. then i change the name to mainnds.bmp, but when i click convert it says "mainnds.bmp file length is wrong! It mast a 256*192 24bit color BMP format file.

help please~!

2. phantastic91
    OP

United States
    help someone?!?! -__- this is the only reason why i chose this over the sclite....

3. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    It's exactly as it says. Image must be 256x192 24bit. This means 256 pixels in width, 192 pixels in height, and with 24-bit color.

You said "change the name"... If you just renamed a jpg or a gif, it's not going to work. You have to convert it to a bmp. The easiest way to do this is copy and paste the image into Paint, then save it as a bmp (note that in the Save window, the Save type at the bottom shoudl be set to 24-bit).

Also, to create a skin for the M3, you need more than just one picture.
    Mainnds.bmp is just the background for the main menu. There's also an image for the music player background, file list background, ebook background, a folder icon, and each of the main menu buttons.

4. kobewan

Member kobewan GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You probably edited the picture in photoshop.

Open it again in Paint, and select the color sampler tool. Double click the same pixel (so that you sample that pixel, and then redraw it with the same color) and save the picture. It should work now [​IMG].

Also, I would recommend using this skinner : http://home.clara.net/adamhodson/skinner-0.6.zip . Its pretty awesome, far better than the official one.

5. phantastic91
    OP

United States
    i set up the whole thing already and now i just click just go...but then it says finish. now wat? haha where can i find it or am i not done already [​IMG] im dum

and thanks lakersfan for the link im gona use t hat next after im finshed with this one which took me 3 hours!!! AHH!!!

6. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    If it finished without errors, then look in that folder (the one with the program and your bmps) for a file called BACKNDS.000. That is the skin file. To use it on the M3, put it in the BACKING folder on your SD/CF card. If there's alread a skin with that filename there, you can keep both be renaming the file to BACKNDS.001 or any other extension.

7. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    The filenames in the BACKING folder can be BACKNDS_.___ with the underscores being any legal character.

Like the ones I have in mine right now are:
    BACKNDS.BLK
    BACKNDS.PNK these are the two I got from the M3 forums
    BACKNDS1.MNU this is the skin that looks like the DS main menu

I'm interested to see your skin, phantastic91 (that sounds so wrong XD)

This makes me want to make a Phoenix Wright skin, hrm...I've got a weekend project now =D

8. kobewan

Member kobewan GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Share. Please.

*smacks himself for not thinking of it*

9. phantastic91
    OP

United States
    ok i it just says Generate: BACKNDS: finish! and thats it. i cant find a file of what i created

10. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    Will do. When I make it. [​IMG] I"ll make a new post for it when its done...

Seriously...I want it to be a good one, not like some of the skins I've seen before (the Ah! My Goddess and Mana ones come to mind >.>)

EDIT: I just reminded myself by looking at my ava caption that a Rocket Slime one would be cool too XD

EDIT2: Ive got it put together, but I need to give it some fine tuning like making the icons smaller, getting rid of that glitch border, and making the font readable on one of the backgrounds...