Hacking Luma3DS - Noob-proof 3DS Custom Firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Are we really going to bicker about our choice of CFW? I have a Gateway because I bought it long before open source CFW existed. I mainly use AuReiNand these days but still occasionally use the Gateway because I have an extra 32GB MicroSD card in there in addition to my 64GB internal MicroSD - seems a shame to bin that 32GB.

There's no point anybody buying a Gateway now, but those who already own one would understandably like to continue to use it.

Last edited by sj33,

ImInDaShAdOwZz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Are we really going to bicker about our choice of CFW? I have a Gatewat because I bought it long before open source CFW existed. I mainly use AuReiNand these days but still occasionally use the Gateway because I have an extra 32GB MicroSD card in there in addition to my 64GB internal MicroSD - seems a shame to bin that 32GB.

There's no point anybody buying a Gateway now, but those who already own one would understandably like to continue to use it.
Hi, can you teach me how to use GW alongside A9LH? Just got A9LH up and running about an hour ago and now I'm lost. I can't use the Homebrew Menu by holding L on boot and I can't use DS exploit as it seems to have uninstalled during the process of setting up A9LH.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude I don't care. You can stick your gateway card wherever you want. I'd rather pay the devs than pay for a gateway card.
That would almost be a good point, if there were any devs or homebrew when the GW came out in the first place. And don't kid yourself; You're not even paying the devs.

Reactions: Madridi

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hi, can you teach me how to use GW alongside A9LH? Just got A9LH up and running about an hour ago and now I'm lost. I can't use the Homebrew Menu by holding L on boot and I can't use DS exploit as it seems to have uninstalled during the process of setting up A9LH.
Reinstall menuhax on your 9.2 NAND (whether it is your EmuNAND or your SysNAND. Set up menuhax to boot by holding L. Also make sure you have firmware90.bin in /aurei. Boot AuReiNand into your 9.2 NAND while holding L and it should boot into menuhax.

ImInDaShAdOwZz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Reinstall menuhax on your 9.2 NAND (whether it is your EmuNAND or your SysNAND. Set up menuhax to boot by holding L. Also make sure you have firmware90.bin in /aurei. Boot AuReiNand into your 9.2 NAND while holding L and it should boot into menuhax.
Thankyou :)

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
A merely turns the soft reboot into a cold boot (to put it simply). If you just press A it's like you cold booted by holding nothing. A+L is like cold booting with L and so on. I've just booted all my payloads just fine with A+L+button.

well oops, baka moi , i think i misunderstood it all.
i thought i had to press L+ bin only, didnt know that i had to press L+A+ the bin button , mmm needing 3 fingers then..! (sorry 4 fingers are needed for launching a different bin than the default, so one for power button and the 3 others for the titled bin of your choice x'D)
XD
thanks my dude , keep it up.

Last edited by leonmagnus99,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Do you have a .cia manager installed on your sysnand? Is your sysnand still on 9.0~9.2? Use browserhax to launch HBL, then use FBI.3dsx to install FBI.CIA or whatever. Also, install hblauncher_loader.cia. You can use that from now on to load HBL and you can load GW.3dsx from there, as long as you are booting AuReinand into sysnand using the firmware90.bin (hold L on power-on or PM me for a build that does that by default without holding any buttons). If you are on an N3DS using the 4.5 MSET, you can hold L while booting Gateway to get into the menu and reinstall the MSET exploit or you can just use the blue card to do that.

There is also Gateway_cia that will launch GW from a single button press on your home screen. https://github.com/Rohul1997/Gateway_cia/releases

I don't usually recommend menuhax with a9lh. It causes other confusion in some users and isn't needed, if you are set up properly.

Last edited by urherenow,

lettuce

Trophies
XP
Country
Didn't you download the file from here https://github.com/AuroraWright/AuReiNand/releases ? It says what's been changed. :P

Ah wasnt aware there had been soo many releases in the last 10 days or so, i scrolled down a bit and saw the changes. One thing i noticed it say to 'Please note that you must delete all patched_firmwares from the aurei folder with this release!', so i should delete the 'patched_firmware.bin' and 'patched_firmware_sys.bin' files completely off my SD card, i no longer need them and new ones dont need to be used?

VIERcntHOLZ

yep, theres missing an "u".
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm going to buy an R4i Flashcard to play .nds games. Got the newest Version of Aureinand and a solid A9LH (on SysNAND @ 10.7 and on Backups on 9.2).

If i want to use a R4i (or any other flashcard) - do i need to make an EmuNAND @ 9.2, and boot this one?
If yes, how? (What is this "Hold L to launch firmware90.bin"?)

I can stay @ 10.7 on SysNAND and just get an EmuNAND for those purposes, right?

fr3quency

Trophies
Website
fr3quency.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Greece
Ah wasnt aware there had been soo many releases in the last 10 days or so, i scrolled down a bit and saw the changes. One thing i noticed it say to 'Please note that you must delete all patched_firmwares from the aurei folder with this release!', so i should delete the 'patched_firmware.bin' and 'patched_firmware_sys.bin' files completely off my SD card, i no longer need them and new ones dont need to be used?
Just get the firmware.bin and firmware90.bin from the OLD folder and paste them in the NEW folder. These 2 are the only files you need. ANy other file will be recreated anew from the NEW version of AuReiNand. When a newer update will be available, repeat this process(process=copy firmware.bin and firmware90.bin)

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to buy an R4i Flashcard to play .nds games. Got the newest Version of Aureinand and a solid A9LH (on SysNAND @ 10.7 and on Backups on 9.2).

If i want to use a R4i (or any other flashcard) - do i need to make an EmuNAND @ 9.2, and boot this one?
If yes, how? (What is this "Hold L to launch firmware90.bin"?)

I can stay @ 10.7 on SysNAND and just get an EmuNAND for those purposes, right?
It's actually best to play NDS games from sysnand anyway. Emunand is not relevant, other than it causes people heartache with NDS and GBA stuff. You might, at most, have to either install flashcardtimewarp or a patched twl_nand, if your R4 doesn't simply work. But if it works on 1 without hassle, it will work on the other as well.

Reactions: VIERcntHOLZ

VIERcntHOLZ

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's actually best to play NDS games from sysnand anyway.
Okay, but as far as I understood i need a Flashcard (Like the R4i?) to play nds games, right? (Right now i'm able to play 3ds (.cia) games and GBA Games (via mGBA or standalone .cia installer) like a charm! (on SysNAND @ 10.7)

Emunand is not relevant, other than it causes people heartache with NDS and GBA stuff. With unlinked nands (which, they really should be, in many people's opinion) you need to install in both emunand AND sysnand for them to work.
Here you talking about GBA Stuff, and so on, or? Because i Followed the Plailect Guide for A9LH and "only got my SysNAND" - where I do not need an EmuNAND anymore, right?

You might, at most, have to either install flashcardtimewarp or a patched twl_nand, if your R4 doesn't simply work.
Correct my if i'm wrong - i'm about to buy this flashcard just for the sake of playing .nds games.
Is it possible to use this one on 10.7? or what would you recommend me to do? (I really just want to play the whole Pokémon Series - starting @GBA (Ruby and so on), over .nds, and at last X/Y. only thing that doesn't seem to work without a Flashcard are those .nds games)

@Edit: And what is this "Firmware 90" Stuff? can someone give me a hint, what this is used for?

Last edited by VIERcntHOLZ,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@VIERcntHOLZ That card should be fine. For that price though... couldn't you get a DSTwo? The DSTwo has been my go-to card for ages. It has super compatibility and speed. The better speed comes at a price of CRAP battery life, though (It drains your 3DS battery quick, even in sleep mode). Something to keep in mind...

The DSTwo+ is slightly better, but not worth the price (and the #1 feature bricks consoles if you use it with anything above GW_Ultra_3.4.1... GW emulation)

Edit: nevermind. The DSTwo price went back up, so stick with the card you're looking at unless money isn't an issue.

ImInDaShAdOwZz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Do you have a .cia manager installed on your sysnand? Is your sysnand still on 9.0~9.2? Use browserhax to launch HBL, then use FBI.3dsx to install FBI.CIA or whatever. Also, install hblauncher_loader.cia. You can use that from now on to load HBL and you can load GW.3dsx from there, as long as you are booting AuReinand into sysnand using the firmware90.bin (hold L on power-on or PM me for a build that does that by default without holding any buttons). If you are on an N3DS using the 4.5 MSET, you can hold L while booting Gateway to get into the menu and reinstall the MSET exploit or you can just use the blue card to do that.

There is also Gateway_cia that will launch GW from a single button press on your home screen. https://github.com/Rohul1997/Gateway_cia/releases
I don't have one on my sysNAND, no, how would I? Inject FBI into the Health and Safety app? sysNAND is 9.0. Also, would I install the hblauncher_loader.cia and Gateway_cia into sysNAND?

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have one on my sysNAND, no, how would I? Inject FBI into the Health and Safety app? sysNAND is 9.0. Also, would I install the hblauncher_loader.cia and Gateway_cia into sysNAND?
Thought I explained that already. If you're on sysnand 9.0-9.2, you can launch HBL via browserhax, and use FBI.3dsx to install FBI.cia.

Edit: If you get any errors with FBI.3dsx, place firmware90.bin in the aurei folder and boot your system while holding L.

http://smealum.github.io/3ds/
https://github.com/Steveice10/FBI/releases

ImInDaShAdOwZz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thought I explained that already. If you're on sysnand 9.0-9.2, you can launch HBL via browserhax, and use FBI.3dsx to install FBI.cia.
Sorry, I just needed some clarification as to whether I install the .cia files to sysNAND or emuNAND.

VIERcntHOLZ

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@VIERcntHOLZ That card should be fine. For that price though... couldn't you get a DSTwo? The DSTwo has been my go-to card for ages. It has super compatibility and speed. The better speed comes at a price of CRAP battery life, though (It drains your 3DS battery quick, even in sleep mode). Something to keep in mind...

The DSTwo+ is slightly better, but not worth the price (and the #1 feature bricks consoles if you use it with anything above GW_Ultra_3.4.1... GW emulation)

Edit: nevermind. The DSTwo price went back up, so stick with the card you're looking at unless money isn't an issue.

Actually, money "is not a problem" though i get all the games I want for free :D
I just want to get the "Everything in" Solution - so that i'm able to play
Gameboy (Which is possible right now trough Emulator/.cia install)
Gameboy Color (Which is possible right now trough Emulator/.cia install)
Gameboy Advanced (Which is possible right now trough Emulator/.cia install)
Gameboy DS (Which should be possible on this Flashcard, right?)
Gameboy 3DS (Which is possible right now trough .cia install)

The heavy question that i'm facing right now is, what flashcard i should buy.

Am I right, that, with Aureinand/A9LH I don't need a GateWay, because everything works fine/even more sophisticated with AureiNAND/A9LH, than it does on Gateway?
Am I right, that with that R4i Flashcard i can play .nds Games on AureiNAND/A9LH on 10.7?

Thanks in Advance! :-)

PS: And what is this "Firmware 90" Stuff? can someone give me a hint, what this is used for?

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I just needed some clarification as to whether I install the .cia files to sysNAND or emuNAND.
If you install it to sysnand, it will be in emunand, when you create an emunand with that sysnand.
If you already have an emunand with data that you don't want to lose, but don't already have a .cia manager installed, you either need to use Decrypt9WIP to inject FBI into Health&Safety app on emunand, or you need to downgrade emunand first.

Your immediate goal right now should be to install to sysnand, so you can install hblauncher_loader. Or you can simply install hblauncher_loader from FBI in HBL, if you want, but it gets annoying having to boot HBL every time you want to install a .cia.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Am I right, that, with Aureinand/A9LH I don't need a GateWay, because everything works fine/even more sophisticated with AureiNAND/A9LH, than it does on Gateway?
Am I right, that with that R4i Flashcard i can play .nds Games on AureiNAND/A9LH on 10.7?

If you don't already own a Gateway, then don't get one - AuReiNand and other CFW will do everything you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/q1474nWP0bI?si=5v445vycfskxD3V8